The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
Very simple routing questions! Mixers (Analog)
Old 31st July 2014
Gear Nut

Very simple routing questions!

Here's how it goes, I have an Apogee Duet Firewire audio interface. I'm told it has one input, but the only thing I see on it is the headphone / speaker plug that goes to a pair of active monitors, a scart type looking pin plug on the back, and a firewire connection.

This works fine ITB but now I want to get some synths and effects and am totally confused about how I'm going to route it. I don't really want to buy other gear before I know how I'm going to connect them. Say for example I'm getting a reverb and synth that I want to use with maximum functionality, sound quality and low latency in Logic on an iMac.

So what do I need to get? I have been advised maybe I need a mixer. Something like a Behringer RX1602.

Now, does this have to be connected to my Apogee? If so, does the Apogee really have an input for that? Is it the 16 pin scart looking thing on the back? Because I don't think that looks right. Isn't it meant to be something XLR Jack looking or am I thinking about it wrong?

Do I really need a mixer or just a different interface? Because it is very frustrating / doing my bloody head in.

Do I need Amp too if monitors are active?

And A/D converters? Something to get midi out of synths that don't have it?
Old 31st July 2014
The Apogee Duet actually has (4) inputs and (2) channels, so any (2) of the inputs can be used at the same time.

The inputs are provided by an input "snake" cable that connects to the little 15pin "I/O" connector. It will have the various conventional (XLR and TRS) audio connector required to connect microphone, oe electronic instruments as well as the 1/4-inch TRS connectors that can be used to connect a pair of monitor speakers.

Apogee still sells the correct breakout cable for the Duet-1. You need one of these.
Old 31st July 2014
Gear Nut

You need a breakout box to do that? Because I only see that one 15 pin type i/o on the back. Or maybe that's for the Apogee Duet 2?

If that's the case, then maybe I should just sell it and get an interface with more i/o. And then will I need a mixer?

Thanks.
Old 31st July 2014
This is the correct cable (it's not a "box") for a Duet-1, not the "black" Duet-2 version. They cost $35 brand new.

If you need more than a "2X2 interface, sell the Duet and get an interface with more channels, there are many to choose from at a wide range of price points.

You can always add a MIDI interface to connect a MIDI controller for virtual instruments, or you can record a synth's analog output through the Duet-1 "line-level" inputs, but only (2) tracks at any given time.
Attached Thumbnails
Very simple routing questions!-duet-1-breakout-cable.jpg  
Old 31st July 2014
Gear Nut

Thanks! so I won't need a mixer for say, a synth and a reverb?
Old 31st July 2014
Quote:
Originally Posted by BlauPunk View Post
You need a breakout box to do that? Because I only see that one 15 pin type i/o on the back. Or maybe that's for the Apogee Duet 2?

If that's the case, then maybe I should just sell it and get an interface with more i/o. And then will I need a mixer?

Thanks.
Using a mixer or not depends on how you plan on working. You can combine several sound sources in a mixer and connect that ahead of the Duet and record the 2-track mix, or you can get a interface with more inputs and record all sound sources at the same time to separate tracks and then mix them in your DAW. The second way is obviously the more flexible, but is also somewhat more costly.

If you have enough I/O channels to cover all of your possible input sources, no mixer is needed. If not, a mixer can be useful.

If you do live recording, a mixer might be used to set up a multi-mic'd drum set to reduce the set from (6) or (7) channels to (2). It can also be handy for connecting several synth's at the same time. Even if you're not playing them together, it can save having to go back and forth switching input cables and connections.
Old 31st July 2014
Quote:
Originally Posted by BlauPunk View Post
Thanks! so I won't need a mixer for say, a synth and a reverb?

If you are planning on simply applying some reverb to the synth in real time as you play and recording the result, you can do that with only one or two channels of the Duet (or anything else). The synth line out feeds the reverb and the reverb feeds (1) or (2) (if it's a stereo reverb) line inputs of the Duet-1.

If you want to have complete post-recording control of the reverb, it's more complicated as you would have to route your DAW synth channel output to one of the line outs of the Duet, connect that output to the reverb input, connect the reverb output to the other Duet Line input, play your original track, and re-record the new track with the reverb added.
Old 1st August 2014
Gear Nut

Exactly what I wanted to hear. I'm good to go with just that cable for now. Appreciate your help!

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search