The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
Krk Rokit Popping noise when powered up Studio Monitors
Old 25th July 2014
Here for the gear

Krk Rokit Popping noise when powered up

Hey guys i have a problem with my krk rokit 5 gp2.Only one monitor makes a pop noise when turned on,i have tried everything ,swapped cables,tried other power outlets but the problem persists.I turn the monitors on last ofc so thats not the problem either.there are no problems while they are on ,but whenever i turn them on the left one makes that noise as if a kick is playing. any thoughts on what might be the issue?
Old 25th July 2014
I'd suspect the rectifier diodes or filter caps.. But if it's not a loud enough pop to damage the speakers and doesn't affect the sound when you're using them, I probably wouldn't worry about it. FWIW, I've had my KRK RP 6s powered up for about 2 years now.. I just leave 'em on all the time.
Old 25th July 2014
Here for the gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scooter Trash View Post
I'd suspect the rectifier diodes or filter caps.. But if it's not a loud enough pop to damage the speakers and doesn't affect the sound when you're using them, I probably wouldn't worry about it. FWIW, I've had my KRK RP 6s powered up for about 2 years now.. I just leave 'em on all the time.
thanks for the reply! It's not a deafening pop for sure but u can definitely hear it and see the tweeter move, btw i haven't really used them a lot maybe 15 times.
Old 25th July 2014
Quote:
Originally Posted by leykan View Post
thanks for the reply! It's not a deafening pop for sure but u can definitely hear it and see the tweeter move, btw i haven't really used them a lot maybe 15 times.
If they're still under warranty, exchange them.
Old 25th July 2014
Here for the gear

Quote:
If they're still under warranty, exchange them.
No they arent actually,i just havent used them a lot...
Old 26th July 2014
Lives for gear

Maybe I'm missing something...but generally powered monitors do this.

I mean maybe it's like a crazy insane blast that could blow your speaker and then yes I would be concerned.

Have you tried powering them on with no cable plugged in at all?
Old 26th July 2014
Lives for gear

And like scooter said...just leave them on. I never power off my gear unless I'm going out of town.
Old 26th July 2014
Here for the gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Korbin View Post
Maybe I'm missing something...but generally powered monitors do this.

I mean maybe it's like a crazy insane blast that could blow your speaker and then yes I would be concerned.

Have you tried powering them on with no cable plugged in at all?

The thing is only one of them does it,and yeah i have tried but even if its disconnected from the sound card it makes a noise.
Old 26th July 2014
Lives for gear

Well I agree it's kinda weird that it's only happening in one.

Also a little weird that it's all the time.

I'm usually hot or miss with mine.

Well like I said though (scooter as well) if it isn't like a huge massive gonna break the speaker thing I wouldn't worry.

This would be my next step though if you haven't yet.

I assume the krks use regular universal power cables right?

Take the cable from the one not popping and plug it into the one that is and do the same the other way..see if they swap rolls as to which is popping and which isn't...I would do this without being connected to anything...to make sure you are testing only the power cables.

Who knows maybe there is an issue with the cable...if so it may be as simple as replacing the universal power cord.
Old 26th July 2014
Here for the gear

Well as i mentioned earlier its not deafening noise but its pretty loud,and the other doesnt do it so thats why im worried.and yes i have tried swapping the cables,that didnt work either..thanks for helping btw ,appreciate it
Old 26th July 2014
just another thought.. the switch contacts could be arcing on the power switch.. try leaving the power switch turned on and plug the speakers in at the outlet instead. If that helps, it may be the power switch contacts arcing. Maybe Lotus or someone will have a schematic.. there may be a relay in there too.. If so, sometimes there's a cap and diode to ground any arcing caused by the contacts... kinda hard to say, but if you take just the one speaker to just about any electronics bench tech, they should be able to quickly diagnose it for ya. If it's something like a switch, relay, or diode, the parts shouldn't be expensive, and I think the Rokit circuit boards should be easy to work on.
Old 26th July 2014
Lives for gear

Oh that's a really good thought...Could totally be the switch.
Old 26th July 2014
Here for the gear

Quote:
just another thought.. the switch contacts could be arcing on the power switch.. try leaving the power switch turned on and plug the speakers in at the outlet instead. If that helps, it may be the power switch contacts arcing. Maybe Lotus or someone will have a schematic.. there may be a relay in there too.. If so, sometimes there's a cap and diode to ground any arcing caused by the contacts... kinda hard to say, but if you take just the one speaker to just about any electronics bench tech, they should be able to quickly diagnose it for ya. If it's something like a switch, relay, or diode, the parts shouldn't be expensive, and I think the Rokit circuit boards should be easy to work on.
Nope that didnt work either..Really weird..i guess ill have to take it to somebody to check it out.What really annoys me is that they are basically new monitors and this happens.
Old 26th July 2014
Lives for gear

You are against leaving them on?
Old 26th July 2014
Here for the gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Korbin View Post
You are against leaving them on?
yeah i guess i am for a number of reasons, one being that i use them like 5-6 hours a day, its not like im producing 24/7.tbh i just dont feel comfortable leaving them on..Ill just take this one to a store hopefully they will get to the bottom of this.Appreciate the help guys!
Old 27th July 2014
Gear Maniac

Here's another possibility:

Both units might have speaker shut-off relays which keep them unconnected a few seconds after power on.

But the delay-on in one may have failed, or the relay may have jammed open,
or a cap may have gone in the controlling circuit.

You should be able to get a schematic of the unit, and find the speaker-protection circuitry on that. Looking at that might give you an idea
where to start hunting down the problem.

But it does sound to me like the speaker-protect is not doing what
it normally should do, and is still doing in the other speaker.

You might be able to get a tech on the phone from them to discuss this,
or post in a forum that is on their product site.
Top Mentioned Products
Topic:

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search