The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
Purchasing Massive vs. Komplete 9, Noob question! Virtual Instrument Plugins
Old 10th March 2014
Here for the gear

Purchasing Massive vs. Komplete 9, Noob question!

Hey everyone, I've lurked this forum for quite sometime but I figured it was time for me to make an account and ask my first question!

Native instruments just released today that all their synthesizers were half priced. I've been toying around with logic, ES2, and the massive demo. I would love to purchase massive for $100, but I was also thinking if I should wait around to pick up the full komplete 9 package when it goes on sale. I know it would take a long time for me to learn the ins and outs of the whole package, but would it be more cost effective for me to wait or pickup massive at its discount price now? Are there any other options I should be aware of? How useful are all the additional programs that comes with komplete?

Advice, tips, questions, concerns, are all appreciated! Thanks everyone.
Old 11th March 2014
Lives for gear

I have Komplete 8 and I will admit, I haven't fully dived but here's what I can tell you. The sound quality of the NI stuff is a bit better than Logic's stuff for sure. At the same time, I think Logic's stuff is fairly usable and workable. But Logic definitely falls short in the quality bass sounds department so I can understand you wanting Massive. I'd also say look into Trilian by Spectrasonics, I think that sounds a little bit better than Massive but it's also more expensive and I'm not sure if they ever put their stuff on sale?

It depends on how much buying Komplete would break the bank for you. Is it a must-have, no. But is it nice to have, most definitely yes. One thing I like about Komplete is somewhere in there, there's a fairly large collection of world music percussion instruments. I don't really use Battery, Absynth is nice but doesn't really work for the kind of music I do. Absynth is a fairly left of center sounding synth in my opinion, might be good more for movie stuff? FM8 is nice but I wouldn't be bummed out without it. The pianos in Komplete are better sounding than Logic but still don't sound wholly convincing to me at the same time.

Ditto for the stringed orchestral instruments but again a bit better sounding than Logic. All in all Komplete kind of gives you everything and the kitchen sink and more but there's no reason you can't make great tracks without it. I have a friend in London who does all styles of music and her tracks are really great and all she has is Logic, no extra anything!

Edit: I should also add in that I've found some of the crazier sounds and instruments (and there are many) in Komplete to be fairly inspiring, way more than anything I've come across in Logic. So if you're into some left of center stuff with the tracks you do then that would be another plus for Komplete
Old 11th March 2014
Here for the gear

^ thanks for your prompt response. I'm interested in EDM production mainly. Tweaking around with Massive in the demo version is fun, but its just that, its still a demo version. I actually don't have any idea what the other programs even do (absynth, FM8, Battery, etc). Thats why I am leaning on just picking up massive by itself. But if massive by itself limits me from taking my productions to its fullest potential, then I guess I would need komplete? I guess in a way to describe it is that, "I don't want to be an artist, that is limited on the colors that I can use." if that makes sense or not. My little own wisdom to myself. hah.
Old 11th March 2014
Lives for gear

Well in terms of EDM, certainly plenty of producers love Massive so you can't go wrong with that. Battery is the NI drum module so you can use it to organize and tweak your sampled drums. It's basically the NI version of Ultrabeat but with way more tweakable parameters. For example you can dial in a humanize aspect where each hit is slightly different in pitch and volume but with EDM, I'm thinking that would be more of a minus?!! Great for acoustic drums to make is sound like a 'real' player, but maybe not so great for electronic drums where you want the beat to be solid and consistent. I just find it overkill for my needs so I stick to Ultrabeat as all I really want it to do is playback a sample and nothing else.

Absynth wouldn't be much use for dance music I don't think. FM8 is the software synth version of the old Yamaha DX7 synth, the first synth back in the day (I think?) to use FM synthesis. It has some great sounds but I don't know if this would be a popular dance music synth, you'll have to google that. FM8 is really, really complicated if you want to go beyond using the stock sounds, I've never been able to fully wrap my head around it, the internal routing is insane

I would say that Komplete would be really handy for you for ear candy stuff if you're talking about "colors". The thing I go to the most are the instruments in the Kontakt player and I still haven't fully got thru them all. Like I said there are so many crazy sounds and instruments in there, with a bit of creative processing, like filtering or drastic eq'ing and taking a tiny piece and looping it, adding delay/reverb you could have some really unique little sounds to go in and out of a track and make it super interesting. Depends on how nutty you want to get. If you're a total tweakhead who loves that kind of thing, manipulating a sound and turning it to something else then it could be great. But I wouldn't say there are many of the Kontakt player instruments that are straight up dance music sounds

So one thing I can't tell you for sure is how useful Komplete is for dance music synths. Massive yes for the bass but the rest of the synth stuff you might want to look up, I'm not sure. I have Omnisphere and absolutely love it and constantly go to that which is why I haven't really fully explored Komplete's synths apart from Absynth and FM8 and found I preferred Omnisphere over them both

Edit: The FM8 can be excellent if you're willing to dive in deep and really learn how to use it, I know Skrillex is a big fan of it. This seems like it might be a good vid to watch and give you an idea of what the FM8 is all about but you'll notice it involves a fair amount of tweaking
http://vimeo.com/39560648
Old 11th March 2014
Here for the gear

^ great video. but I didn't sink in anything that was being said. haha I'm starting to lean towards just getting massive alone and put a fair amount of time learning the ins and outs of that program. I feel like if I got the whole package, I will become a bit overwhelmed and spread myself a bit too thin. I am aspiring to produce towards progressive house like this..

https://soundcloud.com/mainstagemusi...-free-download

I think massive alone would help me achieve this? To an amateur ear, it just seems like some catchy synths, kicks, claps, snares, and hats. Maybe theres more, but I am not on that level of knowledge yet.

I do appreciate the help by the way Bigdog. Another set of opinions is better than thinking what I think "I know!"
Old 11th March 2014
Lives for gear

Stop the presses - okay there's a couple of synths in the latest Komplete that aren't in mine, I'm really liking this Monark, I think I'll grab it for $50! I can't check out that soundcloud clip right now as I'm working and use old software that doesn't support soundcloud but later I'll boot up in my new OS and check it out. Have a look at the Monark vid

MONARK: New Virtual Analog Synth from Native Instruments - Dubspot Video Preview - YouTube
Old 11th March 2014
Here for the gear

sigh... thanks for showing me that within 5 minutes of my last post. It seems like an incredible synth as well :\ now I am "kompletely" lost in what to do.
Old 11th March 2014
Lives for gear

Get Massive for now, learn it really well and in the meantime save up for Komplete 10 - according to a few different spots I just saw, when they put Komplete on sale, that means the new version is around the corner.... might be out in the fall 2014? One downside of having Komplete for me is there's SO much stuff it's hard to focus on one thing and learn it really well. Massive is something I'd really like to get to know better in terms of programming but I'm always so A.D.D when I have Komplete open, too many shiny objects. Learning the bass module inside and out because that's the only thing you have would really do you well as it's a very useful skill you'll always have

Komplete 10 round the corner? | NI Support Forum
Old 11th March 2014
Here for the gear

yeah, that doesn't sound like a bad idea. I will sack up and get massive tonight then so I can play with it. Thanks for the help!

and another question. how much would the new komplete be? maybe I should just buy 9 when it hits sale?
Old 11th March 2014
Lives for gear

FM8 is my new favorite thing. I bought Komplete 8 a year ago and I'm still figuring out all the instruments and what their uses are. Reaktor is insane, you can design your own modular stuff and there is a huge community of people sharing instruments for it. Synthesis is very inspiring. Have fun, Massive is a blast.
Old 11th March 2014
mwe
Gear Head

If you can wait a few days I'd at least look around for a 'used' copy of Komplete. I don't think Massive has had a major update in a while so an older license will let you apply most (maybe all) of the updates to the current version. Plus you'll get all the other included software. NI licensing will also let you upgrade any previous version of Komplete to the current version. They usually have 50% off sales on the updates once a year or so. I bought a Komplete 6 license last year for $75 and then got the update to Komplete 9 for another $75 during the last sale.
Old 11th March 2014
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jonnywhoop View Post
yeah, that doesn't sound like a bad idea. I will sack up and get massive tonight then so I can play with it. Thanks for the help!

and another question. how much would the new komplete be? maybe I should just buy 9 when it hits sale?
I'm not sure how much, maybe around the same price as the current one? 9 would be great too if the price is right, it would keep you well occupied for a very, very long time. I would guess if you bought 9 on sale then if 10 came out not long after that, you would have the option to buy the upgrade to 10 if there was something you felt you absolutely had to have that wasn't in 9.
Topic:

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search