The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
Pitch difference between 48k and 44.1k (not what you think) Ribbon Microphones
Old 7th March 2014
Here for the gear

Pitch difference between 48k and 44.1k (not what you think)

I recently recorded vocals on a song clocked at 44.1 but was supposed to be at 48k. In the studio, while recording the vocals, the song was playing back slower (makes sense because it wasn't clocking correctly) and we liked it! So we finished tracking vocals to the incorrect sample rate on purpose.

My problem is, tuning the vocals. Because of the pitch shift which occurs when changing sample rates like that, the song is now between keys.

Does anyone know exactly how much that pitch shift is? How many cents??
Old 7th March 2014
Gear Nut
This may not help much, but on my original blackface ADAT, which is a 48K machine, one can pitch down to 44.1K by going to -147 on the pitch down button.
Old 7th March 2014
Quote:
Originally Posted by danpremo View Post
I recently recorded vocals on a song clocked at 44.1 but was supposed to be at 48k. In the studio, while recording the vocals, the song was playing back slower (makes sense because it wasn't clocking correctly) and we liked it! So we finished tracking vocals to the incorrect sample rate on purpose.

My problem is, tuning the vocals. Because of the pitch shift which occurs when changing sample rates like that, the song is now between keys.

Does anyone know exactly how much that pitch shift is? How many cents??
-146.70690006119764 cents.

The sampling clock ratio is 44100/48000, and from there you can convert this ratio into an interval of cents using something like this: cents to frequency ratios conversion and convert frequency ratio to cent Hz cps interval pitch piano tuning calculator audio change fraction TET cents to hertz (herz) calculator
Old 7th March 2014
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rexesq View Post
This may not help much, but on my original blackface ADAT, which is a 48K machine, one can pitch down to 44.1K by going to -147 on the pitch down button.
Dingding! That is the correct answer
Old 17th March 2014
Here for the gear

Ok, with that said, how can I tune vocals easily? I have Antares, melodyne, and waves tune... Do any of these programs have the ability to set the scale in a manner so that it is exactly that ratio or that many cents flat? I ultimately want to be able to tune the vocals on a grid. Right now, it's slightly off and it hurts to listen to it before I nudge it.
Old 17th March 2014
Gear Addict

Why don't you simply run SRC on the file?
Old 17th March 2014
Lives for gear
Do these tuning devices have a setting for an alternate A other than A-440? Just set that to 404.25 Hz and you'll be fine. (44100/48000)*440

It's almost exactly 1 and a half semitones, a semitone and a quarter-tone, flat, so you're going to have an interesting time adding instruments. Tuning strings down a quarter-tone then playing in a key a semitone lower will work.
Old 18th March 2014
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by monocluster View Post
Why don't you simply run SRC on the file?
sorry that this is off topic but, but I wanted to know:

is this your bird in the picture?

Does it chill out with you in the studio?

It looks freakin awesome!

@OP: use melodyne!!!

cheers
Old 18th March 2014
Gear Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by NeoHippy View Post
sorry that this is off topic but, but I wanted to know:

is this your bird in the picture?

Does it chill out with you in the studio?

It looks freakin awesome!

@OP: use melodyne!!!

cheers
Ya his name is Joey (actually Giuseppe Verdi, after the Romantic period Italian operatic composer. Because he's green...). He's a two year old Quaker. That picture is a composite (the board is a Soundcraft vi series live console) but Joey does go to the studio with me. He also gets to live at FOH on festival days if the weather is nice.
Old 19th March 2014
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by monocluster View Post
Ya his name is Joey (actually Giuseppe Verdi, after the Romantic period Italian operatic composer. Because he's green...). He's a two year old Quaker. That picture is a composite (the board is a Soundcraft vi series live console) but Joey does go to the studio with me. He also gets to live at FOH on festival days if the weather is nice.
Great

What a happy bird!!
Old 13th July 2016
Gear Head

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rexesq View Post
Thank you kind sir!
Old 10th October 2018
Here for the gear

Pitching up from 44 to match 48khz, I found that 139 cent seemed to work better.
Topic:

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search