The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
WA76 hiss? Dynamics Processors (HW)
Old 25th June 2014
  #31
Gear Guru
 
Karloff70's Avatar
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by cowboycoalminer View Post
Yep. Welcome to the analog world fellas. A little noise is part of the charm and desired effect,
Free glue, innit.
Old 25th June 2014
  #32
Gear Addict
 
Ave Crux's Avatar
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by henge View Post
Is the -23 db switch engaged?
Mine have never exhibited this sound eveb whrn squashing heavily!!
To the best of my knowledge I believe that it wasn't engaged (that is, that the button at the back of unit is not pressed down) but I will check again later tonight when I get home and will report back on with experimenting a little bit more. Thanks.

..and that is exactly what I tried to do originally, I wanted to see how it handles with compressing extremely hard, although I can't even get the needle to hit 20 even when cranking the input and I'm just getting a ton of hiss even with about 7 db of GR.
Old 25th June 2014
  #33
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ave Crux View Post
To the best of my knowledge I believe that it wasn't engaged (that is, that the button at the back of unit is not pressed down) but I will check again later tonight when I get home and will report back on with experimenting a little bit more. Thanks.
The switch is supposed to be in the down position for normal use!
Old 25th June 2014
  #34
Gear Addict
 
Ave Crux's Avatar
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by henge View Post
The switch is supposed to be in the down position for normal use!
Yikes! Did you mean this for just tracking or during mixing also?
Old 25th June 2014
  #35
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ave Crux View Post
Yikes! Did you mean this for just tracking or during mixing also?
Both.
Old 25th June 2014
  #36
Gear Addict
 
Ave Crux's Avatar
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by henge View Post
Both.
Thanks, will give this a shot along with raising incoming signal with a gain plugin (without pad), and also with pad and with the plugin... I'll report all results back tonight.
Old 26th June 2014
  #37
Gear Addict
 
Ave Crux's Avatar
 

WA76 Audio Files

Okay, so I gave it a run tonight, and found that the best way to use it with minimal noise would be

- Boost incoming signal to WA76 with gain plugin/external preamp
- Then also having the pad switch engaged at the back of the unit

DEAR GOD! I thought it sounded great already before this, then now it just sounds freaking amazing.

Now, while the WA76 sounds great on its own, for one of my songs, this is the first time I've slapped it on, so it's in conjunction with another compressor. Perhaps I'll post some more examples with WA76 on its own on certain sources/vocals.

Here are some audio clips that I used in conjunction with my VLA II. I tried to recreate the same style/sound with my typical compression settings ITB for punchy transients on rap vocals NI VC2A -> Softube CL1B (med. atk/rel)

With WA76 (slowest attack/fastest release) -> Pro VLA II (going in one channel to the other!)

Some crazy stuff. Here's a pic of the settings, and I attached some audio files to this post.



I hope all of you guys that got the WA76 enjoy it as much as I do. Thanks for everybody pointing out some stuff for me!
Attached Files

Vocal Sample (NO COMPRESSION).mp3 (1.18 MB, 1729 views)

Vocal Sample (ITB).mp3 (1.18 MB, 1702 views)

Vocal Sample (WA76 to VLA II).mp3 (1.18 MB, 1783 views)

Old 26th June 2014
  #38
Lives for gear
 
SoundEng1's Avatar
Loving it here too!

WA76 hiss?-image_3448.jpg
Old 26th June 2014
  #39
Gear Guru
 
Karloff70's Avatar
 

A couple of bits of gainstaging 101 that might be of use for someone:

Always turn the gain you need up at the first opportunity and then just keep it there through the chain. That means get the preamp to make the level you need to see on the end of the chain right there in the beginning.

Another thing that helps is when setting up a chain with a comp in it, set it without the comp in it first. So you basically have preamp to DAW straight and make it a good level in (like somewhere -18 to -10 dBFs depending on signal). THEN patch in the comp and re-find your previous level while getting the compression amount you want. Now your comp isn't so hissy and you have happy signals.
Old 26th June 2014
  #40
Lives for gear
 
cowboycoalminer's Avatar
^^^^^
Old 26th June 2014
  #41
Quote:
Originally Posted by Karloff70 View Post
A couple of bits of gainstaging 101 that might be of use for someone:

Always turn the gain you need up at the first opportunity and then just keep it there through the chain. That means get the preamp to make the level you need to see on the end of the chain right there in the beginning.

Another thing that helps is when setting up a chain with a comp in it, set it without the comp in it first. So you basically have preamp to DAW straight and make it a good level in (like somewhere -18 to -10 dBFs depending on signal). THEN patch in the comp and re-find your previous level while getting the compression amount you want. Now your comp isn't so hissy and you have happy signals.
All the world's a gain stage baby...
Old 26th June 2014
  #42
Gear Guru
 
Karloff70's Avatar
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by henge View Post
All the world's a gain stage baby...
...and every gain stage is a tone control, baby.....(or at least in the out of the box world...)
Old 26th June 2014
  #43
I was unaware of the pad button on the back of the unit. I will have to check that
Old 26th June 2014
  #44
Quote:
Originally Posted by Karloff70 View Post
...and every gain stage is a tone control, baby.....(or at least in the out of the box world...)
Nice!
Old 4th September 2014
  #45
Gear Head
 
jtvrdy's Avatar
 

Which is the normal noise floor ?
Old 4th September 2014
  #46
Lives for gear
 
skillz335's Avatar
wow forgot about this thread. Gotta say warm audio is my favorite gear. Thanks to all involved in making these great products. Now only if they can talked into an eq!!!!
Old 22nd September 2014
  #47
Gear Addict
 

I had the same hissing problem at first. After reading this thread it turned out I was the problem. The pad has to be in the down position. I compared it to the waves 76 and the cubase vintage compressor, its a different animal.
Old 22nd September 2014
  #48
Gear Addict
 
Ave Crux's Avatar
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by henge View Post
The switch is supposed to be in the down position for normal use!
Okay so I re-read this thread again to make sure that I'm doing this correctly.
I realize that the first batch of WA76's have a different pad switch on the back.

The original ones have a "flickable" engage/disengage switch (I think off would be down and on is up?)

And the one I have is a button that when it's pushed in (down) engages the pad, and pushed out is disengaging the pad.

I also emailed Bryce, and he suggested that the pad should be off for normal use.

So what's the verdict here? Should it really be on or off?

I thought that (theoretically) if the pad was on, you can drive the input harder to get more of the transformer coloration, right?
It does seem that when I level match the compressor settings when the pad is on or off, it's quieter and have less noise when it's on.
Old 22nd September 2014
  #49
Lives for gear
 
skillz335's Avatar
keep in mind these bad boys have cinimag transformers so they can take and output massive amounts of level.
Old 2nd November 2015
  #50
Here for the gear
 

I too am finding the WA76 to be quite noisy, even with the input gain all the way down and the output gain 1/4 of the way up there is a fair amount of hiss (not objectionable but certainly noticeable.) I am interested to know if anyone could do a mod on this unit to rectify this issue?
Old 5th November 2015
  #51
Gear Guru
 
Karloff70's Avatar
 

Talking of mods, has anyone done a transformer swap on one of these yet?

I hold in my hand a UTC ouncer for authentic input and could muster a nice old Stancor for output.....might one day buy one of these to try the transplant and see how 'classic' he ends up, tone wise.......I mean, all discrete and running on 24v all else should be good me thinks......as it stands the tone is the weakest part to me, albeit the ballistics are pure 1176 goodness.
Old 7th November 2015
  #52
Gear Addict
 
WarmAudio's Avatar
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by AaronPaulReeves View Post
I too am finding the WA76 to be quite noisy, even with the input gain all the way down and the output gain 1/4 of the way up there is a fair amount of hiss (not objectionable but certainly noticeable.) I am interested to know if anyone could do a mod on this unit to rectify this issue?
Give us a hollar at [email protected] so we can help. As seen in this video the units are quiet when operated/operating correctly: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2xHm...7yDoF-7iSb_9cm
Old 26th June 2016
  #53
Here for the gear
I've just bought a WA76 on June 2016. And I found that I have the same issue as you @ride_the_system. Just tried Mic-> PreAmp -> WA76 -> line input and Mic->mic input (WA76 send/return). Output can pass 2 o'clock. But I bought it in Vietnam, so I don't think I can return and replace with another
Old 26th June 2016
  #54
Gear Nut
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by gnolnos View Post
I've just bought a WA76 on June 2016. And I found that I have the same issue as you @ride_the_system. Just tried Mic-> PreAmp -> WA76 -> line input and Mic->mic input (WA76 send/return). Output can pass 2 o'clock. But I bought it in Vietnam, so I don't think I can return and replace with another
What's the unit number? Is your output knob stepped, or free flow?

I had one of the older models, which Bryce explained, had a higher noise floor. He asked me to add 1 resistor in parallel to one of the paths in the unit and it fixed my issue. I've been extremely happy with my wa76 ever since!

Keep in mind that this type of analog circuitry will always produce *some* noise. It's analog
Old 26th June 2016
  #55
Gear Addict
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by ride_the_system View Post
What's the unit number? Is your output knob stepped, or free flow?

I had one of the older models, which Bryce explained, had a higher noise floor. He asked me to add 1 resistor in parallel to one of the paths in the unit and it fixed my issue. I've been extremely happy with my wa76 ever since!

Keep in mind that this type of analog circuitry will always produce *some* noise. It's analog
I did the same exact thing, it helped.
Old 30th June 2017
  #56
Here for the gear
Quote:
Originally Posted by ride_the_system View Post
What's the unit number? Is your output knob stepped, or free flow?

I had one of the older models, which Bryce explained, had a higher noise floor. He asked me to add 1 resistor in parallel to one of the paths in the unit and it fixed my issue. I've been extremely happy with my wa76 ever since!

Keep in mind that this type of analog circuitry will always produce *some* noise. It's analog
Is Unit number you mean serial number? It's WA76: 05602. My output knob stepped. Can you tell me which resistor to add and where to add? Any picture please?
Old 30th June 2017
  #57
Gear Nut
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by gnolnos View Post
Is Unit number you mean serial number? It's WA76: 05602. My output knob stepped. Can you tell me which resistor to add and where to add? Any picture please?
Wow, it's been a year! I wouldn't recommend adding the resistor like I did since you have a stepped output - one of the new models.

You should contact warm audio and ask, mayb send them example files: one without the wa76, and another with the same audio file passing through the unit.

Good luck!
Old 30th June 2017
  #58
Here for the gear
Thanks for reply for a lately post!
Old 30th June 2017
  #59
Lives for gear
 
Hansest's Avatar
 

@WarmAudio Hi Bryce, i got 2 wa76 besides an original Urei revG and an mc77. I´m pretty sure they are from your first or second batch. I would love to add the nose lowering resistor they talk about here...


Where can i get the proper information ?

Thanks
Attached Thumbnails
WA76 hiss?-image1.jpg  
Old 30th June 2017
  #60
Lives for gear
 
Hansest's Avatar
 

btw, whats up with Gearslutz uploading the pictures upside down
Topic:
Post Reply

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.


 
 
Slide to join now Processing…
Thread Tools
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Forum Jump
Forum Jump