The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 All  This Thread  Reviews  Gear Database  Gear for sale     Latest  Trending
[What to buy] Akai MPK Mini or Novation Launchkey Mini?
Old 5th November 2013
Here for the gear

[What to buy] Akai MPK Mini or Novation Launchkey Mini?

Hi guys,

I'm a complete beginner but I would like to start producing music on my computer. I've narrowed down my choices for a MIDI controller to:

a) Akai MPK Mini

b) Novation Launchkey Mini

It needs to be small and light as I'll be travelling over the holidays, which is when I intend on learning how to use it. My only consideration is the hardware itself, not the bundled software etc.

Which one would you recommend? I'm happy to listen to any other recommendations at this price point too.

Any help would be greatly appreciated, thanks! :D
Old 5th November 2013
Here for the gear

Nice Keyboards!
I just moved to Japan, so all my stuff is in Norway still. I just bought myself a Korg Microkey. And I'm pretty happy With it. But I'd love the Controllers on the ones you are thinking about.

I think that unless you really need to Connect it to an iPad, i'd go for the Akai MPK Mini. It just seems better, and also it's specified that you only need Power from the USB. It's a pain to have to drag an adapter around. Other than that, they both seem pretty similar.

-Ari
Old 5th November 2013
Here for the gear

Oh. And the AKAI one has a sustain button. That could actually come in handy from time to time. And there is more drumpads on the Novation, but I highly doubt you'll need 16(!) drumpads. But that's somethig you'll decide on.
Old 5th November 2013
Lives for gear

Just tried both 2 weeks ago and was planning to buy the Akai, 'cause I didn't know that the Launchkey Mini exists. I went away with the Novation.
They are quite similar. But the Novation simply looks cool, and like the akai it doesn't need an external Power Plug when used with an iPad. I prefered the keys on the Novation - the Akais are too "flat" for my taste, their way is just to short. But those small keys are always a compromise and the difference isn't huge.

And you don't care but I do really like the Novation-Software (the Bassstation Synth).
What I don't like: the activation for the software doesn't work with Garageband 10), which I installed along with Mavericks just the day after I bought the Novation Launchkey Mini.

Dirk
Old 9th November 2014
WTF
Here for the gear
Quote:
Originally Posted by arimail View Post
Nice Keyboards!
I just moved to Japan, so all my stuff is in Norway still. I just bought myself a Korg Microkey. And I'm pretty happy With it. But I'd love the Controllers on the ones you are thinking about.

I think that unless you really need to Connect it to an iPad, i'd go for the Akai MPK Mini. It just seems better, and also it's specified that you only need Power from the USB. It's a pain to have to drag an adapter around. Other than that, they both seem pretty similar.

-Ari
None of them needs a power adaptor, theyre both usb powered. I would recommend the Novation, cause it just can do more things
Old 9th November 2014
Here for the gear

I had an MPK25 and I'm not gonna lie, I hated it. Had a great feel to the keys but the rotary knobs never stayed assigned in Ableton Live 9 Suite. For me, it was FAR to much hassle setting filter and EQ controls than it was worth.
The Novation on the other hand apparently sorts that with it's automap.

Im short, if you want loads of assignable controls, the Novation will undoubtedly be better with it's automap. If it's mainly just being used for the keys I'd buy the MPK.
Old 10th November 2014
If your using ableton i would go with the launchkey simply due to the functionality you gain. You gain clip control + track navigation natively without having to map extra. Whilist the Akai couldnt have that function without some complex programming. The only reason you would get the mpk imo would be if you are a drummer by default. But honestly finger drumming could be used with the keys / the buttons so imo it is irrelevant especially for what these size controllers purpose are. In addition, check out youtube videos about the native functionality and see what you would prefer before buying.
After looking at both a bit;
IMO the arp and the sustain pedal insert is useless on the Akai as most daws have an arp and idk why someone would want to carry around a sustain pedal in addition when this controller is supposed to be for portability.
Topic:

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search