The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
Decision to take: Behringer Eurodesk MX8000 or Mackie 24/8? Studio Headphones
Old 24th July 2014
Quote:
Originally Posted by Korbin View Post
I think it's getting insanely far from the ops actual question which was...

I want to buy a mixer...between these two which do you think I should buy.

How this became about set up is beyond me.
hehehe... true dat!
But still, interesting to read all the comments... I'm re-thinking about my setup indeed! :-)
What I for sure understood is that I shall prefer Mackie over Behringer and that I should avoid Mackies which had or might have the above mentioned ribbon cable issues.

Thanks everybody for your thoughts, really appreciate it!

F.
Old 24th July 2014
Gear Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Korbin View Post
I think it's getting insanely far from the ops actual question which was...

I want to buy a mixer...between these two which do you think I should buy.

How this became about set up is beyond me.
It's because it became clear that the OP doesn't have a real reason why he wants a mixer other than that he saw one when he visited his friend's studio Back In the Day.

The original question is moot, because any distinction between a 24 x 8 console and a 24 x 4 console is just flying completely over the OP's head. As are most of the 'setup' suggestions, in point of fact. I would revise my suggestion to the OP down to this: do not buy a console until you truly understand how, when, and why you would be actually needing one in your work process.
Old 24th July 2014
Quote:
Originally Posted by joeq View Post
I would revise my suggestion to the OP down to this: do not buy a console until you truly understand how, when, and why you would be actually needing one in your work process.
You're truly right, Joe... I will first need to find out my work process!

Nevertheless, thanks for the discussion/inputs... still quite interesting to me.

F.
Old 24th July 2014
Gear Maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by FlavioB View Post
Hi Korbin,
thanks for your reply.
In the meantime I got the chance to talk to one of my mates, who ran a recording studio until a couple of years ago: he told me to never ever mention "Behringer" again in his presence!
I'll look for a Mackie then... it doesn't need to be "highest end" (it's still "home" recording), but at the same price I'd rather choose the Mackie one.

Thanks and regards,
F.
They make some good products and some bad products. There are plenty of berry products that people here love, and even more they love to bash.

You're friend is an uneducated elitist on this topic. I guess he's never touched an x32 or their EPxxxx line of amplifiers. In this case however I've never been much of a fan of their mixing consoles. They're OK but it doesn't go much further than that.

Perhaps I'm not just not at the level where I can have brand loyalty.
Old 24th July 2014
Gear Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by FlavioB View Post
You're truly right, Joe... I will first need to find out my work process!

Nevertheless, thanks for the discussion/inputs... still quite interesting to me.

F.
yes, definitely keep these suggestions in mind as you work with your existing system. My gear-purchasing history has pretty much gone like this for almost everything:

1. never heard of it
2. heard of it, never saw one
3. saw one, thought about it
4. started imagining how I might use one myself, researched it
5. started 'missing' having one every day
6. bought it

the beauty of it is, that by the time I am at Stage 6, I already know what brands and models I am looking for, and I am ready to start using the item right away,

So there is much less Buyer's Remorse.
Old 24th July 2014
Lot's of good advice on this thread.

There is certainly nothing wrong with carefully planning ahead and picking the ideal gear for your application, if you clearly know exactly what you want to do. However, sometimes just having access to a nice flexible device like a large contemporary mixer will open up possibilities that you never thought of. It's easy to "overthink" a purchase.

Buy the 24-channel Mackie, you will find uses for it you never envisioned. You can use it to feed a 2-channel entry-level interface (but get one with an ADAT port), add on a 8-channel ADAT front end, or trade up to even more tracks if you ever feel you need them. You will love having so many knobs to play with and it will impress your visitors. It may even help you get dates: "Wanna stop by my place so I can show you my mixer?" A great pick-up line you don't hear very often.

This is Gearslutz, and once you start it's a slippery slope. Remember, to maintain your Gearslutz "AA" slut-rating, you need to have a mic, guitar, bass, synth or drum machine for each of the (24) channel strips on your mixer within a 18 month window of its purchase. Buying a (24) track desk is a real social responsibility. Don't let us down.
Old 25th July 2014
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lotus 7 View Post
Lot's of good advice on this thread.

There is certainly nothing wrong with carefully planning ahead and picking the ideal gear for your application, if you clearly know exactly what you want to do. However, sometimes just having access to a nice flexible device like a large contemporary mixer will open up possibilities that you never thought of. It's easy to "overthink" a purchase.

Buy the 24-channel Mackie, you will find uses for it you never envisioned. You can use it to feed a 2-channel entry-level interface (but get one with an ADAT port), add on a 8-channel ADAT front end, or trade up to even more tracks if you ever feel you need them. You will love having so many knobs to play with and it will impress your visitors. It may even help you get dates: "Wanna stop by my place so I can show you my mixer?" A great pick-up line you don't hear very often.

This is Gearslutz, and once you start it's a slippery slope. Remember, to maintain your Gearslutz "AA" slut-rating, you need to have a mic, guitar, bass, synth or drum machine for each of the (24) channel strips on your mixer within a 18 month window of its purchase. Buying a (24) track desk is a real social responsibility. Don't let us down.

You're great!
Top Mentioned Products
Topic:

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search