The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 All  This Thread  Reviews  Gear Database  Gear for sale     Latest  Trending
Mbox Mini 3 to Mbox 3
Old 21st October 2013
Here for the gear

Mbox Mini 3 to Mbox 3

hello,

i'm currently a undergrad student studying music production and recently ran into a bit of extra cash. i've decided i wanted to try and find a suitable audio interface upgrade for my needs but, still need to try and keep the interface under $350.

i'm mainly producing EDM but, would like to start recording vocals/instruments as well as start getting into film scoring in the near future. my current interface is the Mbox Mini 3 and although it was DOA, after the RMA, i haven't had much problems. i've done some research and it seems as though the Mbox 3 and Mbox 3 Pro have the better hardware (i think i read that Mbox 3/Mbox 3 Pro used the same converters, pres and etc? please correct me if i'm wrong) while the Mbox Mini is similar but, not quite there. i also did a little searching on similarly priced Focusrite interfaces but, from the google results i've seen, the Mbox 3 seems to be favored as far as sound quality went.

so, i guess my question is: has anyone compared the sound quality of the 2 units side by side? would you say it's worth it to upgrade from a Mbox Mini 3 to Mbox 3 as of right now?

any suggestions are appreciated, thanks.
Old 22nd October 2013
Gear Addict

Yes, the MBox3 and the Pro have the same converters, but I don't think the jump in quality between the Mini and the 3 is worth the jump. The focusrite Scarlett series has decent pres (better than the Mini IMO) and better conversion. And they're pretty cheap.
Old 23rd October 2013
Here for the gear

thanks for replying

hmm, i already own a focusrite scarlett 2i2 and definitely agree the pres are awesome.

also, i thought Mbox 3's converters were the same as the Apogee Duet's converters as well? if this is true, would you still say it's not worth it to upgrade from the Mini? or would you rather go for something like the Focusrite Saffire series?
Old 23rd October 2013
Gear Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by mr1hm View Post
thanks for replying

hmm, i already own a focusrite scarlett 2i2 and definitely agree the pres are awesome.

also, i thought Mbox 3's converters were the same as the Apogee Duet's converters as well? if this is true, would you still say it's not worth it to upgrade from the Mini? or would you rather go for something like the Focusrite Saffire series?
They're not the same converters. I think they were made by apogee but they're definitely not the same converters. I still think Focusrite is the better option. The Saffire has good converters, but honestly, the converters in the Forte are better. They really stepped up their game for that little thing.

Edit: The pres in the Forte are also better than the duet...and cheaper.
Topic:

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search