The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
Overdubbing clean to distorted signal - Ditto X2 Looper
Old 26th March 2014
Here for the gear

Overdubbing clean to distorted signal - Ditto X2 Looper

Hi,

Newbie here, but with a question that has many a "seasoned" gearslut perplexed...

I am using a Ditto X2 Looper to record a clean signal loop. I want to record a distorted loop over the aforementioned clean loop. When I playback loop(s) (after I stored them in the looper of course) I want to be able to hear the two loops (clean and distorted), distinctively, through my amps speaker (which I'm using as output/speaker).

My very simple set-up: Guitar signal (cable) > Looper input (mono) > Looper output (mono) cable > Yamaha THR10X.

So, basically I can record, loop and playback in the existing setting (clean, power I, power II, Brown I, II, Southern Hi) I have on my amp at the time. But when I switch settings on my amp (e.g. from clean to Brown II, which is higher gain) my clean loop also comes out of my amp speaker sounding distorted, since my setting is now Brown II.

Would a distortion pedal before the Ditto X2 Looper help? So, if I engaged/disengaged the distortion pedal but left my amp in a clean setting, would I get the desired "stacked" looping I want (clean first loop, then distorted second loop)? Otherwise, the only solution would be to just record a clean setting loop, import in my DAW (Logic), then record another distorted loop (changing my amp setting) and import that distorted loop as a second track in my DAW.

Sorry, I hope I didn't lose anyone...

Thank you for any kind of info you could provide! I'm thinking about buying a pedal, unless I hear otherwise. Thank you again!
Old 28th March 2014
Here for the gear

Hey, I figured it out, thanks for all the views . I do need to put a pedal in front of the looper, much to my chagrin (the amp being SS with effects already).
📝 Reply