The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
Speaker Switch Suggestion Monitor Controllers
Old 14th September 2014
The other outputs only become unbalanced when the 3.5 mm output path is selected. Otherwise they remain properly balanced if the 3.5 mm remains open. If you select the PC speakers alone they will work as if directly connected to the source . They are unbalanced stereo inputs and will remain so unless you use a transformer.

If the PC speaker 3.5 mm output is off and one or more of the 1/4-inch TRS output pairs are selected, they will remain balanced, unless, of course you select the unbalanced 3.5 mm stereo input. It should be workable, as long as you don't select both a balanced monitor output path and the 3.5 mm unbalanced PC speaker path at the same time.

You simply can't drive a single balanced source into both a balanced and an unbalanced load [properly] without using a transformer or an active balancing circuit. If any part of the circuit path is unbalanced, it's all unbalanced. If you know the exact input impedance and capacitive reactance of the unbalanced load it's possible to create a resistor-capacitor network that attempts to create a balancing load on the (-) polarity line, but that's a"messy" way to compensate the system and will only work for a single known load. I would never use that method on a switched device.
Old 14th September 2014
Here for the gear

Ok, got it. THANK YOU for your knowledge and time Lotus!! Very glad you answered.

Off to resolder!
Old 15th September 2014
Here for the gear

In the spirit of resourcefulness, I ended up using the 2 big dpdt switches for the main L/R balanced connection. 1 switch for L and the other for R. In the ON position the signal goes to my monitors. In the OFF position (which is not off, just connects the other terminal) it outputs to the 1/8".
The two small switches I ended up using as the source selector between the main balanced in and the 1/8" stereo. Again, one switch for L and another for R. My objective was to maintain the balanced signal from my interface to my monitors. The 1/8" in and out, don't care for, unbalanced is fine.

Works great. Not pops when switching and I can easily reference my mixes on smaller pc speakers. For my setup, this is works very well. I lost the original 2nd set if 1/4" outputs but it was just a commodity as I don't have a 2nd set of monitors. Whenever I do, I will probably just buy a monitor station.

Will post a photo of the finished product later today.
Old 15th September 2014
A little unconventional, but as long as it works why not!
Switch math: (2) DPDT = (1) 4PDT
Old 16th September 2014
Here for the gear

Yea, I just wanted to make it work and finish it! Maybe next time, if I ever decide to build another.
Attached Thumbnails
Speaker Switch Suggestion-20140915_192713.jpg  
Old 20th January 2017
Here for the gear

I know this is an older post...but I found it extremely helpful. I think I can use Lotus's diagram and cannibalize some passive signal transformers (like 4 Little Imps or go big and gut a couple of Ebtech Line Shifters). This would keep my entire circuit balanced no matter what input/output selections are made. I think I can get all the parts for less than $300. For a 4 in/4out switcher, especially mixing balanced and unbalanced, I can't find ANYTHING like it anywhere near that price point.

Any suggestions on my schematic below? Like I said, I got most of that from Lotus 7...so big props to that dude!
Attached Thumbnails
Speaker Switch Suggestion-cwcarter13-albums-my-stuff-picture13792-studio-channel-monitor-selector.jpg  
Topic:

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search