The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
Panning Pads/Strings Virtual Instrument Plugins
Old 26th July 2014
Gear Nut

Panning Pads/Strings

I realize everything depends, but I've come across a number of posts where people say that pads might typically be stereo panned hard left and right. Maybe applying a short delay to one side depending on the type of sound you're after.

My question is, if I have a pad sound recorded in stereo so that the left & right channels contain different information, would I duplicate the track - then pan one hard left and one hard right? Or should the pan be tracked mono and then duplicated and panned hard left hard right.. ?

I'd imagine panning is one of the easier parts of a mix for a lot of people but for me it's a bit vague not only because I'm somewhat new to mixing but because I write mainly electronic music where there seem to be little to no guidelines to follow.

I appreciate any feedback/tips.
Old 26th July 2014
Lives for gear

I think you are referring to people wanting pads to be "extra" wide, even if they are stereo to begin with... In order to do that, there are lots of plugs ins, but an easy trick to apply is called the hauss effect, where you put, say a simple stereo delay on the track, and make the 2 different sides, left and right, have perhaps a 1ms or 2ms (more if you want wider) difference, and you will hear the track widen in your mix.... of course you lose a little of the middle in the process, but can make a track "pop"....
Old 27th July 2014
Lives for gear
try each way and see if it sounds different....youve only got so much soundspace ti work with..youre always dealing with a tradeoff between amplitude and frequency
Old 29th July 2014
Gear Nut

Appreciate the feedback! Guess I'm still a bit confused though - I was reading here that the Haas effect only works with a mono sound source: Turn a mono track into rich stereo | BenVesco.com
Old 29th July 2014
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by ARNK View Post
Appreciate the feedback! Guess I'm still a bit confused though - I was reading here that the Haas effect only works with a mono sound source: Turn a mono track into rich stereo | BenVesco.com
I use the Haas effect ALL the time on stereo sources, it just makes it "more" stereo......... if your ear is getting sounds at slightly different times, or brain interprets it as depth or distance apart....
Old 29th July 2014
Lives for gear

I just read the article in the link you provided. It's wrong. It does work on stereo sources. I also don't know if I would go 40 milliseconds as it recommends as that seems a little extreme. I usually do 1/2 ms apart and that gives me suitable width, and if I want to get really extreme I will go to 4/8 ms apart in my simple delay in ableton, usually sticking to doubled integers..... you COULD go 40ms, I think it would get a little washier then you need as asked in your OP.... but who knows, I could be wrong, I will try it later.. I do it with a delay, as it moves both sides, if you go to extreme with one it could make the sound or track appear to heavily balanced to one side..... and also note that with delay like this you also could be losing a little apparent volume of the track, so listen for that and adjust if you need to... but it's a quick and simple cheap effect I use every single day!

some plugins, like BX_Stereomaker (?), perform the same task, but with m/s in addition, maintaing the lower frequencies in the middle, while moving just the high end content to the sides... This can be very helpful as well... as you don't necessarily want to spread your bass out to the sides all the time...

and if it's important to you that you maintain mono capability, check that out on your 2 bus just to make sure you haven't created any weird phasing issues etc...

but again, a lot of people use it to create pseudo stereo out of a mono source, but definitely will widen a stereo source as well.....
Old 30th July 2014
Gear Nut

Thanks for the heads up, it bothers me to think about what else might be wrong on that site.
Old 30th July 2014
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by ARNK View Post
Thanks for the heads up, it bothers me to think about what else might be wrong on that site.
I hear you, glossed over the blog after you mentioned it, and it at times seems to be a bit misguided, especially the article on latency. Come to gearslutz for the better crowd sourced info apparently......
Old 30th July 2014
Gear Nut
if the pad is already stereo, duplicating and panning hard won't do much if anything for you. I'm gonna go with the short delay idea or a stereo widening plugin
Old 30th July 2014
Lives for gear

Try a different approach all together. Keep one or two sounds stereo. Make all the others mono and hard pan them left and right. Much bigger stereo field this way.
If you are talking one pad only then copy and paste to a different track and hard pan left and right. Process the two tracks differently with EQ, delay etc.
Old 30th July 2014
Here for the gear

Is it possible to create a string synth patch that sounds better than a sample.
Old 30th July 2014
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fortune5500 View Post
Is it possible to create a string synth patch that sounds better than a sample.
"better" is subjective, more suitable for perhaps a particular application? sure, there is a lot of new found love for the old string machines from the 70's, that while don't sound or wouldn't fool anyone as being real strings, work really well in certain tracks, giving the pastiche of strings without being anywhere near a real orchestra…. it really depends on what you are trying to do and accomplish in a particular piece of music...
Old 31st July 2014
Here for the gear

Its all about experimenting with your sounds until you're satisfied. Panning them hard left and hard right is almost the same thing but at the same time you can also have different effects on each side. So once again, experiment with what you got and see what works the best.
Topic:

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search