The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
Will Screaming Damage My Mic? Condenser Microphones
Old 6th August 2014
Gear Addict

Talking Will Screaming Damage My Mic?

Hello :-D

I am currently using the Se2200A II Cordoid Condenser Microphone and just wanted to double check and make sure that if I scream really loud into it it won't get damaged. I don't want to turn the pad filter on because when I am not screaming my voice isn't loud enough (The GAIN is up on my interface too).

My mic: Maximum SPL for THD 0.5%2): 130dB (cardioid)

(I don't mean screaming talking I mean like screaming! lol.)

Thanks
Old 6th August 2014

Best solution is to probably record your "normal level voice" without the pad, and then record the screaming with the pad if there's a huge difference in level.

If the gain on your interface is set so you're not going into the red, can you hear distortion?

If so, you're overloading the mic. Maybe step back from the mic if you don't want to use the pad.

PS 130 db is LOUD!
Old 6th August 2014
Gear Addict

Talking

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blast9 View Post
Best solution is to probably record your "normal level voice" without the pad, and then record the screaming with the pad if there's a huge difference in level.

If the gain on your interface is set so you're not going into the red, can you hear distortion?

If so, you're overloading the mic. Maybe step back from the mic if you don't want to use the pad.

Thanks for the reply.

No, it's not distorting at all. I have it like %60 up I could probably turn it up more.

I will try turning it up even more with the pad. If it still sounds too low for me I think I am going to go without the pad. Do you think that that will damage my microphone?
Old 6th August 2014
Lives for gear

Your voice isn't loud enough to...what?

The 130 db figure isn't a hard limit per se.It tells you how much the mic will distort at that SPL. 0.5% is actually a fair amount of distortion. I've seen 0.1% as the limit for "acceptible" distortion fir many years, but acceptible in this case is defined by you.

I doubt you will damage the mic. 140 db is generally the SPL threshold for permanent hearing damage, and 130 db is but 3 barely audible notches below that.

I suspect you are risking your long term vocal health attempting to compensate for other issues, but the answer to ny first question will clarify much.
Old 6th August 2014
Lives for gear

You'll never break that mic with the sole sound of your voice, no.
Old 6th August 2014
Gear Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by JayTee4303 View Post
Your voice isn't loud enough to...what?

The 130 db figure isn't a hard limit per se.It tells you how much the mic will distort at that SPL. 0.5% is actually a fair amount of distortion. I've seen 0.1% as the limit for "acceptible" distortion fir many years, but acceptible in this case is defined by you.

I doubt you will damage the mic. 140 db is generally the SPL threshold for permanent hearing damage, and 130 db is but 3 barely audible notches below that.

I suspect you are risking your long term vocal health attempting to compensate for other issues, but the answer to ny first question will clarify much.

So true, thanks bro!

Stupid question but just double checking
Old 6th August 2014
Gear Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by spambot_2 View Post
You'll never break that mic with the sole sound of your voice, no.

Thanks for the reply.
Old 6th August 2014

If it sounds too quiet, turn up the headphone or monitor level.

Set the gain without the pad, so that level showing on your DAW input meter is around (on average) say -12db, i.e. nowhere near 0db (i.e. the maximum input level).

This will mean the levels going into the mic and mic pre are "nominal" (more or less ideal). You won't overload the mic this way (or damage it)

If your screaming is too loud, use the pad, but I can't imagine you'll be as loud as a drum kit or loud amp.
Old 6th August 2014
Gear Addict

Does ANYONE know how this YouTuber got his voice SO LOUD! (Warning loud)

ArcheAge - First Look - YouTube
Old 6th August 2014

Doesn't sound crazily loud to me.

Compression and limiting are the usual tools to get stuff loud without clipping.
Old 6th August 2014
Gear Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blast9 View Post
Doesn't sound crazily loud to me.

Compression and limiting are the usual tools to get stuff loud without clipping.
Yeah definitely ^ But for some reason I found this extremely loud and well mastered! May just be me though, hah.
Old 6th August 2014
I'm pretty sure someone like Brian Blessed would destroy your mic, but unless you an utter freak like him then you should be fine. GORDONS ALIVE!
Topic:

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search