The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
Recording Vocals with Stems ? Condenser Microphones
Old 26th February 2014
Here for the gear

Recording Vocals with Stems ?

Hey Slutz This is my 1st thread so i should be getting some of yalls help this time free right ? maybe next time we can do paypal lol... Anyways man my question is.. I use to do the whole instrumental recording thing over vocals and i thought to myself.. this sounds like ****.. even i hear professional artists doing it and it just never sounds right. (Hip Hop). But i recently bought some stems and all i need to do is record over them with my vocals. What i don't understand is.. should i lower my stems to sit with my vocals ?. Basically i don't know wtf to do.. so if you can direct me to the right track without a rubber it be greatly appreciated..
Old 26th February 2014
Gear Nut

Huh?
Old 26th February 2014
Gear Maniac

He didn't really articulate it very well but he has been blending vox with 2 trk instrumentals. Now he has stems but doesn't know mixing. Wants to know what to do with the levels on the stems to get a better balance.

OP. The answer is yes. Any additional questions you have should be directed to youtube. Look for something on the basics of mixing. Honestly I think you should just hire an engineer to mix your vox and instrumentals "mixtape" style. There are some cats here who do this type of work.
Old 26th February 2014
Lives for gear
Generally speaking, most "beatmakers" print their tracks WAY TOO DAMN HOT. It is a constant annoyance for us mix engineers. I regularly turn them down, sometimes as much 15dB (or more!). So yes, if the multi-tracks are printed really hot, you should trim them down. What you DON'T want to do is crank your vocal up while recording just so you can hear it over the music. Instead, turn the music down. You, or the mix engineer that you hire will (hopefully) keep the levels conservative and rely on the mastering process to get a loud record. That will give you significantly better overal quality.
Old 26th February 2014
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by chris carter View Post
Generally speaking, most "beatmakers" print their tracks WAY TOO DAMN HOT. It is a constant annoyance for us mix engineers. I regularly turn them down, sometimes as much 15dB (or more!). So yes, if the multi-tracks are printed really hot, you should trim them down. What you DON'T want to do is crank your vocal up while recording just so you can hear it over the music. Instead, turn the music down. You, or the mix engineer that you hire will (hopefully) keep the levels conservative and rely on the mastering process to get a loud record. That will give you significantly better overal quality.
Exactly, just turn everything down. Even when I feel I am leaving a lot of room for a vocalist, often using no compression at all in my instrumental, have to crank my car stereo to the max just to listen to it at a decent volume, it's still too loud during tracking.

When you are working with an instrumental, consider the levels in the session to be somewhat "ambiguous" because it is impossible for the person making the track to know just how loud or quiet you track your vocals. Just turn them down until they are right. When mixing, you may find yourself bringing them back up, even by quite a bit, or bringing the master fader up, depending.
Old 27th February 2014
Here for the gear

I appreciate all y'all foreal thanks i just needed to be sure that i was doing it right. I assumed if you bought stems that it would easy to mix in the vocals since the whole beat aint compressed limited and all that other stuff. But lol he gave me these beats HOT I guess... IDK **** I've been learning this for a good year now and its been a long ride for me buying gear and learning this ****. But ya, i guess there hot because when i just throw the stems in my daw my master fader is set to 0 and its clipping crazy. i brought my level down on the stems, tweaked some snares and other ****, got my vocals to sit on top. Now I'm stuck on idk **** if y'all can just listen to a snippet real quick and tell me how poorly I'm doing it be greatly appreciated. I feel as though maybe I'm trying to be a perfectionist and i just know at the end of the day I'm not going to get that commercial fat sound. if y'all can just listen to it.
My ****ty Gear ( Neumann tlm 102, UA Twinfinity Preamp, Macbook Pro 15 4g RAM i7 2.3 ghz, some HD Monitor Headphones, No Studio Monitors lol. Im getting yamaha hs8s next week don't kill me with the sluttiness.
Attached Files

Snippet Murder.mp3 (1.30 MB, 177 views)

Last edited by Armyvtrn23; 27th February 2014 at 09:10 AM.. Reason: Soundcloud
Old 28th February 2014
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Armyvtrn23 View Post
I appreciate all y'all foreal thanks i just needed to be sure that i was doing it right. I assumed if you bought stems that it would easy to mix in the vocals since the whole beat aint compressed limited and all that other stuff. But lol he gave me these beats HOT I guess... IDK **** I've been learning this for a good year now and its been a long ride for me buying gear and learning this ****. But ya, i guess there hot because when i just throw the stems in my daw my master fader is set to 0 and its clipping crazy. i brought my level down on the stems, tweaked some snares and other ****, got my vocals to sit on top. Now I'm stuck on idk **** if y'all can just listen to a snippet real quick and tell me how poorly I'm doing it be greatly appreciated. I feel as though maybe I'm trying to be a perfectionist and i just know at the end of the day I'm not going to get that commercial fat sound. if y'all can just listen to it.
My ****ty Gear ( Neumann tlm 102, UA Twinfinity Preamp, Macbook Pro 15 4g RAM i7 2.3 ghz, some HD Monitor Headphones, No Studio Monitors lol. Im getting yamaha hs8s next week don't kill me with the sluttiness.
One thing is the drums are super soft. They may be hard to pull up, especially the snare because of the reverb (not sure if you put it on or it came like that). It seems like the drums may be really compressed to.

If that is the case, I would contact the beat maker and ask them to remove all effects and send you another session.
Topic:

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search