The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
Want to make beats like MF DOOM with a low budget Drum Machines & Samplers
Old 7th August 2014
Here for the gear

Want to make beats like MF DOOM with a low budget

I've recently sold my drumpad and synthesizer and im getting about 171$ soon and i want to get an mpc to make beats. also i was wondering if an mpc was capable of producing stuff besides rap (experimental, pretty much a lot of stuff panda bear and animal collective have done with their music)
Old 7th August 2014
Lives for gear

About $171? That sounds pretty specific to me :D

As for the MPC, of course it's capable - it's just a sequencer and a sampler. You can do whatever you want with it.
Old 8th August 2014
Lives for gear

Like the above reply says, the MPC is capable of doing whatever you want to do with a sequencer/sampler. I've used one for years for everything from quickly composing drum patterns for tracking (instead of a click), as a "drum machine" for rock and folk demos, for more hip-hop style projects, and for weird-ass experimental stuff.

All that said, it should be noted that the MPCs' strength are that they are killer, intuitive sequencers/MIDI tools with a capable sampler built in. As a sampler alone, there are other choices out there, hardware and software, that allow for a great deal more sound manipulation. My MPC2000xl is a studio workhorse for me and usually the first thing I reach for when sampling for rhythmic purposes (e.g., drum breaks)...but whenI really want to mangle something, I use my EMU e6400 ultra, which is much more synth-like when it comes to filter options and modulation. Also, unlike an MPC, it is designed to easily place samples on a keyboard, rather than across 64 drum pads.
Topic:

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search