The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
Peaking when recording Multi-Ef­fects Plugins
Old 7th August 2014
Here for the gear

Peaking when recording

Hey there

I am trying to record my Moog Sub Phatty with a small tube preamp and a small M-Audio audio interface. But it starts peaking whenever i turn it up just a little bit.

What am i doing wrong?

Cheers
Old 7th August 2014
Deleted User
Set the main volume on the MOOG to 3/4 volume

Moog line out to LINE IN on the Tube Preamp, Line out of tube pre to LINE IN on the M-Audio. Also, make sure your m-AUDIO is set to line level and not mic

In your DAW you should be peaking at -12 to -18 area
Old 7th August 2014
Here for the gear

Thanks. Where do i set it to line level? I can't seem to find anything on the m-audio. Am i blind or should i find it in the software?

PS - i am working in Logic 8
Old 7th August 2014
Lives for gear

Which Maudio interface, and it should say in the manual...
Old 7th August 2014
Here for the gear

Hm. Its the mobilepre USB. I found the manual online but it just said:
"This 1/4” balanced connector
accepts an instrument or line level signal for Channel 2 of the
MobilePre USB. This input is ideal for recording guitar, bass or
synthesizer"
Old 7th August 2014
Lives for gear

Well, you are sending a line out into a preamp, and the preamp into the interface. As shanabit says, make sure they are all set for LINE level and you use the correct inputs.

The manual says "The Instrument/Line input accepts an instrument level signal, such as an electric guitar or bass, or a line level signal, like a synthesizer or drum machine.The Channel 1 and Channel 2 Gain controls on the front panel control the level of the Instrument/Line inputs. Adjust the gain control while watching the meter in your digital recording software. If your recording software doesn’t have an input meter, you can check the tiny meter on the MobilePre USB’s front panel."

Which is a little oblique. What it means is turn the knob down all the way for line level, and bring it up for instruments if you need the extra level boost.

So use the knob to match the levels even if all the way down is where it works best! That's pretty simple, isn't it!?! Part of the problem is a very badly written manual, part of it is thinking you need to turn it up at al. Are you watching the meters?

You might need the same procedure with whatever the preamp is. Do you really need that preamp in the circuit? How does it sound plugging the Moog directly into the interface? Maybe you read on the interweb that it will give you more "color" or something. Try it with and without the pre and see what you like better on playback! You can also run the Moog into an amp and mic that if that's the sound you want...

Best,
L
Old 7th August 2014
Here for the gear

Great. Thanks for the reply! I'll try these things out!
Topic:

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search