The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
Music Producers as a career Effects Pedals, Units & Accessories
Old 12th March 2014
  #61
Gear Guru
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dwayne7 View Post
im passionate about this and its what Im going to do hell or high water(not producing just audio in general), anticipating a lot of the hell part. So I was just staying positive, whatever happens I might as well go into it with some hope because Im doing it regardless. But don't get me wrong, im not some naïve kid, I do know the harsh realities of my decision.
that's great for you, and that kind of dedication is probably necessary, but you should still not couch it in the form of advice to others.

It is one thing to give yourself a "go for it" pep talk, but it is another thing altogether to give such a pep talk to someone else who quite possibly has not thought through all the potential "harsh realities" of his decision.

More to the point, your chosen path is still in front of you - you do not know if your plan will work out or not. If you make it big in the music business, by all means come back and tell us how you did it.

If you went on some extreme diet and successfully lost 50 lbs, you could come back and tell others: "I ate nothing but grass for 6 months and I lost weight and feel fantastic". It is a completely different thing to show up and say "I started the Grass-Only diet yesterday, and I just know I am going to lose weight and that it's going to be totally safe, so all you guys should also eat nothing but grass"

Advising other people to take big risks when you yourself have not yet proven that such risks work is, as bambamboom says, irresponsible.
Old 12th March 2014
  #62
Gear Head
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by joeq View Post
that's great for you, and that kind of dedication is probably necessary, but you should still not couch it in the form of advice to others.

It is one thing to give yourself a "go for it" pep talk, but it is another thing altogether to give such a pep talk to someone else who quite possibly has not thought through all the potential "harsh realities" of his decision.

More to the point, your chosen path is still in front of you - you do not know if your plan will work out or not. If you make it big in the music business, by all means come back and tell us how you did it.

If you went on some extreme diet and successfully lost 50 lbs, you could come back and tell others: "I ate nothing but grass for 6 months and I lost weight and feel fantastic". It is a completely different thing to show up and say "I started the Grass-Only diet yesterday, and I just know I am going to lose weight and that it's going to be totally safe, so all you guys should also eat nothing but grass"

Advising other people to take big risks when you yourself have not yet proven that such risks work is, as bambamboom says, irresponsible.
Point taken and generally this is right. But in my defense I was pretty clear the whole way through in almost every post that this was my own opinion/ anticipation and there was absolutely no merit to what I was saying. I was discrediting myself for the exact reasons you listed above in the quote.

And something completely random and irrelevant, but that's funny you said that because I actually have lost 50 lbs since high school haha. Actually 52 pounds on the nose according to my weigh in yesterday. Crazy coincidence, good guess lol. Wasn't no damn grass diet though
Old 12th March 2014
  #63
Lives for gear
 
JAZJETSON's Avatar
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by vintagelove View Post
No no no no....... and no.....

What the website left out is 90% of producers don't even make $20k.... or even rent money....

What studio are you going to "produce" out of? Are you planning on setting up you own (have 50k?)? Do you know how much rent and electric cost? What happens when you have no clients for a month and bills are due?

Let me ask you one more very important question, why would someone choose you?

For instance, (I know this sounds like bragging, but trust me I am just trying to save you years of disappointment in life). "I" (and about 10,000 other guys) have about 15 years more experience, a .....

What pops said!
Old 12th March 2014
  #64
Gear Guru
 
drBill's Avatar
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dwayne7 View Post
another thing drBill. I will admit I was over arguing my opinion a bit haha. I totally understand your side of it too but im passionate about this and its what Im going to do hell or high water(not producing just audio in general), anticipating a lot of the hell part. So I was just staying positive, whatever happens I might as well go into it with some hope because Im doing it regardless. But don't get me wrong, im not some naïve kid, I do know the harsh realities of my decision. I still do think the internet is and is becoming even more of a marketing tool every day though.
OK. Let us know when you "make it" then. Looking forward to hearing the reality of YOUR paradigm. I will guarantee you one thing though......the path to getting there will not look anything like what you envision it will.
Old 12th March 2014
  #65
Gear Head
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by drBill View Post
OK. Let us know when you "make it" then. Looking forward to hearing the reality of YOUR paradigm. I will guarantee you one thing though......the path to getting there will not look anything like what you envision it will.
I was tryng to be civil and you quote my attempt at reaching a middle ground with this sarcastic passive aggressive garbage? Nothing you said before got on my nerves because it was a debate. This was just ignorant crap though. You don't know me OR what I envision. Im talking facts about marketing (nothing to do with engineering, which I admit you know more about then me obviously) and you are sitting there trying to tell me that the worlds the same as it was in 1995.

Keep living in the past buddy and you're just gonna end up falling behind like the entire industry is(That's coming from Leslie Brathwaite's opinion incase you don't value mine). Im done with this now.
Old 12th March 2014
  #66
Gear Guru
 
drBill's Avatar
Friend, all I was trying to say was that the road to success is varied, and it almost certainly will not be a straight path, nor one that you envision today. Nothing passive-aggressive or sarcastic intended at all. I think you misread me. I'll be excited to hear your take on the biz after you've achieved what you're shooting for.

As for falling behind,,,,that's AOK with me. I've lived and worked thru the golden era of music and have achieved far beyond my wildest expectations of what I was hoping for when I was your age. For me, it's been the dream ride of a lifetime. I'm happy to fall behind whatever the music industry is becoming.
Old 12th March 2014
  #67
Gear Addict
 
mitchiemasha's Avatar
 

Do neither, become a DJ and listen to music day and night. When you get too old for it be happy reminiscing all the beautiful women. Just remember the older you get the more you must work out or the uglier the women get, lol!

Ok, if you want a family this is bad advice. But, i'd much prefer to end up stacking shelves, flipping burgers or working security on the night shift than going to university and learning law, engineering or architecture etc. Much better to leave these roles for people who are passionate about them. Try it, if you're good at it you might like it. I tried engineering, it was hell. I tried Music Tech, that was hell too. Lecturers not knowing what to teach, often wasting entire sessions blabbing on about totally unrelated subjects. I ended up hid in the sequencing room, locked in cubase. Once i got my first PC and synth, I was gone. What i'm saying here is, if choosing Music Tech education, choose wisely... I must add, there was 1 lecturer who only taught the 1 year i happened to be there, he was a genius. Pretty much all my ventures that worked out well, his help had been involved in some way. What i'm saying here is, some contacts can be invaluable, don't be afraid to pick up the phone, even if years later. The crossing of path can seem unbelievable, almost spiritual.

My stacking shelf days are fast approaching but my memories are priceless. 1 life bro, Make it yours!!!!

!!!EDIT!!! OHH!!! Looks like the OP has gone, now that i've read through the other post. Never mind!
Old 12th March 2014
  #68
Here for the gear
 

Sorry I haven't posted for so long guys; I've been pretty busy with school and all the ACT related testing.

After reading through this thread, I'm starting to realize that there are a lot of things I haven't taken into consideration. I'm starting to see that while I love recording music, I also would like to be able to support a family. So what I'll probably end up doing is Majoring in some other field and continue to record my own stuff on the equipment I have. I may or may not minor in Music.

From what I'm hearing is that Music Engineering schools teach things that I can learn on my own. After all, there are thousand of Youtube videos, books, and articles that teach how to use an Equalizer.

So I'll keep audio engineering/ songwriting as a hobby for now, and Major in Business or something instead. This way I'll have something to fall back on. I can always record in my spare time, and if I have a separate career I don't need to make money by recording in order to have a decent life.

Music shouldn't be made for money anyway, its art. And being an artist is something you do all the time, no matter what your career path is; It's part of who you are.

Thanks for the comments guys, this was a big help!
Old 12th March 2014
  #69
Gear Addict
my advice is... dont do it for the money... do it cuz its what you love to do... if u gotta pay bills and sacrafice to pay bills then do something to make money in the meantime, but dont base your life purpose on money because money is an empty thing, theres no fullfillment in money its sad to say... its needed to live in this society and its a tool to help you do what you want to do, thats it nothing more nothing less... if you can make ends meet and work at your dream... do that... **** everything else... tomarow is never promised
Old 12th March 2014
  #70
Lives for gear
 
lestermagneto's Avatar
Quote:
Originally Posted by kalikat View Post
Sorry I haven't posted for so long guys; I've been pretty busy with school and all the ACT related testing.

After reading through this thread, I'm starting to realize that there are a lot of things I haven't taken into consideration. I'm starting to see that while I love recording music, I also would like to be able to support a family. So what I'll probably end up doing is Majoring in some other field and continue to record my own stuff on the equipment I have. I may or may not minor in Music.

From what I'm hearing is that Music Engineering schools teach things that I can learn on my own. After all, there are thousand of Youtube videos, books, and articles that teach how to use an Equalizer.

So I'll keep audio engineering/ songwriting as a hobby for now, and Major in Business or something instead. This way I'll have something to fall back on. I can always record in my spare time, and if I have a separate career I don't need to make money by recording in order to have a decent life.

Music shouldn't be made for money anyway, its art. And being an artist is something you do all the time, no matter what your career path is; It's part of who you are.

Thanks for the comments guys, this was a big help!
Kalikat: after all the bloviating about your OP, you seem like an intelligent young man (sorry if i am assuming your gender..)… Your response is well thought out, and I am GLAD you spent the last week studying for what is truly important to your future.

You seem to have made a prudent decision (and your parents will thank us maybe)… Like I said, I attended college, worked my ass off there, and never used my degree pre se to get a job, but I have been real lucky, and sometimes really unlucky. You will NEVER regret busting your ass in school. EVER. And doing so certainly does not preclude you from becoming the next musical genius producer. If you budget your time right, and are bright and able to learn, you can develop your musical skill set in addition to the wealth and breadth of education you can get from something less effusive…

Most musicians I know did not go to "school" for it… ("Grunge" classes at MIT anyone?!!), but always had a passion for it that transcended and enveloped their other studied passions and concerns. Nick Drake studied at Oxford, Tom Morello at Harvard, etc… and they did not study music as their main discipline.

Best of luck, feel free to pm if you have other questions, and find that this place is an excellent forum for learning and debating different aspects.
Old 13th March 2014
  #71
Lives for gear
... don't know what to do with your life?

take a year off or 6, do some manual labor, go to europe, sit alone in your room for 8 months, whatever. system is designed in the university's/college's favor - kids flunk/change their minds, it's all $$ and remember the school is a corporation too. where is it written you have to go directly out of high school. if you finish university at 26, you still have FIFTY YEARS of work.

take your parents 50 grand, or your future 14-year debt, and save it til you know what to do.
Old 13th March 2014
  #72
Lives for gear
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by kalikat View Post
Sorry I haven't posted for so long guys; I've been pretty busy with school and all the ACT related testing.

After reading through this thread, I'm starting to realize that there are a lot of things I haven't taken into consideration. I'm starting to see that while I love recording music, I also would like to be able to support a family. So what I'll probably end up doing is Majoring in some other field and continue to record my own stuff on the equipment I have. I may or may not minor in Music.

From what I'm hearing is that Music Engineering schools teach things that I can learn on my own. After all, there are thousand of Youtube videos, books, and articles that teach how to use an Equalizer.

So I'll keep audio engineering/ songwriting as a hobby for now, and Major in Business or something instead. This way I'll have something to fall back on. I can always record in my spare time, and if I have a separate career I don't need to make money by recording in order to have a decent life.

Music shouldn't be made for money anyway, its art. And being an artist is something you do all the time, no matter what your career path is; It's part of who you are.

Thanks for the comments guys, this was a big help!

Bravo young man!!! Keep at music, produce music for people. Have fun, maybe some day you will have that big break. It shows a lot of intelligence to come to the conclusion you have. That intelligence will carry you regardless of your field of choice.

Also, a business degree, with impressive musical chops, has just as good a chance of landing you a job in the music biz as a music business degree. It can also get you a lot of other jobs if the music thing does not work out.

You made a good point about learning on your own. Remember whether it is a professor or a youtube video that teaches you "how to use an equalizer", it will take you ten years to really be able to hear it anyway. So open up your ears and start listening, it seems like you already have and are off to a good start!!!

Best of luck!!!!
Old 13th March 2014
  #73
Gear Guru
 
drBill's Avatar
Quote:
Originally Posted by kalikat View Post
Sorry I haven't posted for so long guys; I've been pretty busy with school and all the ACT related testing.

After reading through this thread, I'm starting to realize that there are a lot of things I haven't taken into consideration. I'm starting to see that while I love recording music, I also would like to be able to support a family. So what I'll probably end up doing is Majoring in some other field and continue to record my own stuff on the equipment I have. I may or may not minor in Music.

From what I'm hearing is that Music Engineering schools teach things that I can learn on my own. After all, there are thousand of Youtube videos, books, and articles that teach how to use an Equalizer.

So I'll keep audio engineering/ songwriting as a hobby for now, and Major in Business or something instead. This way I'll have something to fall back on. I can always record in my spare time, and if I have a separate career I don't need to make money by recording in order to have a decent life.

Music shouldn't be made for money anyway, its art. And being an artist is something you do all the time, no matter what your career path is; It's part of who you are.

Thanks for the comments guys, this was a big help!
kalikat - your post is bittersweet for me. I'm glad you've got your head screwed on straight, and are taking a responsible look at life. That's a good thing that you may regret next year, but will be soooooo glad you did when you are 50+ years old. You ARE making the "responsible" choice for you and your family.

But your decision is bittersweet to me because the logical avenues and pathways of a "career" in music have been decimated by the internet and several generations belief that music should be as free as the air they breathe. This has devalued music beyond what I could have ever imagined 25 years ago.

My hope is that young guys like yourself will somehow have a fighting chance sometime in the near future to enter a career (music) that can be so satisfying, but alas, I hold no confidence in that. Best of luck with whatever you do, and no matter what you choose, don't give up enjoying making music for the pure joy of it.
Old 13th March 2014
  #74
Here for the gear
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by drBill View Post
kalikat - your post is bittersweet for me. I'm glad you've got your head screwed on straight, and are taking a responsible look at life. That's a good thing that you may regret next year, but will be soooooo glad you did when you are 50+ years old. You ARE making the "responsible" choice for you and your family.

But your decision is bittersweet to me because the logical avenues and pathways of a "career" in music have been decimated by the internet and several generations belief that music should be as free as the air they breathe. This has devalued music beyond what I could have ever imagined 25 years ago.

My hope is that young guys like yourself will somehow have a fighting chance sometime in the near future to enter a career (music) that can be so satisfying, but alas, I hold no confidence in that. Best of luck with whatever you do, and no matter what you choose, don't give up enjoying making music for the pure joy of it.
I wasn't saying that music should be free. It is just as much as a product as a pair of shoes or a car. I was saying that because so much artistic depth goes into making music, that I shouldn't stop just because I'm not going to be paid to do it. The music making process is part of who I am, and I will keep doing it even though it isn't a part of my career.

I appreciate the advice from everyone. This has been a big help; especially with all the stress I've been under the past few weeks because of the ACT
Old 13th March 2014
  #75
Here for the gear
 
JrChery's Avatar
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by joeq View Post
That utter lack of guarantees to get to these attainable-by-almost-everyone-else goals is why it is not called a "career". If he is STILL ready to go for it, ready to give up a comfortable, normal life, that should be an informed choice. That's all.

The OP should carefully consider what he wants now and also what he will want in the future.
Wow this convo has really progressed since i've last been on here. Im starting to like this gearsluts thing.

But in reading back on my recent post, I must say that i dont know what exactly got into me, but i was a bit more exuberant than i usually would be. my apologies extends to everybody that i mentioned within the post. thats not how i carry myself.

Honestly i still feel that some of you guys are missing the point i was trying to make. What im saying is that success shouldnt be defined by money. And that whatever the OP decides to do, hopefully he goes into it because it is something that truly interest him. Not just because it is something that's going generate revenue. I guess the reason i got so upset was because nobody seemed to be making that point, and in sheer fury i projected myself onto the OP and became defensive in his place.

BUT that doesnt mean that what i said has any less validity. Just the intensity of which it was delivered should've been a little compressed.

And To the OP, it's good and progressive to gather opinions of others in order to come to a conclusion...just make sure that the final and deciding opinion is truly yours. Like i said it seems like you have a good head on your shoulders so whatever you decide to do i'm optimistic that you'll do just fine.
Old 13th March 2014
  #76
Gear Guru
 
drBill's Avatar
Quote:
Originally Posted by kalikat View Post
I wasn't saying that music should be free.
I knew that. I was making an overarching philosophical observation about how difficult it is for people to start off in a career in music in 2014. It's always been difficult, but in the "old days" if you had a decent amount of talent, and moderate amount of drive, you could do it. Not so easy anymore. Half the studio's don't even WANT interns anymore because of the liability issues. Hard times to break in.... Like I said, best of luck with your path....
Old 13th March 2014
  #77
Gear Guru
 
drBill's Avatar
Quote:
Originally Posted by JrChery View Post
Honestly i still feel that some of you guys are missing the point i was trying to make. What im saying is that success shouldnt be defined by money.
I think that everyone would agree with you on that. The money part, not the missing the point part. But that said, in our society, and in most industries, money is generally an indicator of the degree of success you've had in whatever undertaking you pursue. Add in the fact that most of us don't live in a society that supports artists by subsidy, so we HAVE to produce something or put in our hours if we want to eat and have a place to sleep. That makes parsing the fine line between art and commerce very difficult at times. Let's face it, if a person's goal is PRIMARILY money, and secondarily art, they would be insane to even consider music as a career. Almost all of us that pursue music as a career have chosen to put the art first, but without the $$$, art and life becomes very difficult. And ultimately, the art suffers.
Old 13th March 2014
  #78
Here for the gear
 

Thanks for sharing Dwayne!
Old 13th March 2014
  #79
Gear Head
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by drBill View Post
Friend, all I was trying to say was that the road to success is varied, and it almost certainly will not be a straight path, nor one that you envision today. Nothing passive-aggressive or sarcastic intended at all. I think you misread me. I'll be excited to hear your take on the biz after you've achieved what you're shooting for.

As for falling behind,,,,that's AOK with me. I've lived and worked thru the golden era of music and have achieved far beyond my wildest expectations of what I was hoping for when I was your age. For me, it's been the dream ride of a lifetime. I'm happy to fall behind whatever the music industry is becoming.
Haha ok ok. Sorry for overreacting as well. Either way we're good its all done now

Quote:
Originally Posted by fdsaevad View Post
... don't know what to do with your life?

take a year off or 6, do some manual labor, go to europe, sit alone in your room for 8 months, whatever. system is designed in the university's/college's favor - kids flunk/change their minds, it's all $$ and remember the school is a corporation too. where is it written you have to go directly out of high school. if you finish university at 26, you still have FIFTY YEARS of work.

take your parents 50 grand, or your future 14-year debt, and save it til you know what to do.
+99999999 - OP Before I say any of this know Im NOT trying to talk you out of it, im just saying whats on my mind to do with it and im not using business as an example because its what you said. This is actually what I say to everyone when I explain what I am wanting to do, you just happen to be going for the same thing that is in my explanation.

The thing I am happiest most about is that I DIDNT jump into something directly after highschool because I would have just taken something like business (no offense OP haha) like everyone else does. I think of business as the 'undecided degree' because where I grew up the majority of my peers did take business because it just seems like the thing to take once your done. Its versatile, business is everywhere, makes sense right? And that's usually the end of everyones thinking.

Manual labour (HARD, DIRTY manual labour, out in ****ty weather where you want to beat everyone you see with a shovel) really gives you perspective on what you want to do with your life, and for me it gave me that extra drive to want to goto school(at this point it was just school In general, undecided for what). Music has always been sitting on the back burner for me, I grew up in a very rural area where you either went to school for business or you did labour. So music just wasn't even a reality as far as everyones mindset was, so it wasn't for me, it was just a dream(everyday, all day). I changed my mind sooooooo many times about the degree i wanted to take in the 6 years since I graduated highschool. But whenever I decided on something, I would picture my life in 10 years IF I were to actually get that degree and be living that life (closest thing I came to doing was law.) And to be honest none of it made me happy when I thought about living that life. I finally just decided screw it, its been my dream my whole life, im going for music. Will I regret it later? Yes, its not a probably, its a 99.9% yes. But that's all part of my expectation. My drive to want to do it STILL after knowing that the odds of success are almost nothing is what made me realize that this IS what I want to do with my life. When I was thinking about my life in 10 years If I were to take the law road, there was money, A family, a nice house. But I was getting up everyday going to do something that I didn't 100% passionately want to do and I would probably be miserable, because that's just how I am. And the idea of that scared the **** out of me. So many people do what they think they should be doing and not what they want to do. Take your time, because your mind WILL change. Music was the only thing that's been consistent with my plans my whole life. Everything has came in and went right back out after consideration.

I think you ARE making a smart choice though, because the fact that this thread alone so easily convinced you to do otherwise shows me that I don't think you would be able to handle the decades of suffering (that im expecting for myself) music will most likely bring. So keep doing it as a hobby and see where it goes. I still like the electrical engineering idea better than Business though. But it all comes down to what you want, none of us know whats going on in your head. Just like nobody I grew up with knew I wanted to do music because I kept it to myself.

Quote:
Originally Posted by andytekken View Post
Thanks for sharing Dwayne!
Old 13th March 2014
  #80
Gear Guru
 
drBill's Avatar
The trick is getting both sides balanced - the "what you will enjoy doing 10-50 years from now" side, AND the $$$ side. If EITHER is too far out of balance, chances are you will miss major opportunities in life, and will be miserable.
Old 13th March 2014
  #81
Gear Head
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by drBill View Post
The trick is getting both sides balanced - the "what you will enjoy doing 10-50 years from now" side, AND the $$$ side. If EITHER is too far out of balance, chances are you will miss major opportunities in life, and will be miserable.
well yah. goes with saying im gonna need money. I just have a good idea what to expect based on what you guys are saying so I'm not going to expect it, and just hope it happens.

With that being said I also have experiences that will help me down the path because I didn't jump right into something after highschool. Besides the oil rigs and labor I also have a few years experience working in nightclubs (and the connections I made doing it) so if I ever am starving for cash, which im sure I will be (and this is part of my plan for the first however many years it takes) I could also just go bartend or something for a night and make 200-600 dollars in tips. Now obviously not everyone has this luxury (don't really wanna call it a luxury because I earned it) but that's just my plan.
Old 15th March 2014
  #82
Here for the gear
 

One of the many problems with being in the music business is that the supply of people that can do music is so much larger than the demand.

Which means that even if you really are good enough, you're still ridiculously unlikely to be able to make a living doing this.

This is why the music business is really a fairly foolish business to try and get into. You might as well try to be an NBA star or an actor.

Still, there's a lot to be said for doing something that you love. And who knows?Maybe you're simply extraordinary at this and could make it in the end because you really do stand out that much.

Although, I suspect that if this were true we would have already heard about you.

Many people are willing to starve to get their dream. And the vast majority of these people get their wish, that is they starve.

It is far more sensible to go into a field with higher starting salaries and a more stable outlook.

But I suspect you already knew this didn't you?

Still, whatever you choose in the end, best of luck!
Old 15th March 2014
  #83
Moderator
 
matt thomas's Avatar
Quote:
Originally Posted by bird droppings View Post
You might as well try to be an NBA star or an actor.
Well an NBA star is successful mostly on ability, so I think your acting analogy is a better example.

matt
Old 16th March 2014
  #84
Gear Guru
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by matt thomas View Post
Well an NBA star is successful mostly on ability, so I think your acting analogy is a better example.
indeed - you also won't need to do much "starving". You will likely try out for pro ball right out of college and you will know probably in a matter of months whether you have what it takes or not.
Old 16th March 2014
  #85
Lives for gear
Quote:
Originally Posted by drBill View Post
blah blah blah ... but without the $$$, art and life becomes very difficult. And ultimately, the art suffers.


... does it though?



or does it thrive, like mold in a damp basement.



you see kids, the best thing about the demise of corporate control over music is that music is an art again and not a product sold similar to how a car is sold. just as any old idiot can access a pencil and paper, only one in millions has the drive to turn it into something that can capture the vast majority of viewers attention (art). thanks to digital, and the recent availability of technology needed to turn recording into something as accessible as a pencil and paper, music and recordings are the modern day pencil and paper. we all know that music is much much much more popular than drawing, and every kid with a daw and 2-3 years of doodling think he has what it takes to make a master piece. what you have to keep in mind is - the system is dead, doesn't work the same as it did even 7 years ago. thus. for the same reason most good actors are well over 30 and gaining recognition for their skills after a lifetime of dedication, and most artist are well over 30 after spending 20+ years of financially unyielding study and thousands of pictures, and only certain authors get published, thus the same as it is now with music.

kids: the music industry is dead. there ain't no more 'making it'. there's only the lonely, destitute dedication to your true love, art. and respect is returned once more to the art that is classified as music, Amen.

come, let us pray. Dear Lord, thank you for killing the music industry. Please put the internet in everybody's car, and factory radio, so that commercial radio can die next. Your faithful servant, Fairly Certain.




here's my new tune
https://www.dropbox.com/s/bi0gafhpm9...ugh%282%29.mp3
Old 16th March 2014
  #86
Gear Addict
 
Format C: yes's Avatar
 

Get a real job Hippy.
Having said that. Some things you are not going to be able to do as you get older financial/family commitments will stop you from taking a risk.
My advice while you are young chase your dreams BUT set a time limit if you are 18 having a 2 year crack won't hurt and you don't want to live your life with regrets. But have an exit strategy in place before to have a go you don't want to be 30 and still chasing "the next 6 months is going to be it".

Living life with no regrets means you don't want to be 45 and earning $20k a year with no real prospects to improve, you also don't want to be 45 and thinking if only I had taken a crack.

I took a lot of risk when I was young and was able to retire by 30 (not in audio) roll the dice but know when to get out always have an exit.
Old 16th March 2014
  #87
Gear Guru
 
drBill's Avatar
Quote:
Originally Posted by fdsaevad View Post
blah, blah, blah... does it though?
Yeah, actually, it does.
Old 16th March 2014
  #88
Gear Addict
 
mitchiemasha's Avatar
 

Kalikat... TRUTH!!!

You sound head strong and you're going to do great, what ever you do.
Old 16th March 2014
  #89
Lives for gear
 
chet.d's Avatar
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by drBill View Post
OK. I will guarantee you one thing though......the path to getting there will not look anything like what you envision it will.
It never does. Important for us all to not forget that.

How much can you you create & be a part of with others?
How many human relationships can one nurture in the name of musical & interpersonal symbiosis?
That's what matters, other than being good, when it comes to having any level of appreciable success.
Old 16th March 2014
  #90
Here for the gear
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by joeq View Post
indeed - you also won't need to do much "starving". You will likely try out for pro ball right out of college and you will know probably in a matter of months whether you have what it takes or not.
Sensible people might, but there are all kinds of ways to hang out for quite a few more years. Semi-pro leagues, various camps, and there's always manual labor while you go to every try-out and wait for the call.

Besides, by this time you probably pissed away your college education figuring you were going to be making those big NBA bucks.

And don't kid yourself, there are plenty of kids that are overlooked every year simply overlooked because their school wasn't big enough, or they didn't look like an NBA player to management.
Topic:
Post Reply

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.


 
 
Slide to join now Processing…
Thread Tools
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Forum Jump
Forum Jump