The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
Removing background sound issues Noise Reduction & Restoration Plugins
Old 28th July 2014
Removing background sound issues

Recently I've been running into an issue that's really irritating when I playback my recordings. During the recording I seem to get this background hissing sound that's inevitable no matter how I have my gain settings on my interface. I've tried having the gain set up to where it levels out with the instrumental and I've also tried having a really low gain and normalizing the tracks and I still get the same results. I use Cockos Reaper, and it's got a default plugin that cuts the background sound but it also destroys my recordings.
I also tried using Audacity and it's "noise removal" tool and still the same problem. It basically sounds like I got in a rocket flew to another planet, put on a water suit, went underwater, got on my cell phone, called someone, and the receiver get's a bad reception. Is there a way to fix this without destroying my vocals or having the annoying background sound in my tracks?
Old 28th July 2014
Gear Nut

Hissing

This could be a whole host of issues. What is your recording chain?

I had similar problems that caused this in the past: the mic picking up the computer hard drive... running a large diaphragm condenser too hot.. bad cable, someone's window air-conditioner outside.. room treatment/reflection. etc.

What level would you say that the vocals are being recorded at? Have you tried switching mics or cables.. or preamps.. ?
Old 28th July 2014
I have my mic connected to my audio interface which is connected to my computer with a USB, no compressor or preamp. I record my tracks in my big walk in closet if that helps any.

And yes I've tried using a different cable but it didn't work. Haven't tried my other mic cause the mic I currently use is a $300 mic where the other one is a $150 mic so the one I currently use has a much better quality sound so I'm in no way gonna even consider changing mics. I only got 1 audio interface.
Old 28th July 2014
Gear Nut

What kind of mic and interface is it?
Old 28th July 2014
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by T. The Manager View Post
I have my mic connected to my audio interface which is connected to my computer with a USB, no compressor or preamp. I record my tracks in my big walk in closet if that helps any.

And yes I've tried using a different cable but it didn't work. Haven't tried my other mic cause the mic I currently use is a $300 mic where the other one is a $150 mic so the one I currently use has a much better quality sound so I'm in no way gonna even consider changing mics. I only got 1 audio interface.
What do you mean with "no preamp"..?

Do you use the preamp of your usb-interface? Or really none? Tell us about your setup, what interface and what mic you're using? What about 48v phantom? If you really use no preamp at all, it could simply be the noisefloor of your mic/usb-interface if you're boosting the signal later in reaper that much.
Old 28th July 2014
It's an MXL 3000 microphone and a M Audio M Track 2 Channel audio interface.

For the longest time I was using a ps2 USB mic for my recordings until I upgraded and had the same problem but the hissing noise was quieter so it didn't destroy the audio, I just don't wanna go back to using it for quality purposes.
Old 28th July 2014
Quote:
Originally Posted by Miles Flint View Post
What do you mean with "no preamp"..?

Do you use the preamp of your usb-interface? Or really none? Tell us about your setup, what interface and what mic you're using? What about 48v phantom? If you really use no preamp at all, it could simply be the noisefloor of your mic/usb-interface if you're boosting the signal later in reaper that much.
Sorry for the confusion.

I meant to say that I don't have a preamp connected to my interface and mic other than the built in preamp in my interface which is a M Audio 2 Channel interface. So yes I do use a preamp but it's a built in one to use my condenser mic.
Old 28th July 2014
Lives for gear

...and you engaged the 48v? sorry to ask
does the noise appear on both channels of the maudio?

maybe you could post a clip of the noise with/without your vocal.
Old 28th July 2014
yeah I have the 48v on when I'm using the interface.
I haven't tried both channels, I've only tried the left one.

I could very well post a clip of the audio but how would I do this without uploading it to youtube or something?
Old 28th July 2014
Lives for gear

check the R channel. just to be sure it's no the maudio.

if you can't attach a file, type a link to soundcloud, dropbox or similar...
Old 28th July 2014
Here's the sound I'm getting. But I'll try recording on the right side.

untitled.mp3
Old 28th July 2014
Lives for gear

hm, hard to say/guess with no relation to the vocal... but it sounds like inherent noise from gear if you extremely push the gains. either way, you should not have such a noise from your equipment.
Old 28th July 2014
My gain knob is at around a 90 deg angle on the left so the gains actually really low. The microphone seems to pick up noises really easily so I have to have the gain lower. But if I don't solve this problem then idk what I'm gonna do. I can't release a song with it taken out cause it completely destroys the quality and I can't keep it in there cause it also destroys the track. It's a loss loss situation at this point. I just hope I can find a solution to this soon.
Old 28th July 2014
Lives for gear

You'll have to start with every piece of gear to find the problem. You can also try turning off all lights and devices to see if that is causing some noise. Then you should try different outlets and maybe buy a new power strip to see if that helps. Could be a grounding issue or some kind of interference with your computer

I would also restart your computer and turn off every program that is not needed as that might be interfering as well.

You can also purchase something like this to remove noise.

Automatic Noise Suppression Plugin – NS1 | Waves
Old 28th July 2014
Lives for gear

Could also be the refrigerator, ac vent, or similar in combination with high noise preamp and microphone. Need to gain stage carefully if there is a lot of noise.
Old 28th July 2014
It's not picking up sound period on the right side. If the right side doesn't work idk what the point of it is then. This is really starting to irritate me.

edit: I tried recording again today but I don't hear the sound but the recording is also very weak and quiet. I got a powerful voice it's just the volume is very low and I have the settings where I usually have them.

edit #2: Nvm I fixed the low volume I forgot I had the monitor mix knob all the way down lol
Old 28th July 2014
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by johnwayne View Post
Could also be the refrigerator, ac vent, or similar in combination with high noise preamp and microphone. Need to gain stage carefully if there is a lot of noise.
all good points, you need to find the issue step by step...

if you say the recording sounds "weak" it could also be a wiring/connector issue on either the mic, the cables, the interface.
Old 28th July 2014
Quote:
Originally Posted by Miles Flint View Post
all good points, you need to find the issue step by step...

if you say the recording sounds "weak" it could also be a wiring/connector issue on either the mic, the cables, the interface.
I fixed the low volume. I was messing with all the knobs trying to find a problem and didn't realize I had the monitor mix all the way down so that problem is solved. But I still haven't found a problem with the hissing. I've closed all applications on my computer but Reaper, I have no electronics running near me, no phone, no tv, no gaming console, only my audio interface and I'm still getting that sound. I'm half tempted to say **** it, sell all my equipment and resume back to using my ps2 mic even tho it's terrible quality because, well, I didn't get that hissing sound like I get it with equipment. I'm sorry, I'm beyond pissed off atm cause I can't use something I payed money for. It seems I gotta keep spending money like it grows on trees to even record with a decent to good sound when I shouldn't. I thought having a mic with an interface would work but apparently I was wrong.
Old 29th July 2014
Could it be my headphones? The headphones I use are xbox turtle beaches since I only have them and ear buds. I'm planning on buying studio headphones in the future. The headphones are connected with a jack adapter through my interface and USB powered.
Old 29th July 2014
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by T. The Manager View Post
Could it be my headphones? The headphones I use are xbox turtle beaches since I only have them and ear buds. I'm planning on buying studio headphones in the future. The headphones are connected with a jack adapter through my interface and USB powered.
I don't think so, but this is an easy thing to check... just record some takes with no headphones connected and you will know.
Old 29th July 2014
Gear Nut

I used to also get weird noises when my interface was under my computer, or near it... etc. Is it a new interface? old? used? I'd try to borrow someone's interface if trying a different mic doesn't work
Old 29th July 2014
Quote:
Originally Posted by AudioJunky View Post
I used to also get weird noises when my interface was under my computer, or near it... etc. Is it a new interface? old? used? I'd try to borrow someone's interface if trying a different mic doesn't work
My interface is actually really close to my computer since the usb cable is only 6 ft long, but I do have an adapter cable that's like 6 ft long that makes a usb connection longer so I'll try that.

And I'm 100% positive that nobody will let me borrow their $2000 interface.
Old 29th July 2014
Lives for gear

Are you setting the m audio to mono input? It could also be some kind of driver issue so you might want to re download the drivers.

Lastly you might want to try a different recording program.

You could always try studio one free.

https://shop.presonus.com/products/s...tudio-One-Free
Old 29th July 2014
Yes I always have it set to mono. I checked all the drives and their all up to date.

It may just be Reaper, is studio one good?
Old 29th July 2014
Lives for gear

I use Studio One for everything I do. I do have the Pro version though but the Free version will give you an idea if you would like to upgrade at some point. I like it much better than Pro Tools after using it for 8 years.
Old 29th July 2014
Lives for gear

Do you have the same noise when you record a source via the line-ins on the maudio?
Old 29th July 2014
I'm less inclined to believe it's a grid interference as it's my understanding that usb-powered interfaces are fed better-regulated power due to it being usb - even more so if on a laptop not wired to the wall.

It could be two things, or something entirely different.

It could be your USB cable. I bought a used 2i2 as a gift and had one channel ok, and the other sounding half like poo and not having the gain it should have (regardless of it being recognized by windows, etc). Got a new cable and it fixed the problem. They can still technically work even if defective. If you're unsure about dropping some more money, just buy from a local place with a good return policy.

It might be windows is adding a bunch of wacky settings to your m-audio sound card (the interface) under sound settings, which could include a +20db microphone boost, although this typically is just for the computer's onboard mic / sound card.

Could be that, since I presume it's not a standalone unit (ie: has to be connected to a computer to work), the drivers might have installed funny and may need reinstallation or a different version of the drive

90 degrees for a condenser mic seems a little excessive, actually (edit: just noticed 90 degrees on the left, so this may be a moot point). Could be that your computer mic volume control isn't at 100% (ignoring your daw, under window's sound mixer) , and you're cranking the interface's gain to compensate, adding self-noise?

The first thing I'd try if not done already is try it with a different mic, and a different computer respectively.

Also, surprised this hasn't been asked, but is the noise present without a mic plugged in? Is the noise present with no mic plugged in / phantom power on/off?

Really the goal here is to rule out windows, daw, and then to see if the unit is defective / partially defective. Being it's a 100$ m-audio interface, it is within the realm of possibility.
Old 30th July 2014
I tested to see what the leveling bar (whatever you call it) does when the interface is plugged in and when the interface is not plugged in while arming a record and it got the same results. Here's a picture of it to give you guy's a better idea.

To my understand the bar shouldn't be green on standalone period until I say something so something is interfering.

@jigg, I tried both microphones and they both seem to be having the same issue. It's not the interface or the microphone cause it does it when I arm record with nothing plugged in, not even my interface. My interface also always has the phantom power switch turned on at all times since both my mics are condenser mics and both require phantom power. Interface's switch is also set to mono if that helps any.

My computer volume for the microphone is also at 100%. When I first installed the driver and tried to record it was extremely quiet until I went to my sound settings in my control panel and turned the volume up. When I armed the recording I also muted my computers sound to see if it was interfering with anything and nothing.
Old 30th July 2014
Lives for gear

is there an onboard audiocard on your computer? looks like another "open" input is routed to the DAW inputs simultaniously... or similar. so if you have the noise either with the maudio plugged in or not, it's not the mic, not the maudio and probably not reaper. check the windows sound tab/preferencies.
Old 30th July 2014
The mp3 sounds like typical background noise from having the gain turned up,not like computer or interference noise at all...strange,as you said the gain is set quite low?
Topic:

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search