The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
my first outboard compressor help Dynamics Processors (HW)
Old 4th March 2014
Gear Nut

my first outboard compressor help

Hey everyone, i have a fully modified gap73 pre and am now looking for a outboard compressor for tracking vocals. I have been looking at the rnc but the unbalanced thing worries me Alot. Will this be a problem with my gap pre? Ive read all of the other threads on this topic but im still not sure if this will be a problem.
Thanks
Old 4th March 2014
Get a GAP Comp54. Fantastic unit and affordable. Iv been using one for over a year now and would never get rid. Sounds great on vocals, acoustic guitar and bass!
Old 5th March 2014
Lives for gear

art provla can't beat it at that price level
Old 5th March 2014
Here for the gear
Wa76, i'm saving some money for buying one, search it, people says that it's really good
Old 5th March 2014
Lives for gear

yes the wa76 would be my next suggestion if you can throw a few more hundred in the pot
Old 5th March 2014
Lives for gear

The Comp54 is great. I also have no doubt the WA76 is excellent. Bryce (Warm Audio) knows what he's doing.
I have a Mohog 1176 and if Bryce's WA76 is in the ballpark I'd give that the edge. 1176s are really versatile. I'd get one of these two comps.

Or even better, get both.
Old 16th March 2014
Gear Nut

Thanks guys i just saw these replies, i decided to just continue to record with no compression as i feel i may screw up the vocal takes with my lack of knowledge or skills with compressing
Old 17th March 2014
definitely do not get the RNC, i find that most plugins will do a better job (i know you want it for tracking, but it will just kinda guff up your sound i've found) and it doesnt have the best resale value.. something 1176 style is what i find is the best thing BY FAR to track vocals with. Either the lindell X7 (i own one fantastic just on par with my other great compressors which cost around 1500$) if you are thinking about getting more outboard eventually this might be the way too go with 500 series. Or as everybody else suggested WA76. both of those are going to sound about 50X better then the RNC for tracking vocals and the resale is better.
Old 17th March 2014
Lives for gear

It's just like anything, you gotta keep at it and do a little trial and error to get the hang of it (tracking with comp). I do all of the time now either through my BAC comp or A Designs Nail. The nail was actually a little easier to get the hang of than the BAC was.
Old 23rd March 2014
Gear Nut

So i heard the pbc6a and really liked it on vox, got one on ebay for $275. Question. How do i connect everything correctly going from a gap73 pre to a firestudio mobile interface? Im guessing i can use the insert on the gap for tracking vox right? Where would i run the insert to? And How would i use the pbc6a while mixing in ptotools? Sorry for the dumb questions i just want to make sure i get the right cables as ive never had to do this kind of routing
Thanks guys
Old 23rd March 2014
Lives for gear

You can run the PBC-6a as an insert with the Pre73 (standard Y insert cable) or you can run it in line. Just go out of the Pre73 into the PBC-6a and out of the PBC-6a into the interface.

Is the PBC-6a XLR only? You may need a couple TRS to XLR male/female cables.
Old 23rd March 2014
Gear Nut

Im not sure if the pbc is xlr only, i def have to look into that (i havnt received the unit yet) i was just told by another gearslutz memeber that i would have to upgrade my interface in order to use the pbc for mixing. Since my firestudio mobile only has the 2 main outputs, Is this correct?
Old 23rd March 2014
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by dbarnes6357 View Post
Im not sure if the pbc is xlr only, i def have to look into that (i havnt received the unit yet) i was just told by another gearslutz memeber that i would have to upgrade my interface in order to use the pbc for mixing. Since my firestudio mobile only has the 2 main outputs, Is this correct?
If it's just got the main monitor outs then you won't be able to use it as an insert. You could print tracks through it but you'd have to switch cables around and wouldn't be able to monitor normally while doing so.
Old 23rd March 2014
Lives for gear

Quote:
I had one. I remember it being XLR. It was a cool compressor.
Old 23rd March 2014
Gear Nut

So i cannot use it as an insert? So its basically useless unless i have more outputs? I thought i would be able to at least track with it. Guess i need a new interface now
Old 23rd March 2014
Lives for gear

You can track with it, of course.
I just don't see a way to use it as an insert if there aren't more than the monitor outs on your interface.

You realize I mean an insert from your DAW, right? Since you'd mentioned your friend said you wouldn't be able to use it for "mixing".

You can totally use it as a HW insert off your preamp.
Old 23rd March 2014
Gear Nut

Ok cool, thanks alot ragan i really appreciate you taking time to explain this to me. So what cable(s) would i need to connect all of this?
Old 24th March 2014
Lives for gear

Quote:
Ok cool, thanks alot ragan i really appreciate you taking time to explain this to me. So what cable(s) would i need to connect all of this?
No problem. To track with it, you'll just need a TRS > XLR Male (to go from the Pre73 to the PBC-6a) and an XLR Female > TRS (to go from the PBC-6a to a line in on your interface).
Or if you want to use it as an insert with the Pre73 you'll need a Y insert cable where the Y end is a male and female XLR. I've never seen that cable but I'm assuming it exists.
Old 25th March 2014
Gear Nut

A fellow gs member told me to get this but i dont think it is what you described
Hosa Technology Stereo 1/4" Male to 2 Mono STP-201 B&H
Old 25th March 2014
Lives for gear

Quote:
A fellow gs member told me to get this but i dont think it is what you described
Hosa Technology Stereo 1/4" Male to 2 Mono STP-201 B&H
Yeah the PBC-6a is XLR only so that wouldn't work.
Old 26th March 2014
Gear Nut

Ok i thought so...ill go up to the guitar center and see if they have what i need
Old 3rd April 2014
Gear Nut

Hey ragan, i just got a firestudio project interface(needed more outputs) and was wondering what cables i would need in order to use my pbc6a as an insert when mixing? Right now i have the pbc set up to compress While tracking(thanks to your help btw). Basically Im having a hard time getting the results im looking for while tracking, so i want to record a dry take and process it the mix with the pbc so i can have a better idea for my tracking settings
Old 3rd April 2014
Lives for gear

Quote:
Hey ragan, i just got a firestudio project interface(needed more outputs) and was wondering what cables i would need in order to use my pbc6a as an insert when mixing? Right now i have the pbc set up to compress While tracking(thanks to your help btw). Basically Im having a hard time getting the results im looking for while tracking, so i want to record a dry take and process it the mix with the pbc so i can have a better idea for my tracking settings
I looked up your interface and it looks like it's got 2 inserts on the back. So in that case you'd just go out (or "send") of, say, insert 1 and into the PBC-6a then out of the PBC-6a and back into ("return") insert 1. Then in your DAW just select that hardware insert 1 on the channel you want to compress and you should be good to go.
Old 3rd April 2014
Gear Nut

Thanks man your the best. as far as cables can i use the same xlr to trs cables that im using for tracking?
Old 3rd April 2014
Lives for gear

Quote:
Thanks man your the best. as far as cables can i use the same xlr to trs cables that im using for tracking?
Yep. Those should be the right ones.
Old 3rd April 2014
Gear Nut

Perfect so instead of running them into the line inputs of the interface i just run one to the insert's send and the other to the insert's return right? And if i wanna track with it i can just switch the cable back around? One more question. when using the pbc during mixing can i just select insert 1 on each track that i want to use it on? Basically can i have my lead vocals and all my background vocal tracks set to insert 1 at the same time?
Old 3rd April 2014
Gear Nut

Also i read a few other threads saying to use the ins and outs on the interface and not the inserts like u suggested.…is this correct?
Old 3rd April 2014
Lives for gear

You can do it either way but if you use the line ins/outs you'll have to use another track to monitor or print the effect.

If you run all your vocal tracks to the PBC-6a it'll be compressing them all at the same time. It would work but wouldn't be my choice for vocal compression.
Old 3rd April 2014
Lives for gear

Like suggested, if I were you I'd just save and get a WA76. It'll definitely be worth it in the lond run.
Old 3rd April 2014
Gear Nut

Thanks again ragan, so basically i have to go track by track, dial in the compressor settings, print those settings to a new track, then repeat for other tracks that i want to compress? This hardware stuff is all new to me so im getting grips on it thanks to all of these replies.
Topic:

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search