The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 All  This Thread  Reviews  Gear Database  Gear for sale     Latest  Trending
What instrument makes this sound in Prince's Sexy M.F.
Old 22nd October 2013
Here for the gear

What instrument makes this sound in Prince's Sexy M.F.

Hi

I was wondering if someone could tell me what instrument(s) makes a certain sound in Prince's hit Sexy M.F. I know it may sound like a musicians question, but because I don't know what instrument made it, I don't know what musicians forum to ask it, plus there might be some studio tricks and effects they employ to make it sound like it does, so I ask it here.

It's a bit hard to explain what sound I'm talking about. The sound is pushed back in the mix, but not completely in the background, and it seems to be the main sound that keeps the music moving, with the staccato hard hitting elements in the foreground. With only the foreground instruments, the song would "stand still", so to speak. The sound starts immediately at the beginning of the song. The sound is floating, for the lack of a better expression it seems to "go straight forward", with very little variation. The sound continues throughout the rap verses, and then when the verse is over, the brass wind instruments play a descending part to prepare for the "punchline" (you sexy m.f.), and when these brass instruments sets in, the sound stops. Then when Prince sings the words "you sexy motherf...", the sound starts again at the second last syllable. The sound is there throughout most of the song.

To me it sounds a bit like a funky guitar, but there is very little attack or variation in amplitude, therefore I was wondering if it might be some other instrument.
Old 22nd October 2013
Gear Nut

It's just Prince's Telecaster, compressed to fark.

It's very consistent so it's probably been sampled or just cut and pasted.
Old 22nd October 2013
Here for the gear

Thanks....
Old 22nd October 2013
Gear Head

It's Levi Seacer Jr on a semi solidbody, prob 335 style. He's a big George Benson fan, so it may even be a deep bodied semi.
Topic:

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search