The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 All  This Thread  Reviews  Gear Database  Gear for sale     Latest  Trending
soundtracs megas with saffire 56 and (maybe) behringer ada8000
Old 23rd October 2013
Here for the gear

analogue mixer to daw connection help

Hi gear slutterz, I am a noob on here looking for quite a bit of info, please help.
I am a blues based guitarist and i have been mixing itb in cubase using a saffire 56 for my interface duties. I have now decided to add some classic warmth via a soundtracs megas studio desk, 32/24. I want to bring as many channels as possible back through the desk for summing and mixdown. I know my s56 has max 10 outputs and i'm thinking to add the behringer ada8000(just for outputs) to add 8 more outs to the desk. Here begins the multitude of questions!
1) do i have to connect world clock as well as adat on the ada8000 for it to work with the s56?
2) do i connect the 56 and ada8000 into the desk via the input xlr's or the tape returns for mixdown?
3) or, shall i bring the 'tape' returns from the ada and the 56 back into the main inputs or straight to the group inserts?
4) The megas comes with the edac cables, where will these connect to?
5) Shall i monitor through the desk or through the 56?
I know this is a lot to ask of you all but any shred of advice on any of it would be greatly appreciated. look forward to hearing from you.

Last edited by stent; 23rd October 2013 at 03:53 AM.. Reason: title wrong
Old 24th October 2013
Gear Nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by stent View Post
Hi gear slutterz, I am a noob on here looking for quite a bit of info, please help.
I am a blues based guitarist and i have been mixing itb in cubase using a saffire 56 for my interface duties. I have now decided to add some classic warmth via a soundtracs megas studio desk, 32/24. I want to bring as many channels as possible back through the desk for summing and mixdown. I know my s56 has max 10 outputs and i'm thinking to add the behringer ada8000(just for outputs) to add 8 more outs to the desk. Here begins the multitude of questions!
1) do i have to connect world clock as well as adat on the ada8000 for it to work with the s56?
2) do i connect the 56 and ada8000 into the desk via the input xlr's or the tape returns for mixdown?
3) or, shall i bring the 'tape' returns from the ada and the 56 back into the main inputs or straight to the group inserts?
I know this is a lot to ask of you all but any shred of advice on any of it would be greatly appreciated. look forward to hearing from you.

The Megas is a nice split format desk - I've got one - possibly the same format as yours (32:24:2) ?

Long-throw faders, nice EQ, nice sounding mic pre's as well, muting scenes etc... Some people complain it's a bit noisy, but I haven't found that to be a problem with mine. In fact the only problem with it is it's sheer size. I wish I'd bought a Topaz or Solo instead...

Anyway...

(1) I don't think so. The ADA8000 should lock to the clock embedded in the ADAT bitstream. You need to check the switch on the back of the ADA8000

(2) up to you, but the XLR's are mic ins and you're prolly sending line level, so you'd want to connect to the 1/4" balanced line in jacks or you may clip the mic inputs.

I suppose the "normal" method is to cable your "24 track recorder" (DAW as it is now) to the tape sends and returns on the group strips (red faders). That's how I used mine - SSL alphalink wired to the tape sends/returns. Worked beautifully, and you use the group assign buttons on each channel strip to assign that channel to any required groups (aka "tape track").

However, the groups only have 2 band EQ on them, so many people like to do their mixdown by routing the tape sends through the conventional channels (via the line ins) so they can access the better EQ and more auxes. This is a personal workflow choice.

Now...I'll have to check the following in the service manual... but iirc the MEGAS has some internal wiring (a loom of yellow unbalanced cables running to each channel from the groups) which is a feed FROM the groups TO the channels. This supplies the first 24 channels with the tape return signal as supplied to the socket on the back of the group strips.

So if you select "line" input with nothing plugged into the line in socket, you'll get the tape return on your channel strip. No repatching required Plugging a jack into the channel line-in disconnects this feed via the switch contacts in the jack socket.

...but....I'll have to check this in the manual. I've not used my desk for ages and I can't remember....!

(3) see above.

(4) EDACS - hmm.... does your MEGAS have the patchbay on the RHS ? Not sure, would have to see round the back. Mine doesn't have the patchbay. Everything is on the rear panel.

(5) Again, personal choice, but if you're mixing down via the MEGAS, it would make sense to monitor via the MEGAS, rather than a digitally derived monitor mix from earlier in the chain. Also, unless I misunderstood what you're saying, your digitally derived monitor mix from your converters won't reflect any fader / EQ / aux / FX changes you make on the desk while mixing down ?

Anyway, hope this helps ?

Good luck !

jon.
Old 25th October 2013
Here for the gear

Hi Jon, Thanks for the reply.
Quote:
The Megas is a nice split format desk - I've got one - possibly the same format as yours (32:24:2) ?
Yeah, it's the 32/24 with the patch bay though and the wiring is very different. It hasn't arrived yet and I think that all but the xlr ins are through the edacs. Does that sound plausible?

Quote:
Some people complain it's a bit noisy,
Yeah I heard this too, Mine is coming with the blue dog power supply upgrade which apparently helps with noise and adds headroom on the pre's, Do you have any experience with these?

my new thinking is to wire my daw outs, 16 in total (8from s56,8from ada), into the main channels 1-16. Then use the two remaining outputs from the s56 as monitor feeds to monitor through the desk. Then I will take the stereo master back into the s56 for final 2 track mix.
Quote:
I've not used my desk for ages and I can't remember....!
What are you using now?
Thanks again for the reply, it really did help a lot. Great to hear from another owner.
All the best.
Old 25th October 2013
RiF
Lives for gear

Hey stent, I have a very similar setup:
M-Audio Profire 2626 + 2x Behringer ADA8000 into Soundtracs Megas Studio 32-16-2.
Like Rolandic said, it's a very nice (but pretty heavy and rather big) desk, great preamps, fantastic EQs, great feature set. I measured a noise floor of about -72 dB, which is not ultra silent, but haven't been any problem for me so far.
You still get support by TheSoundtracsGuy (see Facebook, which I am not on) or Tim at studiosystems.co.uk. TheSoundtracsGuy revived my dead master channel and inplace-solo-path via email by correctly suggesting to replace two $1 IC's. Genius!

But to your questions...
Quote:
No. You just have to connect BOTH ADAT in and outs, because only one of them (the input) carries the clock to the ADA8000. Set the Saffire to be the clock master and set the ADA8000 to slave.
That's what I am doing with my Profire and the 2 ADA8000's without any problems.

Quote:
Quote:
my new thinking is to wire my daw outs, 16 in total (8from s56,8from ada), into the main channels 1-16.
For mixing (as opposed to recording), I am running all my outputs into the line inputs (TRS inputs, not the XLR mic inputs) of the first 24 channels of the board. I am using the group (tape returns) channels as groups.
For a typical multitrack recording session (which I don't do usually), I might use the tape returns instead.

I have to check that routing from the groups to the channels that Rolandic suggested though. Never heard of it and never tried it, but will!

Quote:
See above.

Quote:
Mine does not have a patchbay, so I don't know. To be honest, I even don't know what an edac cable actually is.

Quote:
Quote:
Then use the two remaining outputs from the s56 as monitor feeds to monitor through the desk.
No matter what setup, I am always monitoring through the desk. I have my monitor speakers connected to the monitor outputs of the Megas. Two channels of my Profire go into the 2TRK-TAPE input, so I can toggle between the 2 channel output from my DAW and a full mix from the board by pressing a single button on the master strip.
The added benefit is, that the TAPE path does not go through the master insert where I have my buss compressor inserted. If I'd use spare channels, they would go through this insert as well and I'd have to bypass the compressor every time I want to just hear a clean signal from my DAW.

Quote:
Then I will take the stereo master back into the s56 for final 2 track mix.
Yep, the stereo master output goes back into 2 inputs of my Profire.
Old 25th October 2013
Here for the gear

Hi RiF, thanks for your input.
Quote:
No. You just have to connect BOTH ADAT in and outs, because only one of them (the input) carries the clock to the ADA8000. Set the Saffire to be the clock master and set the ADA8000 to slave.
OK, so if I have this right, even though I am using just the audio outputs on the ADA8000, I connect the adat input also just for clock messages as it's just the input that carries clock info?
Quote:
it's a very nice (but pretty heavy and rather big) desk
Yeah, I kinda like this about it!
Quote:
Mine does not have a patchbay, so I don't know. To be honest, I even don't know what an edac cable actually is.
Well, from what I can gather, the patchbay models don't have the regular physical ins and outs on the back. The edacs are groups of cables (i.e.multitrack 1-8,9-16etc. Line inputs, masters A and B and so on.) that have an edac connector on the back of the board and (i'm guessing) trs connectors at the destination. On the patchbay models the insert point returns are balanced. I assume so the patchbay can keep balanced connections throughout.
Quote:
No matter what setup, I am always monitoring through the desk. I have my monitor speakers connected to the monitor outputs of the Megas. Two channels of my Profire go into the 2TRK-TAPE input, so I can toggle between the 2 channel output from my DAW and a full mix from the board by pressing a single button on the master strip.
I like this! being able to flip between the two is something i hadn't even considered. That's a very nice touch.

Thank you for even more useful info RiF, think I am beginning to get my head around this!
FWIW I am getting the desk through Tim at Studiosytems.
All the best.
Old 25th October 2013
RiF
Lives for gear

The size is nice (bigger is better ;-)), but the weight... Mine is about 65 kilograms already and it is maybe half as big as yours!

Yes, the second ADAT cable (connected to the ADA's input) is just for getting the clock from the Saffire into the ADA8000.
I found a quote from Behringer's Al Walker (and notice that auto-mute bug on some ADA8000's, depending on the date the unit is built. It's safe before 12/2009 and from 2012 and later, so avoid units with a date-code from 2010 and 2011 printed on the back !!!):
Quote:
Originally Posted by Al Walker View Post
Dear All,

My name is Al Walker and I have been working for MIDAS and now MUSIC Group for over 17 years with direct involvement in our product development during this time.

Regarding the questions about the auto-mute circuit, we implemented a design change in the ADA8000 around two years ago to remove the auto-mute on the outputs which was producing the slow ramping effect reported here. This design change, which involved the addition of a microcontroller, was carried forward and implemented on ADA8200. For information, the auto-mute function is part of the Cirrus CS4270 combined ADC/DAC converter IC that is used in both later ADA8000 and now also ADA8200 and has nothing to do with the Wavefront ADAT Decoder or Encoder ICs. The design change acts on all the output channels, disabling the auto-mute on each CS4270, so none of the outputs will show the slow ramping reported here by forum members.

With regard to the experiences reported by forum members with connecting an ADA8000 via ADAT to audio interfaces, the correct set-up is as described; the ADA8000/ADA8200 Sync should be set to ADAT IN and the clock source provided from the audio interface's ADAT output to the ADAT input of the ADA8000/ADA8200. The ADAT Out from the ADA8000/ADA8200 should be connected to the ADAT input of the audio interface.

Kind regards,

Al Walker
Senior Engineer, Systems
MUSIC Group
Source thread: Behringer ADA8000 -still has has auto mute or not?

And if your integrated patchbay provides balanced inserts, that would be great. Mine does only have unbalanced inserts, which I don't like too much. I come around this by having a Patchbay inbetween my converter outputs and the Megas' inputs for balanced channel inserts, but this does not work for the master bus or the groups, unfortunately.

All the best with your Megas. You will not regret it for sure, it's a great console. I love mine and pray every day that it will not break, because I have no idea how to replace it with what's on the market today.
And if you got it from Tim, you can be sure it's in a good technical shape.
Old 25th October 2013
Here for the gear

Quote:
Source thread: Behringer ADA8000 -still has has auto mute or not?
Thanks for sending this, very interesting read. So just need to make sure I get a recent one.
RiF, you are a star for passing on all this info, Can't wait to get it all rigged up.
All the best with yours!
Old 25th October 2013
RiF
Lives for gear

I am very happy to be of help. Do me a favor and report back here how your baby is going!
Old 25th October 2013
Gear Nut

Nice to meet some fellow Soundtracs users

Stent, in answer to your question, I'm now ITB unfortunately. I've moved house, and the Megas is in a storage lockup :(. I was toying with the idea of making a "mini-megas" by taking the master module and 8 or so channels and wiring them together. I may yet do that

Quote:
I have to check that routing from the groups to the channels that Rolandic suggested though. Never heard of it and never tried it, but will!
Yes, Tim told me what the wires were after I took all the modules out so I could move it on my own. Not doing that again in a hurry. I should point out I have never used it, because my channels were all permanently wired, and I would have had to disconnect all my line-in's to make it work.

But do check with Tim, or try lifting out the first 2 or 3 channels and look for a yellow (and blue?) pair of wires on a small connector near the back of the channel strip. You may also be able to see it if you get the master section up.

Quote:
Yeah, it's the 32/24 with the patch bay though and the wiring is very different. It hasn't arrived yet and I think that all but the xlr ins are through the edacs. Does that sound plausible?
I'll try and scan the patchbay pages from my copy of the manual over the weekend, but hopefully Tim will give you a copy as well. It looks like you'll have 12 EDACS, basically as follows:

1: Multitrack 1-8 (all balanced tape sends / returns)
2: Multitrack 9-16 (ditto)
3: Multitrack 17-24 (ditto)
4: Masters A (just the two track A & B sends and returns)
5: Masters B (control room sends and auxes 1-6)
6: Line inputs for channels 25-40
7: Tie lines 1-16
8: Tie lines 17-32
9: Tie lines 33-48
10: Tie lines 49-64
11: Tie lines 65-80
12: Tie lines 81-96

All the channels should be conventional, i.e. XLR mic in, TRS line in, TRS line out, and insert, all on the back of the channel strip itself.

Quote:
And if your integrated patchbay provides balanced inserts, that would be great. Mine does only have unbalanced inserts, which I don't like too much. I come around this by having a Patchbay inbetween my converter outputs and the Megas' inputs for balanced channel inserts, but this does not work for the master bus or the groups, unfortunately.
Yes, the non-PB versions of the Megas only use 1/4" TRS inserts, so every insert is unbalanced. I mean, how much cost would it have added to a £12,000 desk (when it was new) to make some more inserts balanced ?

Oh well - I don't mind. The Megas had "mojo", and I kinda like it

Cheers,

Jon.
Old 26th October 2013
Gear Nut

Found the email from Tim explaining the stuff mentioned above. His reply in italics

"I'm now reassembling it....but I've noticed that there is a loom at the rear
of the chassis, which is a bunch of blue/yellow wires that connect to CON6
on each channel strip. However, there are 32 channels, and the loom only
has 24 connectors ?"

"these will be the 24 Tape returns , , IS IT A PATCH BAY VERSION ??
THESE APPEAR ON THE monitor in AND THE <line IN SIMUltaENEOUSly
UNLESS SOMETHING IS PLUGGED INTO THE line in"

See attached pic for where the connector is on the channel strip.
Attached Thumbnails
soundtracs megas with saffire 56 and (maybe) behringer ada8000-megas-strip-con6.jpg  
Old 26th October 2013
Here for the gear

Quote:
Nice to meet some fellow Soundtracs users
And Megas users to boot! Unexpectedly, this thread has bought some fellow users to the same place, got to be happy about that.
Quote:
I've moved house, and the Megas is in a storage lockup
Man, that's such a shame. At least you still have it. keep us updated with what you decide to do. 'mini-megas' lol. i guess megas comes from the greek for big - megalo, therefore your new megas would be a Mikri!
Quote:
All the channels should be conventional, i.e. XLR mic in, TRS line in, TRS line out, and insert, all on the back of the channel strip itself.
phew! I was already planning workarounds! I must admit these edacs are a bit of a melon popper. So, they serve the patchbay only? excuse my naivety, are they female xlrs at destination? ...and you patch the edacs into various ins and outs on the desk which 'activates' the patchbay? can't get my head around the whole edac system. Anyone have any simple explanations? Maybe this is a question for Tim @studiosystems but I am reluctant to bother the genius at work.
Quote:
Yes, the non-PB versions of the Megas only use 1/4" TRS inserts, so every insert is unbalanced. I mean, how much cost would it have added to a £12,000 desk (when it was new) to make some more inserts balanced ?
Yeah, this is a strange one, I can understand with the patchbay models that the whole patchbay has to be balanced with the bantam cables.
Seeing as we are all here in one spot, what are you all using(or were using) your Megas' for? As far as I know they are sought after for Reggae and Dub, But what are you using them for?
Thanks Rolandic for all that info, especially the edac connections.
All the best to all.
Old 26th October 2013
Gear Nut

Quote:
I must admit these edacs are a bit of a melon popper. So, they serve the patchbay only? excuse my naivety, are they female xlrs at destination? ...and you patch the edacs into various ins and outs on the desk which 'activates' the patchbay? can't get my head around the whole edac system. Anyone have any simple explanations?
I'll try ...

The EDACS are a sort of snake - multi-way wiring loom - and don't carry any channel signals at all, as far as I can tell. They only carry the stuff you'd probably hard-wire anyway, your aux sends to a remote patch panel, your control room outputs to your monitor amps, the tape sends and returns (normally hard wired to a 24 track or DAW or whatever).

If Tim is supplying the EDAC looms with the desk, then you need to find out what's on the end of those looms. It might be 1/4" TRS, or XLR, or even bare wires. Then you'll know what you need to terminate them with etc...

I have heard it said that the wiring can account for 50% or more of the cost of a studio. After setting mine up, and dismantling it twice for house moves, I can believe that !

As far as the PB is concerned, the brochure says:

"this comprehensive TT patchbay provides access to the channel line inputs and outputs, channel insert sends and returns, group outputs, group insert sends and returns, (group) monitor inputs, plus (group?) tape sends and returns.

In addition, the LR mix, monitors A+B, six auxes, LR insert send/return, 2-track sends + returns, eight parallels (whatever they are?), and up to 96 tie lines are accessible.

Space has been left unallocated on the PB for the addition of up to 16 stereo input strips. Microphone inputs remain on XLR connections located on the rear modules of the individual channels. All other connections are via 12 56-way connectors on the rear of the patchbay (these are the EDACS)."

I suspect the patchbay is "normalled", i.e. without any wires plugged in to any PB TT sockets, the signal flow will be uninterrupted, rather like an insert. I know it says "all other connections", but unless Soundtracs made different channel strips for the PB models, without the line in/out and insert jacks on the back panel (highly unlikely!) then the channel strips should be conventional.

Quote:
Thanks Rolandic for all that info, especially the edac connections.
All the best to all.
You're welcome - but do drop Tim a line, he's the Soundtracs-meister, so he should be able to answer more definitively .

I'll scan what I've got about the PB and stick it onto this thread anyway, Probably later today.

Cheers,

Jon.
Old 26th October 2013
Gear Nut

Right - scanned from my copy of the instruction / service manual, four pages relating to the EDACS.

Hope this helps

Jon.
Attached Files
File Type: pdf megas pb details.pdf (1.75 MB, 236 views)
Old 26th October 2013
Here for the gear

Quote:
Right - scanned from my copy of the instruction / service manual, four pages relating to the EDACS.
Well done Jon!! this is great, thank you for taking the time to do this. I appreciate it.
I emailed Tim, he said "well they are usually jacks ,XLRS but I can make a few changes,
tell me everything you need to connect to the DESK (and type of connector )
and I can see what can be done"
What a legend!!!! now that's service!
The patchbay is much clearer in my head now thanks to you Jon, Now I will just have the headache of actually wiring it all up! But I can't wait!
Old 27th October 2013
Gear Nut

Quote:
All the best with your Megas. You will not regret it for sure, it's a great console. I love mine and pray every day that it will not break, because I have no idea how to replace it with what's on the market today. And if you got it from Tim, you can be sure it's in a good technical shape.
Rif - don't replace it - It's entirely modular, individual strips can be removed and repaired - a good electronics technician should be able to fix many of the problems. It's TL072 and TL074 op amps in the main, and they're still obtainable. And there's no surface mount stuff at all

Just about the hardest part of these things to debug is the CPU that does the MIDI muting. Mine never worked properly, which was a real shame. It just sent garbage to the MIDI ports.

Soundtracs also made stereo strips for the MEGAS. Very difficult to find but very useful. I was constantly asking Tim if he had any.

Quote:
Originally Posted by RiF View Post
The size is nice (bigger is better ;-)), but the weight... Mine is about 65 kilograms already and it is maybe half as big as yours!
Stent, you realise your desk may be the biggest frame size they made, right ?.

Either 54 (1.8m) or 62 (2.06m) wide, and 95Kg or 108Kg. Plus 5Kg for the PSU.

Can't wait to see it in situ ! Pop some photos up in one of the "new gear" threads.

Quote:
Now I will just have the headache of actually wiring it all up!
Oh yes
Old 27th October 2013
RiF
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rolandic View Post
Rif - don't replace it - It's entirely modular, individual strips can be removed and repaired - a good electronics technician should be able to fix many of the problems. It's TL072 and TL074 op amps in the main, and they're still obtainable. And there's no surface mount stuff at all
I am not an electronics guy, but when I took mine apart to replace two of the IC's, the layout of the PCBs looked very modular, clean and non-proprietary to me, so once something blows up I guess it should be not overly hard to find a replacement. And I have two Source PSU's, so I've got a spare one of those as well to keep me safe.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rolandic View Post
Soundtracs also made stereo strips for the MEGAS. Very difficult to find but very useful. I was constantly asking Tim if he had any.
I have 4 of them in my desk :-).
Old 28th October 2013
Here for the gear

Quote:
Stent, you realise your desk may be the biggest frame size they made, right ?.
Oh yes. According to Tim mine is 1.8m so the 54 unit! :D
Quote:
I have 4 of them in my desk :-).
Wow, that's pretty rare, did they come with it or did you retrofit?
Old 28th October 2013
Here for the gear

Quote:
Pop some photos up in one of the "new gear" threads.
Will do!
Old 28th October 2013
RiF
Lives for gear

Quote:
Oh yes. According to Tim mine is 1.8m so the 54 unit! :D
OK, let's put down the trousers ;-)
Mine is the compact 38U version, is 1.3m wide and has a live weight of 66kg, according to this document from Steve Magalnick - The Soundtracs Guy
http://www.thesoundtracsguy.com/site...egasstudio.pdf
It's exactly the one pictured on the front page of the brochure, except for the last channel modules 25-28, which are stereo on my desk. I'll post a photo of my baby later...

Quote:
Wow, that's pretty rare, did they come with it or did you retrofit?
They were installed when I got the desk some 15+ years ago.

I bought it used at a store for 2250,- Deutschmarks, which converts to pretty much the same in GBP today. Absolute bargain, they must have missed a 0 at the end of something, because technically it could only have been like 5 years old (introduced in 1994, right?). It had been 1/10th of the original new price after 5 years.
It had been used in the local state theatre as a FOH console before, but they got a new desk and wanted to get rid of it.

BTW, you can see my little daughter pulling the master fader cap on my Megas in my avatar picture :-)
Old 28th October 2013
Gear Nut

Quote:
Mine is the compact 38U version, is 1.3m wide and has a live weight of 66kg
You know, that's no bad thing. If I had a smaller frame size it wouldn't be in my storage lockup... :(

Ah well...
Old 29th October 2013
Here for the gear

Quote:
Mine is the compact 38U version, is 1.3m wide and has a live weight of 66kg, according to this document from Steve Magalnick - The Soundtracs Guy
http://www.thesoundtracsguy.com/site...egasstudio.pdf
Yeah, I found this brochure, very useful. That pic on the cover is great. Nice desk. And with the stereo channels aswell, winner! Tim has also forwarded a full manual too, which is cool .
Quote:
I bought it used at a store for 2250,- Deutschmarks, which converts to pretty much the same in GBP today. Absolute bargain, they must have missed a 0 at the end of something, because technically it could only have been like 5 years old (introduced in 1994, right?). It had been 1/10th of the original new price after 5 years.
Wow, that's one hell of a deal! right place, right time. Nice one! would love to see the pics of it. Is your daughter the maintenance engineer?

Quote:
You know, that's no bad thing. If I had a smaller frame size it wouldn't be in my storage lockup... :(

Ah well...
Any more thoughts on what you are gonna do with it?
Old 29th October 2013
Here for the gear

OK.....so I recieve an email from Tim today, he picked up the desk. Turns out it's 40 input 2.08m, 108kg 62 unit behemoth version and not the 32 channel smaller that we both expected! :0
Old 29th October 2013
RiF
Lives for gear

Quote:
OK.....so I recieve an email from Tim today, he picked up the desk. Turns out it's 40 input 2.08m, 108kg 62 unit behemoth version and not the 32 channel smaller that we both expected! :0
Jeeeeesh!!!!
You live ground-floor, hopefully...
Old 29th October 2013
Here for the gear

Quote:
Jeeeeesh!!!!
You live ground-floor, hopefully...
Yes I do! ...... but it's going upstairs.
Old 30th October 2013
Gear Nut

Quote:
OK.....it's 40 input 2.08m, 108kg 62 unit
Quote:
it's going upstairs
Do you have a video camera ?

Quote:
Any more thoughts on what you are gonna do with it?
Not yet...I need to see how ITB works for me. Space is a big issue, I'm having to shrink 3 x 20U synth racks into 1 x 20U rack, so lots of stuff is going (although I had some duplicates).

If I really miss it, I might have to flog it and try and find a smaller alternative. It's not as if I really need 32:24 to mix down, all I need is 24:2. I could probably build a smaller chassis from wood, and mount 24 of the mono strips + master section into it and make a "Mikri"

Actually, that could be a pretty cool project the more I think about it....
Old 30th October 2013
Here for the gear

Quote:
Do you have a video camera ?
Yes I do, but with what hand do you suppose I hold it with!

Quote:
If I really miss it, I might have to flog it and try and find a smaller alternative. It's not as if I really need 32:24 to mix down, all I need is 24:2. I could probably build a smaller chassis from wood, and mount 24 of the mono strips + master section into it and make a "Mikri"
You'll regret flogging it, and won't get the price you want. MAKE THE MIKRI! Do it! Do it! Do it!
Where are you gonna find something you love just as much in the 24:2 format? Either email Tim @studiosystems for some kind of exchange or build from what you already have? I think personally, you already answered your own problem. If you have the skills. Utilise them. Let us know what you do. Best of luck!
Old 31st October 2013
Here for the gear

Hi chaps, I really don't want to sound like I am bragging here, but I thought you'd be interested. Channels 37-40 of my new Megas are stereo channels! What a result. Think my Christmas has come early!!
Old 1st November 2013
Gear Nut

Quote:
Hi chaps, I really don't want to sound like I am bragging here, but I thought you'd be interested. Channels 37-40 of my new Megas are stereo channels! What a result. Think my Christmas has come early!!
Well..... you're a lucky bugger !

Let me know if you want to swap them for mono strips
Old 1st November 2013
Here for the gear

Quote:
Let me know if you want to swap them for mono strips
If I find I don't use them much, you will be the first I contact.
Topic:

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search