The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 All  This Thread  Reviews  Gear Database  Gear for sale     Latest  Trending
The line between amateur and pro
Old 12th November 2013
nog
Gear Nut

From what i've read, Sufjan Stevens uses basic stuff and gets great results IMO, not totally my cuppa tea but.. Btw, yoko's new single sounds pretty fresh! I just wonder if that squashed, auto tuned beat detected stuff is what the kids grew up on and expect. Is it mixed and mastered for ear buds and priuses?
Old 12th November 2013
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by nog View Post
From what i've read, Sufjan Stevens uses basic stuff and gets great results IMO, not totally my cuppa tea but.. Btw, yoko's new single sounds pretty fresh! I just wonder if that squashed, auto tuned beat detected stuff is what the kids grew up on and expect. Is it mixed and mastered for ear buds and priuses?
Surfjan Stevens' album Michigan was recorded not at 96kHz sampling rate, nor 48k, it was recorded at 32 kHz, below CD and MP3 quality. This was by mistake obviously.

It still sounds pro, which is the subject at hand, because the music is good and they knew how to mix it.
Old 12th November 2013
nog
Gear Nut

Wow, 32khz, that's amazing. Yeah, great songs. Tracking not too bad either!
Old 12th November 2013
Back when I was just a musician, one of the best CDs I was ever apart of was tracked on a Roland VS2480 and mixed by a friend with Pirated Cubase over one summer. That's beaten out songs tracked in a high end pro studios and songs tracked and mixed in my home studio with tons of great pres and outboard gear.

The sound quality of the CD was good, but the songs and the vibe the CD had were top notch.

My point is that if the material is good it will shine through.

Great gear is helpful, but it's about the music and the people getting the music to tape, not the gear.
Topic:

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search