The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
Does Tracktion sound as Good???
Old 15th January 2007
Lives for gear

Does Tracktion sound as Good???

I have Tracktion and love the program and everything that I can do with it, but I have a question to those who have used it and some other program. Can Tracktion record a track just as well as the other programs? Translation-Under the same circumstances (Mic, Preamp, interface, cables) will a 24/96 file record as well on Tracktion as a 24/96 file on Cubase, ProTools, Logic...etc... Thanks for everybody's help on the subject, I love this website except for the fact of the money leaving my bank account.
cam
Old 16th January 2007
Lives for gear

cameron....
its all in the input signal chain to the daw.
be happy n dont worry.
just make music.
ps.....if u doubt me record a track in for example what i use in my sig and youll see i'm right.
you can make a good song in any daw software these days imho.
me personally i didnt like the traktion interface or some of the low level midi features.
but thats just personal preference.
Old 16th January 2007
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by camerondye View Post
Can Tracktion record a track just as well as the other programs? Translation-Under the same circumstances (Mic, Preamp, interface, cables) will a 24/96 file record as well on Tracktion as a 24/96 file on Cubase, ProTools, Logic...etc...
Yes it can! Don't worry about it.

And I agree Tracktion has a nice interface.
Old 16th January 2007
Lives for gear

I have an RME Fireface 800, Great River Pre, and a Mojave Mic. My lead vocal chain is pretty good I think. I just wanted to make sure, I love Tracktion and have no problems with it. If I needed to switch, I would rather do it now. Thanks for everybody's help.
cam
Old 16th January 2007
Gear Maniac

Quote:
Can Tracktion record a track just as well as the other programs?
No! Your songs will sound much better in Pro Tools.

Just kidding! heh heh
Old 16th January 2007
Lives for gear

Yeah I know, it's a silly question to some. But I am still trying to find faults in Tracktion and why more people don't use it. Besides poor automation, midi power (which doesn't affect me currently), and the cursed Mackie name...I really love the program. I have a friend who uses ProTools and still can't do some basic things that I learned in Tracktion very quickly. It just works for me, people who learned other ways will say 1 is better than the other, but to each his own as long as it records as well...I'm sticking with Tracktion.
Old 16th January 2007
As fars as numbers go, Tracktion is one of the few DAW softwares that has a 64 bit audio enine.
Old 16th January 2007
Lives for gear
Quote:
Yeah I know, it's a silly question to some. But I am still trying to find faults in Tracktion and why more people don't use it. Besides poor automation, midi power (which doesn't affect me currently), and the cursed Mackie name...I really love the program. I have a friend who uses ProTools and still can't do some basic things that I learned in Tracktion very quickly. It just works for me, people who learned other ways will say 1 is better than the other, but to each his own as long as it records as well...I'm sticking with Tracktion.
Delay compensation can be a bitch. It is a pain to load multimbral VSTis, the MIDI blows.

Thats why I stopped using it. I still think it is great, especially for audio only...I just had to make a change.
Old 16th January 2007
Lives for gear

What is wrong with the delay compensation, I have problems with stuff lining up every now and again but I don't know why...any help
cam
Old 17th January 2007
Here for the gear

Pro Tracktion

I've been using Tracktion (controlled with a Yamaha 01X) for a couple of years and would thoroughly recommend it (especially for those on a budget). I'm still discovering new features and I really feel it is educating me about audio composition and production. I find it a good VST/plug in host - easy to get going quickly....flexible WYSIWYG. Enjoy.

Raw Material have made a good DAW affordable and should be commended for making music production more accessible.

Sometimes disabling 'snapping' helps cure the track line-up problem mentioned in the previous post.
Old 17th January 2007
FNM
Gear Maniac

Quote:
What is wrong with the delay compensation, I have problems with stuff lining up every now and again but I don't know why...any help
cam
The delay compensation doesn't work on aux's so it can be annoying for plugins with a lot of delay.

As far as the tracks not lining up, this probably has to do with Tracktion not recognizing the delay that your interface is introducing. Click on an input and click "auto detect" in the properties menu. You'll get a prompt. Now hook an output from you interface (could be the headphone out) into whatever preamp you are using and back into the interfaces input. Now click auto detect on that prompt (I would turn end-to-end off). Tracktion sends a beep though your signal and figures out what the delay is. For me personally it was the same for all my inputs so they are all at a about 51ms.
Old 17th January 2007
Lives for gear

[[[[The delay compensation doesn't work on aux's so it can be annoying for plugins with a lot of delay.

As far as the tracks not lining up, this probably has to do with Tracktion not recognizing the delay that your interface is introducing. Click on an input and click "auto detect" in the properties menu. You'll get a prompt. Now hook an output from you interface (could be the headphone out) into whatever preamp you are using and back into the interfaces input. Now click auto detect on that prompt (I would turn end-to-end off). Tracktion sends a beep though your signal and figures out what the delay is. For me personally it was the same for all my inputs so they are all at a about 51ms.]]]]

You know I remember doing that on my Mackie Satellite before I got my RME and I've never gone back to do it on the RME. I bet that is part or all of the issue. I will try that tonight and see if it fixes the issue. Luckily I haven't had the RME very long and done anything super important on it.

Does anybody who uses Tracktion do mixing and automation in other programs? It seems kind of annoying to use the automation on it. I have a control surface so it isn't horrible, but it seems like there should be a better way. The other complaint about the bad effects is true, but I got a UAD-1 Ultra card, voxengo, psp, and some others to take care of that.
Old 17th January 2007
Lives for gear

nothing wrond with Traktion!!

Hey dude!

As they say here,nothing wrong at all with traktion, if you love it and you're very comforatble with it and espcially if it answer your needs and does not give you any trouble finalizing your project, stick with it. And as they say too, its not the software, its how is your chain vocal or recording setup is thats all, any DAW out there today can dot he job simply if you know how to use it well and know what you can do with it. Othen then that, at the END its a matter of taste. But one thing i can add, nothing is stopping you mean while to try another DAW that really captured your attention & see by yourself, anyhow, you ain't got nothing to loose, you still have Traktion as your main DAw that u really know inside - out right? Just like me, using Nuendo here but i'm floowing REAPER's daw and getting into it slowly and more familiar with it and loving it even if i did not switch all the way simply because i ain't very comfy with it yet *even thought its quite simple to use) but i'm very use to Nuendo .. thats all

Do your thing man!!
Old 19th January 2007
Here for the gear

Another vote for tracktion -

It won't give you any less sound quality than a pro app, and it's easier to use. I think the -6 pan law, that it has, adds punch and dimension to my mixes. I've mixed in PTHD, PTLE, and digital performer. What am I mixing with now? Tracktion.

FWIW.
Old 23rd January 2007
Lives for gear

I just did the auto-detect on my RME FF800 and on 7 & 8 it was .02 seconds and on the #1 it was -.09 seconds. How is that possible? Lately when the delays start getting messed up a little I restart the driver on the RME in Tracktion and it ends up working better. It usually happens when I start messing with too many VST's off of the UAD-1 card.

BTW, I love the UAD card. I have some great other effects, but nothing I have had compares to the effects on the UAD-1 card. There are still some other comps that I use to get difference. I just got the Neve bundle and they are all just amazing. Having the 33609 compress and limit is amazing on drums. The 1176 was great on drums until I heard the 33609. The Neve 1073 is the absolute best I've heard on bass drum and snare. Also, the SE versions of the effects sound the same to me, I'm sure others can hear the difference but I can't yet. Thanks for all the help and posts, you guys are great.
Cameron

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search