The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
Reaper and two Audiofire 12
Old 6th February 2015
Here for the gear

Reaper and two Audiofire 12

Will reaper see 24 inputs and output or will Reaper see only one audiofire 12.
I will use the word clock to tie the two units.
I asking before I install two audiofires
If reaper will work what do I need to do.
Old 6th February 2015
Gear Nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by Straight eight View Post
I will use the word clock to tie the two units.
I asking before I install two audiofires
If reaper will work what do I need to do.
I used this configuration for many years. It will work perfectly. Both interfaces will showup in Reaper. Just configure your inputs/outputs and away you go.
Old 6th February 2015
Quote:
Are you using a Mac or a Windows computer? Reaper will support the (24) input channels of audio the (2) Audiofire 12s will generate, but that's not the issue. If you simply plug the two Firewire interfaces in at the same time, you will probably only be able to select one or the other.

I have no experience using multiple interfaces under Windows, but on a Mac, it's possible to configure the System Audio/MIDI Control Panel to make the (2) separate 12-channel interfaces look like one 24-channel interface. That's called configuring an "Aggregate Audio Device". Once the "Aggregate Device" is configured, Reaper should see it as a new, single I/O selection option.

There are a number of on-line articles about setting up "Aggregate Devices" under Mac OS X. (Search for: "Mac aggregate audio devices"). Don't know if you can do this under Windows OS.

On a Mac, the limitations on track count will be your system (processor speed, available RAM, how "clean" your system is (minimization of unnecessary background tasks), and most of all disk write speed), not Reaper. 24 channels at 24bit resolution require high I/O throughput and a fast disk drive. You will probably have to increase the I/O buffer settings to at least double what you're using for (1) Audiofire-12.

Finally, if you do configure both interfaces to "look like" one new 24-channel interface, and you find your disk drive is too slow, it is possible to set up Reaper to support (2) parallel slow drives to raise disk write speed. That is done within Reaper itself and is called "Multiple Disk Recording Paths". That can increase the number of tracks available if your single disk drive is too slow.

I've configured Aggregate I/O on an iMac (OS X 10.10.2 using a Firewire to Thunderbolt Apple adapter cable) and a Powerbook (OS X 10.8), and both worked fine using Logic 9 Pro and Logic X, but again, it's not the DAW that is configured, it's at the OS level.

If you're using Windows, you may want to contact ECHO directly, and ask their recommendations.

Quote:
I will use the word clock to tie the two units...
Yes, you need to lock them together with word clock to prevent clicks due to sample sync "slippage" errors.

Last edited by Lotus 7; 6th February 2015 at 03:38 PM..
Old 5th July 2018
Here for the gear

I am using 2 audiofire 12 mixers ganged together. When I set up the input and output aliases they come out right, but the hardware names are not. How do I change the hardware names in Reaper to match the input and output aliases in Eaper? Quad core mac mini with 500gb solid state hard drive and 16 gigs of ram.
📝 Reply