The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
my first outboard compressor help Dynamics Processors (HW)
Old 3rd April 2014
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by dbarnes6357 View Post
Thanks again ragan, so basically i have to go track by track, dial in the compressor settings, print those settings to a new track, then repeat for other tracks that i want to compress? This hardware stuff is all new to me so im getting grips on it thanks to all of these replies.
Yeah, you're right.
Old 3rd April 2014
Gear Nut

Wow i was right about something? I guess that makes me an expert now lol. But it does make since tho...Thanks wisdom, cant wait to get home n test all of this out! Damn real job that funds all of this
Old 4th April 2014
Gear Nut

"You can do it either way but if you use the line ins/outs you'll have to use another track to monitor or print the effect"

Since My monitors are connected to the main outputs 1\2. Why cant i use any of the other available line ins and outs in this situation? What are they used for?
Old 4th April 2014
Lives for gear

Quote:
Wow i was right about something? I guess that makes me an expert now lol. But it does make since tho...Thanks wisdom, cant wait to get home n test all of this out! Damn real job that funds all of this
It's a good thing to have a job that allows you to buy what you want (to a certain extent)...means that things are kept fun for longer.
Old 4th April 2014
Lives for gear

Quote:
"You can do it either way but if you use the line ins/outs you'll have to use another track to monitor or print the effect"

Since My monitors are connected to the main outputs 1\2. Why cant i use any of the other available line ins and outs in this situation? What are they used for?
You can. Use a line in and line out and connect the PBC-6a. But then how are you going to hear it? You've got to have an aux or an audio track whose input is set to the line in coming back from the PBC-6a to be able to hear what it's doing.
Or just use it as a HW insert.
Old 4th April 2014
Gear Nut

So when u say i can just use it as a hw insert, does that eliminate the need to "use an extra aux or audio track whose input is set to the line coming back in to hear what the comp is doing"? Im confused and stupid! sorry man, wish i paid 50k for school (not really tho). I thought that i needed to do that in either situation?
Old 4th April 2014
Lives for gear

You're not stupid, man!

Yeah, if you use it as an insert in your DAW, you just put it on the track like you would a plug in. No extra track needed.
Old 4th April 2014
Gear Nut

Coooool, so like u suggested earlier, i still would have to print the compression onto new track tho right, since i cant use it as a insert on all the vox at the same times?
Old 4th April 2014
Lives for gear

Yeah so if you're using the HW comp in an active mix where you're doing the final bounce, you can leave it as an insert and just print/bounce the whole song. If you want to have the effect there but be able to leave the session and use the comp for something else and come back to it, you'd need to either chart your settings or just commit to the sound and print it to a new track.
Or yeah, if you want to use that come for multiple individual tracks, you'd need to be printing them.
Topic:

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search