The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
WA76 hiss? Dynamics Processors (HW)
Old 1st March 2014
Gear Nut

WA76 hiss?

Hey guys, I'm still quite a newb when it comes to hardware and I finally bought my first compressor! The Warm Audio WA76.

My question is, is it normal for the output knob to induce so much hiss? It seems quite noisy if I push it toward 2 o clock, and past that, the S/N ratio is not very appealing... I don't see this bad with louder sources, but I can see it being a burden for softer/lower sources like female vox.

Can it be defective or is this the 1176 sound? Thanks in advance!
Old 1st March 2014
Lives for gear

can you give a sample I have a 1176 right here in front of me as we speak. not the wa but mine is not noisey at all.
Old 1st March 2014
Lives for gear

I dont have a wa76 yet, but how is your gainstageing, have you checked cables, How noisy is your mic are you getting good vocal separation from the noise floor, Ive read to try another outlet to plug into as well. I hope any of that helps.
Old 1st March 2014
Gear Nut

Hey guys thanks for the response!

I'm Feeding a blueberry mic with decent S/N and if I go directly into the tonebeast, I don't hear this hiss. It's strictly a WA76 thing.

I'm speaking to Bryce by email and will send him some examples. (He's been extremely helpful and a fast response) He thinks it might be an issue with my unit as well.

I'll update with audio examples soon.
Old 3rd March 2014
Lives for gear

cool, did you get the issue worked out what was the culprit?
Old 3rd March 2014
Gear Nut

Well after hours of research and listening to low signal examples, they all seem to have that high sizzle. Like a soft white noise. Some more apparent then others. I think I may have looked for it too much? I'm used to digital dead silence, so perhaps this is new to me?

If I do proper gain staging, it's not really that much of a deal.. I was cranking the makeup gain, something you normally wouldn't do I guess.

Does this sound normal to you sskillz? I'd love to hear an example of your 76. Low input signal, cranking that output knob up.
Old 3rd March 2014
Gear Nut

Oh I've read wrong! Thought you were the one with another type of 76.

My signal to noise is still very good. Also, I don't think it's an outlet thing.. It's not a bad hum. But a sizzly, fuzz. Very light and airy. On the warm audio site, an example with an acoustic guitar has that sound in it. I noticed the units output is cranked pretty high. Thats about the same I would get.
Old 4th March 2014
Lives for gear

I was thinking/hoping that was the case all analog gear and components therein will have a noise factor I was just hopeing it wasnt excessive with the WA76. I plan on getting a pair of these later down the road still have to research the linking mod a bit, though if there were too noisy I would have had to pass. Thanks for the update! it seems you helped me more then I was able to help you.
Old 4th March 2014
Lives for gear

I got your pm I will listen to it later tonight when i go t the studio for a session around midnight
Old 4th March 2014
Gear Addict
I too am finding that the noise floor on this comp is a lot higher then I thought when I have the output past 2 o'clock. Input sitting at about 12 o'clock running through a gap pre 73. I tend to think that it is possible that the gap pre might be contributing to the problem as well . I will try it out with another mic pre. I was using this on bass guitar. Really digging the sound of the wa76 followed by a heavily modded LA5. I can see why people like this combo. Now I can see the 4 x weeks of my spare time will now be taken up with experimentation .
Old 4th March 2014
Gear Addict

This level of quietness should be achieveable. If there's a problem with the unit let's get it replaced for you.

Warm Audio WA76 at ZenPro Audio: Twisted Knobs Series - YouTube (watch 2nd half with vocalist)

Warm Audio WA76 - Overview! - YouTube
Old 4th March 2014
Gear Addict
Thanks Bryce . I appreciate the quick response. I am pretty sure it is more user related then gear related as I also have poor electrical house wiring in an older house and I only have the same power outlet that the fridge is on. With a large amount of power board and double adapters running off a limited power supply I am sure this will effect the quality of soundi am getting.
Old 4th March 2014
Gear Addict

A couple pointers:

- You shouldn't need to turn the OUTPUT past 12 to 1 o'clock

- Send a hot enough signal into the WA76 (from a loud preamp) that the desired compression can occur with little movement from the INPUT. INPUT to be around 45-48 marker. This is with PAD off.

- Vocals 4:1, guitars 8:1, drums 12:1 or 20:1

- I find I like the WA76 in series rather than with a preamp insert, so MIC --> preamp --> WA76 --> line input of interface.
Old 4th March 2014
Lives for gear

The sweet spot on mine is input around 9 o'clock, output around 1 o'clock. This WA76 IS hotter than any other 76 I've used which is a good thing. There is no benefit to cranking the output way up. The setting I just mentioned yields a digital signal of around -12 rms. Can't imagine needing anything more than that going to storage.
Old 4th March 2014
Gear Nut

After a long discussion with Bryce, trying to figure out why I was getting noise, we agreed that I probably have a bad unit. I'll be sending it back today and hopefully receiving a new one sometime soon!

@kumbari my source of noise wasn't a wiring issue "sound" it sounded like white noise in the signal. Not a hum pike a grounding problem.

Anyways can't wait for my replacement. Want this bad boy following my tb12
Old 26th March 2014
Gear Nut

Replacement unit in. Did some vocal tracking this week. This thing is f*cking BEAST. loving it! None of my software 1176's come close to how great this unit is.

Great product Bryce!
Old 3rd April 2014
Gear Maniac

Great posts guys. Definitely selling me on the wa76. I was already impressed.
Old 3rd April 2014
Lives for gear
So it sounds like it turned out to indeed be a bad unit?
Old 17th April 2014
Lives for gear

yeah, the op is happy now. My two Wa76 are great and i have one Urei rev G and one Purple mc77

great !!!
Old 30th April 2014
Lives for gear

If it helps you guys, same thing on
my UA 1176. You are looking for it trust me. Its normal

Speak of the devil. My Wa76 just arrived lol I'll let you know in a little bit about the hiss
Old 25th June 2014
Gear Addict

Just wanted to chime in about this also, I too have noticed a pretty dreadful sizzling hiss (kind of like frying a bacon or something haha) with my WA76 that I just recently got. Happens when input is around 1 o'clock and output at 11 o'clock. At this rate the hissing is extremely noticeable on mixes, especially when there's no signal running into the compressor the noise just climbs up.

Perhaps because I haven't "broken them in" yet. I've only had it for a few hours. Will post some samples tomorrow, perhaps I'll run some signal through it the whole day tomorrow.

With that being said, it's an awesome compressor. I've been playing around with combinations of compressor chains for rap vocals and I find that the WA76 -> Pro VLA II works wonders. Haven't tried them on tracking yet, perhaps I will some time this week.
Old 25th June 2014
Gear Addict

I forgot to also add that I have an original DBX 166 that is perhaps 20+ years old, and on it's highest output, it is still significantly quieter than the WA76. Then again I'm really just comparing apples to oranges now..
Old 25th June 2014
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ave Crux View Post
Just wanted to chime in about this also, I too have noticed a pretty dreadful sizzling hiss (kind of like frying a bacon or something haha) with my WA76 that I just recently got. Happens when input is around 1 o'clock and output at 11 o'clock. At this rate the hissing is extremely noticeable on mixes, especially when there's no signal running into the compressor the noise just climbs up.
Just wanted to point out that those are very extreme settings. Any 1176 will hiss when set this way. They aren't designed for that. Same as the all buttons in mode, it works but the result will be just what your after, nastiness.
Old 25th June 2014
Gear Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by cowboycoalminer View Post
Just wanted to point out that those are very extreme settings. Any 1176 will hiss when set this way. They aren't designed for that. Same as the all buttons in mode, it works but the result will be just what your after, nastiness.
Really? What would be the ideal setting for the I/O? I looked at that clip Bryce posted and my I/O is pretty much the same. Should I put a gain plugin before this and jack the level up? My incoming signal from my DAW to the WA76 is peaking around -12dbfs, or is that too low?

Also it just made me wonder since the OP said he got a replacement and everything turned out well afterwards.

Sorry, always only used an 1176 ITB and I was used to cranking it up heh
Old 25th June 2014
Lives for gear

We'll traditional level posisitions on a 76 is probably 10 and 2 with attack and release about the same. My levels have always been less than that opting to increase the gain on the pre so my knobs usually land around 9 and 1 or less. This keeps the noise floor very low.

If your converter is set to line (-18) that should be plenty depending on how hot it was tracked. I'd say just play with your gain staging to the comp instead of trying to make up gain with it. You'll get a better result this way.
Old 25th June 2014
I also have this issue.
Old 25th June 2014
Gear Guru

.....and so the spreading of the 1176 design to plentiful new users who have never used one before starts to show an unexpected side effect ........
Old 25th June 2014
Gear Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by cowboycoalminer View Post
We'll traditional level posisitions on a 76 is probably 10 and 2 with attack and release about the same. My levels have always been less than that opting to increase the gain on the pre so my knobs usually land around 9 and 1 or less. This keeps the noise floor very low.

If your converter is set to line (-18) that should be plenty depending on how hot it was tracked. I'd say just play with your gain staging to the comp instead of trying to make up gain with it. You'll get a better result this way.
Ah, okay. Makes sense. I'll play around with it again tonight and see if I can get it to behave how I wanted it to.

Although to the OP, I'm still particularly interested with your results within getting that other replacement.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Karloff70 View Post
.....and so the spreading of the 1176 design to plentiful new users who have never used one before starts to show an unexpected side effect ........
If you think it's gotten any better wait for a WA-2A...
Old 25th June 2014
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Karloff70 View Post
Yep. Welcome to the analog world fellas. A little noise is part of the charm and desired effect,
Old 25th June 2014
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ave Crux View Post

Perhaps because I haven't "broken them in" yet. I've only had it for a few hours. Will post some samples tomorrow, perhaps I'll run some signal through it the whole day tomorrow.

With that being said, it's an awesome compressor. I've been playing around with combinations of compressor chains for rap vocals and I find that the WA76 -> Pro VLA II works wonders. Haven't tried them on tracking yet, perhaps I will some time this week.
Is the -23 db switch engaged?
Mine have never exhibited this sound eveb whrn squashing heavily!!
Topic:

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search