The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
Why do SM7bs sound like ****? Condenser Microphones
Old 21st August 2014
Quote:
Originally Posted by slammy80 View Post
to the OP,

check this video -- this is how you should always use the SM7b
Well, "always" for that kind of singing It works for metal screams, too when you set everything up for this purpose but if you're singing rock, going up and down through strong and soft passages, you may consider backing off a bit when proximity effect is not required.

Mic technique works for this mic, too but I agree this mic should be positioned closer than a regular condenser.

I'd also use a pop filter unless it's me singing making sure I don't spit everytime I sing into it.
Old 23rd August 2014
Gear Head

To let everyone know, if you plug an ISA one into a 2i2 then it's not being bypassed because it doesn't have a dedicated output, It resulted in the ISA one sounding identical to the 2i2 when A/B separately, when plugged into the dedicated out of the 6i6 I could immediately tell the difference, it sounded clearer with zero hiss and latency, I no longer needed to enable the 30-60 switch and boost it another 20 db after that, with that being said the 2i2 and 6i6 are the same but the only difference is the 2i2 is only for powering studio monitors and microphones, 6i6 has midi in and out and 4 more in/outs then the 2i2.
Old 23rd August 2014
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wondering Pigeon View Post
when plugged into the dedicated out of the 6i6 I could immediately tell the difference
You don't plug preamp outs into other outs.
Well you may but you'll not hear anything as a result.

You may want to re-work your description.
Old 16th September 2014
Lives for gear

Hey Wondering Pigeon.
So what happened that you started liking sm7b all of a sudden ?????
Old 16th September 2014
The 6i6 has dedicated line inputs so he could bypass the pres by plugging into those. So the 6i6 is gonna sound different than the 2i2. Plus the 6i6 has a dedicated power supply rather than using current from the USB port which I'm guessing gives you more headroom.

Lesson is, don't plug your pres into an interface that doesn't allow you to bypass the built in preamps.
Old 16th September 2014
Quote:
Originally Posted by TS-12 View Post
Hey Wondering Pigeon.
So what happened that you started liking sm7b all of a sudden ?????
Post #77
Old 16th September 2014
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bender412 View Post
Post #77
Yes. He said he's using isa one and going into soundcard and in post #1 he was using isa one again into obviously a sound card...
Old 16th September 2014
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by auralart View Post
The 6i6 has dedicated line inputs so he could bypass the pres by plugging into those. So the 6i6 is gonna sound different than the 2i2. Plus the 6i6 has a dedicated power supply rather than using current from the USB port which I'm guessing gives you more headroom.

Lesson is, don't plug your pres into an interface that doesn't allow you to bypass the built in preamps.
So the poor guy was going from isa one out into focusrite preamps ????
Old 16th September 2014
Quote:
So the poor guy was going from isa one out into focusrite preamps ????
Yep. It happens.
Old 17th September 2014
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by auralart View Post
Yep. It happens.
Interesting idea. I must experiment someday by going preamp into preamp.. Hmm..
Old 17th September 2014
Lives for gear

Running one preamp into another is not a problem as long as you maintain good gain staging. I use external preamps > toft console > Modded UR824 (preamps are not bypassed) with no problems at all. In fact, you can blend gain from several different preamps along the way if you want. That being said, the UR824 preamps were designed to be neutral sounding at unity gain and have adequate headroom to handle higher input levels. An interface that is not designed for line level input or lacks enough headroom to handle the professional gear output levels will probably sound rolled off and muddy. (Especially at higher volumes)
Old 28th December 2014
Baz
Lives for gear

My thoughts on the SM7B based on a lot of complaints I've read about it. I've posted several times that in (my opinion) because the mic is already so highly coloured, using a cleaner, faster pre produces better results to my ears at least. Ive actually never had a problem with its low output but I guess Ive always used high quality mic amps with it *shrug*

Adding more "mojo" if need be via external h/w or s/w is dead easy after the fact so I don't concern myself with it going in

Note: the levels I refer to in this sample are actually lower than I make mention of, overall.

https://www.dropbox.com/s/hjx04ob7kk...0test.wav?dl=0
Old 28th December 2014
Gear Maniac

I love love love my SM7B's. I have 2. I love em on male/female vocals. And I feel like its the best for metal/hard rock screams.

I don't care for it on acoustic guitars though unless they're not really supposed to be a big focus in the song.
Old 27th January 2015
Lives for gear

it sucks no matter what you do, no matter what preamp or cloudlifter you use. only works if you have a guy screaming into it instead of singing. thats about it
Old 28th January 2015
Gear Maniac

Quote:
it sucks no matter what you do, no matter what preamp or cloudlifter you use. only works if you have a guy screaming into it instead of singing. thats about it
boo
Old 28th January 2015
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by mixedbyjoshua View Post
boo
troo doo doo
Old 28th January 2015
Gear Guru

Just beat it.
Old 28th January 2015
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sounds Great View Post

Just beat it.
that's the greatest mystery for me.. how in the world Bruce made MJ's vocal sound decent thru it.. probably it's jsut matched MJ's voice. but when listening to thriller it's kinda obvious a better mic could have been used
Old 28th January 2015
Deleted 6ccb844
Quote:
that's the greatest mystery for me.. how in the world Bruce made MJ's vocal sound decent thru it.. probably it's jsut matched MJ's voice. but when listening to thriller it's kinda obvious a better mic could have been used
It's called shed loads of compression and a lot of pre-amp lift through decent pre-amps.

Obviously I'd prefer to work with a nice condenser mic for most things, but as I track a lot of metal then it gets used a fair amount. Another "metal band" that uses the all mighty SM7b.. Need to pull out the article where the engineer mentions the amount of compression needed.

Old 28th January 2015
Lives for gear

Quote:
How many times have you heard a guitar player with a Stratocaster sounding thin and mundane? And how come some other players like Hendrix, SRV, Gilmour sounded amazing with the same axe?

Did you ever entertain the possibility that the musician makes the sound and not the mic or guitar?

Tons of great records have been made with SM7s, I guess MJ using it had something to do with the tracking performance where dancing, fingersnaps and jewelery clanging in rhythm might have simply not worked as well with a 'better' mic like a U47 or some other high-end condensor.
Old 29th January 2015
User error
Old 29th January 2015
Lives for gear

Quote:
Heres a quicky 6 song demo I recently did with sm7 on the lead vocals, no screaming. Sounds fine to me...
The Bus Songs | ReverbNation
Topic:

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search