The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 All  This Thread  Reviews  Gear Database  Gear for sale     Latest  Trending
Why do people bash FL Studio?
Old 5th September 2018
Gear Maniac

A lot of interesting comments on this.
I have always loved FL just because it's different, and oriented as a tool in a way that makes sense for electronic music. A whole generation (after mine) grew up on slapping together music *in the computer* as opposed to sitting at a synth, and new tools definitely produce new sounds. The medium is the message.

That said I still open up Reason to record audio. Pretty much all the other DAW are old fashioned in that they aim to reproduce the visual and workflow experience of laying down linear tracks in a studio, which was the norm from the 60s-90s in analog world. The FL audio editor is usper awkward and I don't see why there isn't a way to just slot in an audio track in the pattern more sensibly.

It is definitely a "bro" DAW for 20 year olds who think a Honda Civic is a sports car and whatever, but still I think it's great for its originality.
Old 5th September 2018
Lives for gear
Used Fruity Loops back when it was free, along with CoolEditPro, because it was the only step sequencer based platform and it came with great rock and metal drum sounds. Then reason came out, and had better sounds and Cakewalk started to develop highly competitively. After that I tried other DAWs, Cubase, Logic, ProToolsFree, but always came back to Cakewalk because it always was first with the latest features, and any other DAW that came out with a new feature, soon became featured by Cakewalk. Nowadays, the entirety of FL is pretty much a right click away, built into Cakewalk, with even more groove making features that are easier to access. Cakewalk X3 Producer to me is the ultimate pinnacle and summation of every other DAW. I've used them all except PreSonus and Ableton, at the height of their popularity. Sonar X3 Producer leaves absolutely nothing to be desired from plugins to views and layouts, it can almost literally BE any of the other DAWs if you so choose, or learn it as is and it WILL BE all of the other DAWs within one or two mouseclicks, or a simple hotkey. All DAWs have ups and downs, and Sonar is all of the very best ups from all of them, the only down being you'd better know how to setup a stable installation of Microsoft Windows from the hardware up, or Bill Gates will get a crash report that once was your hard work haha But once you have your computer built to run Cakewalk, you can do anything they can do, better and faster, tracking to mixing to master, synths and realistic bass and drums, mix effects, pitch correction, tempo and time signature changes, full MIDI even control, multiple take lanes and automated everything, just don't have any other threads running from other programs that aren't integrated via ReWire or ASIO haha
Old 5th September 2018
Gear Addict

fl studio is just too easy to use its the dominant DAW used now isnt it for composing and making beats? you can make drum patterns within seconds
Old 5th September 2018
Lives for gear

I started using Fruity Loops back in college (2.5). I used to love it. It was easy to use. Once the Piano Roll came around it really changed the application and I was doing some really cool stuff with. However when it came time to get serious about music I moved to more "serious" DAWs, moved to Logic 5.5 (which I hated coming from Fruity Loops) and moved to Reason instead.

A few years later I bought myself a MacBook Pro (the first one), moved back to Logic and never looked back. Anywho I downloaded the FLStudio 20 demo recently to my mac to see what it was like after all these years. There are things I like about it but at the moment I have too many DAWs on my machine (just bought Bitwig) and FLStudio is totally alien to how all of my other DAWs work.

Personally the main reason I think people don't take the software seriously is because of the way it looks. It seems to value aesthetics more often than functionality and even in that department it seems to go for an over the top candy coated look versus something more functional or utilitarian like Logic, Studio One or Ableton. It makes it looks like a toy.
Old 3rd June 2019
Here for the gear
Like others suggested, the main reasons it’s bashed are superficial and steeped in history. It’s a full-fledged DAW with a workflow geared especially well toward electronica. Sometimes buggy but nothing too major; all DAWs have their bugs and annoyances, and Image-Line support including the community is generally responsive. It does seem unfair toward FLS and its users that gearslutz doesn’t have a subforum for FLS when even comparable newcomers like Bitwig and Studio One have one already. Would massively help FLS users and encourage more conversation of FLS on gearslutz if all convos of this DAW were consolidated in a subforum.
Old 4 weeks ago
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by varun213 View Post
fl studio is just too easy to use its the dominant DAW used now isnt it for composing and making beats? you can make drum patterns within seconds
Agree on this. I think the ease of use attracts a lot of users that make beginner music (meaning very basic chord progression, basic rhythms, e.t.c.) so it's a downward spiral from there. Its actually really full featured.

The only thing I am not sure about is, do the final wave files it renders sound like they came from FL? My guess is, a wave file is a wave file. All DAWs render them the same.
Old 4 weeks ago
Gear Head

Seems quite elitist that there's no FL subforum tbh.
Old 4 weeks ago
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sypowicz View Post
Seems quite elitist that there's no FL subforum tbh.
I totally agree. I think it might be because GS is mostly old timer pros who are on the older established DAWs like Cubase and Pro Tools. FL has become a real competitor in the DAW market space and they should give it a separate subforum.
Topic:

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search