The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
Travis Scott Vocals
Old 18th February 2015
Gear Head

Talking Travis Scott Vocals

What did they do to this mans vocals? I hear so many different things, reverb, distortion. How would YOU personal achive this effect?

Old 18th February 2015
Gear Head

Anyone?
Old 20th February 2015
Gear Head

Would really help me if any body weighed in their guess on this I've been trying to find out what has been done to these vocals for weeks
Old 21st February 2015
Here for the gear

i say experiment man....i dont know who recorded or mixed his vox but here is what i would try.....i just discovered this track about 2 months ago....i also dig how he did his vox on that track with meek mill called Leanin.....i dont really record or mix much hip hop but i love some of the techniques used...this will probably be long and all over the place lol ()

say you are given a vocal that is clean man.....no effects or nothing.....to try and mimick this track you put up (and like i said this is just some approaches i might try)

i hear some sort of distortion or overdrive on his voice first and foremost......also some filters of some sort....his voice has pitch correction used in its extremes (autotune i assume) also what i dig is the pitched down sound of his voice....i think its a dope texture it adds

so....here is 1 way to try it man
have your track with no effects.....double that track and pitch it down a few semitones.....now you should have 2 tracks 1 clean and one pitched down.....now create a couple of aux tracks....one aux would be distortion, or overdrive or a tape saturation plugin.....in another aux use a voice plugin like formant or something of that nature....Would have helped if you told me what program you are running....i could have told you the names of some plugins that your daw comes with...now send you original tracks to those and start tweaking...

once you get where you want as far as the sound....i would create multiple instances of the vox...like 4 tracks of it...hell or more.for example....

track 1 vox clean
track 2 vox clean w/overdrive
track 3 vox pitched down/filter
track 4 vox pitched down/overdrive
track 5 vox clean with autotune

i dont know you or your level of engineering capability....but like i said this is one way to experiment...
now what you do is throughout the song you can cut out parts where you dont want certain things....for instance....you want the vox clean throughout the whole song, then when you say a certain words like in the travis scott song i really dug the part where he said "we were rollin rollin rollin rollin stoned" you could only have track 1, 4, 5 and 3 playing....so you would be cutting the rest of the track out.....pretty much doing this throughout the song.....

OR...if you are good with automation you could have on 1 clean track of this....and a bunch of sends and get to work...no wrong way man...but for the sound of his vox i say start with pitching things down, formant, overdrive and autotune...

hope this helps....
Old 22nd February 2015
Gear Head

Quote:
Originally Posted by FatVonFree View Post
i say experiment man....i dont know who recorded or mixed his vox but here is what i would try.....i just discovered this track about 2 months ago....i also dig how he did his vox on that track with meek mill called Leanin.....i dont really record or mix much hip hop but i love some of the techniques used...this will probably be long and all over the place lol ()

say you are given a vocal that is clean man.....no effects or nothing.....to try and mimick this track you put up (and like i said this is just some approaches i might try)

i hear some sort of distortion or overdrive on his voice first and foremost......also some filters of some sort....his voice has pitch correction used in its extremes (autotune i assume) also what i dig is the pitched down sound of his voice....i think its a dope texture it adds

so....here is 1 way to try it man
have your track with no effects.....double that track and pitch it down a few semitones.....now you should have 2 tracks 1 clean and one pitched down.....now create a couple of aux tracks....one aux would be distortion, or overdrive or a tape saturation plugin.....in another aux use a voice plugin like formant or something of that nature....Would have helped if you told me what program you are running....i could have told you the names of some plugins that your daw comes with...now send you original tracks to those and start tweaking...

once you get where you want as far as the sound....i would create multiple instances of the vox...like 4 tracks of it...hell or more.for example....

track 1 vox clean
track 2 vox clean w/overdrive
track 3 vox pitched down/filter
track 4 vox pitched down/overdrive
track 5 vox clean with autotune

i dont know you or your level of engineering capability....but like i said this is one way to experiment...
now what you do is throughout the song you can cut out parts where you dont want certain things....for instance....you want the vox clean throughout the whole song, then when you say a certain words like in the travis scott song i really dug the part where he said "we were rollin rollin rollin rollin stoned" you could only have track 1, 4, 5 and 3 playing....so you would be cutting the rest of the track out.....pretty much doing this throughout the song.....

OR...if you are good with automation you could have on 1 clean track of this....and a bunch of sends and get to work...no wrong way man...but for the sound of his vox i say start with pitching things down, formant, overdrive and autotune...

hope this helps....
Very Very interesting sir thank you so much for taking the time to typing all of this out for me.

I just got Logic pro x and have all waves bundles. Going to open it today and try for the first time
Old 22nd February 2015
Here for the gear

word, hey ima mess with this too in logic pro x and see if i can help ya...dont have much goin on today anyway....will get back with ya man....really interested in this....will even send you a session file if i get close....
Old 17th June 2016
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by OfficialJayDeuce View Post
Anyone?
Quote:
Originally Posted by FatVonFree View Post
word, hey ima mess with this too in logic pro x and see if i can help ya...dont have much goin on today anyway....will get back with ya man....really interested in this....will even send you a session file if i get close....

Did any of you have much success since posting? Would like to know what you found works/stay away from etc
Old 17th June 2016
Yea,his reverb'd vocals are wicked cool. Best I can tell, there's an infinite reverb on an aux that is being automated. Along with aux send reverb automation with what has already been mentioned above.
Old 17th June 2016
Here for the gear

Yeah it was pretty easy to nail it down. I semt ole boy above a logic pro x session file. Then later i re did it with a lot less effects. Fun stuff man. Expirement and use ya ears.
Old 3 weeks ago
Here for the gear

Travis Scott stargazing vocal preset

I found this Travis Scott stargazing vocal preset its great for me. Its only for fl studio tho... https://sellfy.com/p/k5xmx4/
Topic:

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search