The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
What do I need to sample vinyl? Turntables
Old 27th February 2014
Here for the gear

What do I need to sample vinyl?

Help me out guys, what exactly do I need to sample vinyl records? Obviously you need a turntable. My real question is what do I need to connect this to my setup and start sampling. Keep in mind my setup consists of: Maschine MK2, Presnous Audiobox USB, and Presonus Monitor Speakers (I forget exactly what model). I've tried researching and I'm just confused as to what I need, my audiobox does not have line level inputs either.
Old 27th February 2014
GV1
Gear Maniac

I used to use one of these: Buy ION Profile LP USB Turntable online at John Lewis

It's a USB turntable. Others exist. I used to have a Numark one but they were discontinued I believe.

I'm pretty sure you can use the second channel on your box (instrument channel). I believe the 2nd channel is stereo. If you wanted to do it that way, you need to get a turntable, a DJ mixer or an amp, and plug the output from the mixer/amp into your audio card. That's the way I do it now. I use Technics turntables.
Old 27th February 2014
Here for the gear

Okay so basically what I need to do it buy a phono-preamp or mixer and a turntable. Then connect the turntable too audiobox via stereo chord?
Old 27th February 2014
Here for the gear

[QUOTE=Joselli;9894117]Okay so basically what I need to do it buy a phono-preamp or mixer and a turntable. Then connect the preamp/mixer to audio via stereo and turntable to preamp/mixer via line level, would i still need to plug the usb in, and are you able to sample directly into maschine?
Old 27th February 2014
The Audiobox has unbalanced instrument inputs that will work fine with the typical -10dBV unbalanced "consumer" level output from a phono preamp.

There are many turntables made today which have built-in phono preamps, so if you choose the one of those you don't need an external phono preamp at all. The Audio Technica LP60 is such a turntable.

It's also possible to get a turntable with not only a built-in equalized phono preamp preamp (with appropriate line-level analog outputs), but also an A/D converter and a USB or S/PDIF interface. A turntable like the Stanton T92USB can connect directly to your computer as a digital USB input device and record directly to your DAW without using the Audiobox at all.

Don't know if Maschine will recognize it, but if it recognizes your Audiobox, it probably will. A USB turntable looks like a core audio device to the computer.

To connect a turntable/phono pre combo to your Audiobox, just use a pair of RCA to 1/4-inch TS (unbalanced ) cables.
Old 27th February 2014
Here for the gear

May I ask what does unbalanced mean, sorry I am new to this.
Old 27th February 2014
Quote:
Originally Posted by Joselli View Post
May I ask what does unbalanced mean, sorry I am new to this.
Common audio interconnects are either "unbalanced" or "balanced". There are differences in the type of cable used (number of conductors), typical connectors used and the immunity to noise pick up. It's a little too long and complicated to go into details here, but this is a fair article that will explain the differences.

Most consumer audio gear is connected using unbalanced interconnects (the common RCA/RCA cable used everywhere) and most professional audio gear is connected using balanced interconnects (via XLR or TRS cables). In some cases a mixture of both can be used. A stereo phono preamp output on a pair of RCA jacks will be unbalanced. Many interface line-level inputs are balanced, but the Audiobox "instrument" inputs happen to be unbalanced, and are the right sensitivity for a normal phono pre output, so actually are a pretty decent match. The phono pre could also be connected to the balanced inputs of a different interface if desired.
Old 27th February 2014
GV1
Gear Maniac

On the Maschine you should be able to select the turntable as the input device.
Old 27th February 2014
Lives for gear

don't use a usb turntable, they generally sound terrible. and anyone who says "it doesn't matter what turntable you're using if you're only using it for sampling" i would argue the exact opposite, the turntable you use for sampling is MORE important than one for listening unless the sample is an insignificant part of the track.
Old 1st March 2014
Lives for gear

One thing about many USB turntables is you often have to have a recording program open to listen to it. To me, that kind of breaks my vibe because I don't want to think about anything else but listening. May be a minor gripe for some, for me it's a big one.

Basically, you need a turntable, phono preamp, and some sort of A/D converter. The turntable may have all three if USB but some will still have a direct out as well which can be helpful if you want to run it through something before you record. For me, I like to have a regular DJ style turntable, a DJ mixer (has built in phono pre's) and run that to my board, then to my interface. Though it sounds involved, it does make live easy because I have control of everything, plus I often like to EQ my samples before I record. I like to have individual components because if you decide to get a better turntable, you don't have to worry about the phono preamp or interface, you can just replace.

At the end of the day, my only real recommendation is get something with a DJ style head shell so you can easily switch out the cartridge. Many people go buy some old turntable thinking that if it's vintage, it's exactly what they need but they may take a factory replacement needle so you can't upgrade the cartridge. Furthermore, they can be hard to find, online is the only source. If I have issues with my needle, only a 10 minute drive and $10 bucks or so.
Topic:

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search