The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
Yahama HS8's VS M-Audio M3-8's Studio Monitors
Old 7th August 2014
Yahama HS8's VS M-Audio M3-8's

I'm in need of some feedback guys..

M-Audio M3-8

Yamaha HS8

Would love some new monitors at my home setup for mixing/critical listening with potential for a sub later ..

My budget is basically around this area and I'm kinda torn between the two, although I haven't had the opportunity to listen to either one I'm hoping maybe some of you might have and are willing to share some insight.. I'm upgrading from maudio bx5a and these just don't translate very well ..

Cheers!!!
Old 7th August 2014
Lives for gear

Ever consider a pair JBL LSR308s.
Old 7th August 2014
Lives for gear

For the money, yamy HS8 or equator D8 if ya ask me.

It may or may not be a good idea to add a sub to that setup, that depends on the music you're going to listen to on them.
If it's seriously bass heavy music, say EDM, it may be a good idea.

If it's not that nor something similar, mind that the vaaast majority of people will listen to your music without subs.
Also yamy HS8's go pretty low.

If you're confident you're gonna add a sub though I'd get 5" monitors.
The suggestion here is the little brothers of the two monitors mentioned before, the HS5 and the D5.
Old 7th August 2014
Quote:
Originally Posted by RRCHON View Post
Ever consider a pair JBL LSR308s.
You know I haven't but I just saw a pretty good deal from sweetwater on JBL, Buy one monitor get the second half price!!

jbl-lsr-3-series | Sweetwater.com

Will definitely look into these..Thanks
Old 7th August 2014
Quote:
Originally Posted by spambot_2 View Post
For the money, yamy HS8 or equator D8 if ya ask me.

It may or may not be a good idea to add a sub to that setup, that depends on the music you're going to listen to on them.
If it's seriously bass heavy music, say EDM, it may be a good idea.

If it's not that nor something similar, mind that the vaaast majority of people will listen to your music without subs.
Also yamy HS8's go pretty low.

If you're confident you're gonna add a sub though I'd get 5" monitors.
The suggestion here is the little brothers of the two monitors mentioned before, the HS5 and the D5.
Thank you for the input.. Although I had not heard about Equator before I'm really digging the fact that they stand comparison with some speakers costing significantly more. The 5" monitors for 2.1 actually makes a lot of sense !! Thanks

Happy Mixing!!
Old 14th February 2015
Here for the gear

5s will get way too overpowered by a studio sub!

I had the hs5s and the hs7s, never had the m-audio 3-ways but I did hear the * inch 2 ways that maudio put out just while at a friends studio not extensively but they sounded good and I was excited because they werent expensive relative to powered reference monitors. Excited about the 3ways now too and heres why combined with my opinion of the Yamahas.

These were the only speakers I used to recommend to people putting together their first studio and they sound fantastic for the price and compared to more pricey speakers in my opinion although I can't speak on the durability and construction of them because I WILL KILL YOU TWICE IF YOU BREAK THE THINGS I BOUGHT THAT I CANT AFFORD so neither I or anyone else has had a chance to damage any of the ones that I had. I also have pretty bad tinnitus from working security and sound and lights without ear protection when I was younger at shows where they overdrove their gain to levels that i'll never understand the reason for. Someday I will travel back in time to destroy them and everything they love or care about for this but I am way too far behind schedule to even still be on this tangent so -SELFEDIT!-

Sorry about that, yes as I was saying the Yamahas I know very well and you cannot go wrong with them and thats a lot of money.

I HIGHLY HIGHLY advise you to go with the 8' hs7 or hs8s even if you plan to add a sub later. I had the Yamaha and KRK 10' subs with 5' tops a few times and combinations and in my opinion that is way to much sub for the 5's to keep up with but the Yamahas also are DDtits for the 80 Hz high pass I don't know if its sloped or not but whatever they both sound great but you're much better off waiting to get the sub and getting the 8's they have enough low end to keep you going till you have enough for the sub which is only super essential if your working with crazy low sub basses like hip-hop or Jungle which I do and love but still got by with the 8s.

The other thing is and heres why the maudios would be DDtits if they can even get close to the clarity of the Yamahas with the added frequency range and 3 way: You need to have a noise generator and some measurement devices and a decent idea of sound science and how the shape of your room affects the way your sound travels based on speaker placement and controls to be able to properly use the large subs that they sell to go with studio monitors. Also I can't tell you how many times I was tired and working late mixing my own **** later and forgot that I had kicked down the bass level due to bitching from people or ear fatigue or whatever reason and completely hosed a track or wasted a lotta time having to go back and try to refind a starting point where I hadn't completely screwed up with the whole low range. Something to think about I don't know how strong your background in nuts and bolts audio science and math is so think about that as well. Its nice to not have to f**k with **** even if you're strong in that field sometimes anyways.

Hope that was helpful, my opinion whatever you do get at least 8's if they are your main monitors, trust me
Old 29th January 2016
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Audio Masters View Post
I'm in need of some feedback guys..

M-Audio M3-8

Yamaha HS8

Would love some new monitors at my home setup for mixing/critical listening with potential for a sub later ..

My budget is basically around this area and I'm kinda torn between the two, although I haven't had the opportunity to listen to either one I'm hoping maybe some of you might have and are willing to share some insight.. I'm upgrading from maudio bx5a and these just don't translate very well ..

Cheers!!!
I'm on a similar boat like you!
What did you end up buying?
I'm quite tempted by the M3-8 3-way system, but I'm not sure they are detailed enough for serious mixing/mastering on them..

Did you compared them with the HS8 or the HS7+HS8S sub?
Old 6th February 2016
Lives for gear

Hey slutz!

No one has done a direct comparison between the HS8 and the M3-8?!
Old 24th February 2016
Here for the gear

I have mixed on both HS8s and m3-8s and bought myself a pair of the m3-8s. They are truly great monitors. At my studio (Master Recording Studio in Irvine, CA) I mix on Tannoy Super Golds, Genelecs, and Barefoot mm27s. Yes, I'm spoiled. However, for my personal mixing room, I chose the m3-8s because they are inexpensive and versatile. Having 3-way monitors is, in my opinion, a great way to go. It gives you flexibility and tunability to the room. You can run them flat, or EQ them to the space with the lo-mid-hi eq adjustments on the back. I have been running them flat and have come up with some great mixes. There's really no intense need for a sub with the 8" cones. You only lose frequencies below ~40, which could be a problem if you're doing hip-hop or something, but for my jazz, folk, and rock recordings it hasn't been an issue. As with the HS8/80s you could add a sub if you really needed it. The look is fantastic and the sound, for the price, is unbeatable. I highly recommend them!
Old 2nd July 2016
envamt
I have the M3-6 monitors and could not be happier. Slow to catch on but everybody who try's them seems to keep them. Two way full range near fields should really start to move aside and let a new generation of accurate and affordable three ways take over. These are truly something very special.
Topic:

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search