The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 All  This Thread  Reviews  Gear Database  Gear for sale     Latest  Trending
Problems with headphone Mixes with the saffire pro 40
Old 21st October 2013
Here for the gear

Problems with headphone Mixes with the saffire pro 40

Hi All,

This is a great forum, I have learned a great deal from this site.
I have a question regarding individual head phone mixes,using the saffire pro 40. i have searched the internet endlessly for a solution and the focusrite team is very little help.

I have to track jazz Quintet: Piano,Bass,Drums,Guitar, & Percussion all at once. Being professional players, they each like to have an individual(separate) headphone mix. I know my saffire pro 40 has 10 mono outputs or 5 stereo outs.

Heres my dilemma.
I am using Sennheiser hd 201 type headphones. I have to crank the gain on each headphone mix just to send a decent level to the musicians .
i have tried greying out the channel boxes to unity gain. However,the musicians still complain they can't hear enough of themselves or each other. I have a behringer power play pro 4 channel headphone amp. I tried connecting the outputs fro my saffire to aux in of my head phone amp and still have the same problem.

I have been told to just send mono mixes to all the musicians. But i don't see how that is possible using stereo headphones. Plus how can you pan a mono mix. Can some one please help me?

Sorry for the long post. I am tring to be as detailed as possible.
Old 21st October 2013
Gear Addict

To have 5 individual headphone mixes, you need 5 separate headphone amplifiers. Or something like powerplay pro-8 with direct ins for every out. Using mono headphone mixes is common, that's what mono button on headphone amp is for. It sends mono signal to both phones. You don't pan it, you just set the proportions to suit musician preferences, and it can be really far from your perfect mix. For example drums player, may wish to listen to bass and guitar player, but don't want a percussionist in his mix, and piano guy, likes to hear drums and guitar, but almost no bass, because it confuses him rhythmically, and he wants tons of himself, while guitarist, takes one headphone off his ear, and doesn't want his guitar at all, because hi listens to his amp standing in front of it.

Sennheisers are rather loud headphones, so maybe you don't send enough of a signal out of your DAW.
Old 22nd October 2013
Here for the gear

Michal,

Thank you so much for taking the time to answer my question. Your explanation helped me understand how this works a lot better. I have another question:
My interface outputs are both balanced and unbalanced jacks. If your sending a mono signal to your headphone amp. Do you need a TS cable? Or will a TRS cable be ok to use as well?
I'll purchase a power play pro 8.
Old 22nd October 2013
Gear Addict

When you use TRS balanced out, you still have mono signal there. It's not stereo jack, it's balanced mono jack. So you need to connect it to balanced mono input of your headphone amp, or you need to unbalance it connecting ring to sleeve (you know TRS means tip, ring, sleeve). Be careful with levels as balanced signals are usually hotter (+4dB) then unbalanced (-10dB).
Topic:

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search