The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
Can Garage Band be exported to open in Cubase?
Old 27th May 2015
Can Garage Band be exported to open in Cubase?

I don't use Garage band myself, but my girlfriends niece does. I've been asked to help her record some songs she's written. But I use Cubase.

With every experience of trying to make anything to do with Apple, Mac or 'i' work with anything that is NOT Apple, Mac or 'i' ...including simple USB chargers, there's been a total lack of compatibility with anything else Although, I'd THINK Garage Band would be able to at least export standard Midi Tracks? Or does Garage Band also suffer from the incest of Apple?

I wouldn't expect any DAW software to export an entire project and be able to be imported into another directly. At the very least, if as suspected, and Apples 'incest is always best' is the case, I guess she could export a simple mp3 or .wav mix.

What I'm really hoping for is that she could export individual audio & midi tracks from Garage Band. Over the last few years I've only been shown Garage band in action for a few minutes at a time by non serious young 'fun-timers'.
Old 27th May 2015
Deleted User
1. GB will not export midi files, you need Logic ProX for that
2. She can export the song as AAC, MP3 or AIFF file format but would have to MUTE all the other tracks and do one at a time to get them all if you wanted them separate.
3. She could get LogicProX and you'd be golden

Someone correct me if Im wrong but thats what Im seeing with GB open here
Old 29th May 2015
Thanks shanabit for replying with your experience with Garage band. So it's just as I thought about Garage Band being an Apple product, not being compatible with anything else in the world but itself. I would have thought exporting standard midi would an option, but then I'm not surprised.

Currently I have no idea how many tracks she's got going, how many are audio, and how many are some Apple equivalent of Midi/Instrument tracks. Nor do I know how much skill she has using the program.

I'll have to ask her to send me a stereo audio mix, then hopefully at some point she could send me individual tracks. I'd imagine she doesn't have much going on being a beginner.
Old 29th May 2015
Here for the gear

You can see some of the raw tracks if you right click on the garageband save file and go to show package contents. I think they are under media. I cant find any of my old garageband files with midi stuff though so I can't comment if software tracks or loops are also stored there.
Old 29th May 2015
Gear Guru

send her this video. I guess when she's finished exporting she could save the song
and add EXP in the name, so she knows it was an export.

that way she can load that song at any time again, and have all the effects
switched off already. in case anything has gone south.

Old 29th May 2015
Hey thanks spaceman, choko & muser...that was very helpful & informative. Garage Band does seem pretty cool for young people as an intro to getting into creating music.

I got a hold of the girl last night by text, and briefly got a very rough idea of what she has going in GB. As it turns out, she's mostly been writing lyrics, and uses GB just to help her remember melodies for them. She also said she's not very good at composing, so likely there's very few tracks involved...maybe just her singing, or entering notes in some kind of instrument track for melody, and probably a drum beat. I'm not aware that she plays any instruments, which would mean any accompanying music would be extremely crude & minimal due to not knowing how to properly put chords, rhythms & melodies together.

She did state that we'd have to recreate her song idea's from scratch. Knowing this will at least make the task of getting her idea's out of GB and sent to me easy, all she needs to do is send me a simple audio/mp3 mix. Any tracks she does have aren't going to be very usable, and I'll have to bang out/recreate anything she's done myself on any given instrument.

So it sounds like my job at helping her with music is going to be more involved than I thought, basically almost writing the songs for her. I don't know how well I can make her idea's come to the life she may be expecting...her being about 19 years old, into boy/girly bands, me being 54 and growing up on Classic/radio Rock, lol

Ah, it should be fun anyway, and I'll be happy to help a young person out with music

Thanks again!
Old 29th May 2015
Deleted User
Keep in mind that if you go through all that and in fact play and write all the parts you are the songwriter as well.
Old 29th May 2015
Quote:
Originally Posted by shanabit View Post
Keep in mind that if you go through all that and in fact play and write all the parts you are the songwriter as well.
Yeah I thought of that, as well as the producer. I'll just have to wait a few weeks for her college classes to break to find out just how far along her songs are. I won't be expecting any royalty checks
Old 29th May 2015
Deleted User
Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve Fogal View Post
Yeah I thought of that, as well as the producer. I'll just have to wait a few weeks for her college classes to break to find out just how far along her songs are. I won't be expecting any royalty checks
Heres what happens, you spend all your time doing it , finish the product and then they let it just sit there and no one knows what you can do cause they are too lazy to even put it on iTunes LOL, just my experience here. If you want to hear that EP Ill gladly let you listen
Old 30th May 2015
Gear Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by chokobo View Post
The problem with the eMix method is that you have to do multiple passes. The freeze tracks is way way way faster
well that would be worth a try. here are some details.

https://discussions.apple.com/thread/6516735

Audio Interchange File Format - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

switch off the effects. unhide the locks. switch locks on. find the files and copy the folder/files.
check your app can handle the AIFF-C format.
Quote:
sowt not compressed PCM, little-endian Apple, Inc.
Old 10th December 2015
Lives for gear

Quote:
1. GB will not export midi files, you need Logic ProX for that
2. She can export the song as AAC, MP3 or AIFF file format but would have to MUTE all the other tracks and do one at a time to get them all if you wanted them separate.
3. She could get LogicProX and you'd be golden

Someone correct me if Im wrong but thats what Im seeing with GB open here
Scott Troyer » Blog » Export MIDI from GarageBand
Getting a MIDI output from Garageband | BeatBuddy User Forum

Im researching this as well...GB to cubase and/or PT12. Havent actually tried this yet but thought Id share.
Old 10th December 2015
Quote:
Heres what happens, you spend all your time doing it , finish the product and then they let it just sit there and no one knows what you can do cause they are too lazy to even put it on iTunes LOL, just my experience here. If you want to hear that EP Ill gladly let you listen
Well, I've finished one of the songs. I also offered to set up an artist page FOR her ...along with the appropriate credits, which she agreed. I'll be doing that just after I revisit the final mix

I had found an on-line format converter to make the Garage Band file a usable one for Cubase to see & import. No instrumentation at all was provided, just her simply singing into a laptop. had to splice up her audio to fit into a consistent BPM! I created all the music surrounding her vocal melody idea's, and then she came over to properly re-record all the vocals, with several takes for me to comp. It actually turned out fairly decent IMO
Old 14th April 2020
Here for the gear

Hello, I am planning on starting a project with another musician. Im looking to see how it would go to share my instrument files while using "Cubase" and export them to
GarageBand daw. Im not familiar with apple os, nor GB. Can anyone help?
📝 Reply