The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 All  This Thread  Reviews  Gear Database  Gear for sale     Latest  Trending
NEWBIE advice please !
Old 20th October 2013
Here for the gear

NEWBIE advice please !

Hi there, i`m completely new to this, have just googled dance music making programs to download as always wanted to play around a bit. My friend did it years ago with cubase. I`m not brilliant with technology, but want to play around a bit to see if it is for me, as always had the desire to make some tracks. Any advice appreciated, what are some good programs that are free to try out and not too complicated to start, but good enough to get me into it. I have no musical background unfortunately!
Old 20th October 2013
Here for the gear

It's been years since I played around with it, but have you tried Fruity Loops? I think there's a trial version you can download.
Old 21st October 2013
so your not a musician? thinking of the years I invested into learning to play classical music and diving into snyths later, one might be tempted to ... nar, someone stop me!

try fruity loops or this: Music-, Video-, Graphic & Photo Software from the market leader - MAGIX or this: AudioSauna - Free Music Software - Make Music Online
have fun!
Old 21st October 2013
Gear Addict

FL studio + Vegeance audio packs + Sylenth 1 as VST (minimum you need). all you need to start.. FL alone is useless and empty.. boring
Old 21st October 2013
Here for the gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by elioti View Post
Hi there, i`m completely new to this, have just googled dance music making programs to download as always wanted to play around a bit. My friend did it years ago with cubase. I`m not brilliant with technology, but want to play around a bit to see if it is for me, as always had the desire to make some tracks. Any advice appreciated, what are some good programs that are free to try out and not too complicated to start, but good enough to get me into it. I have no musical background unfortunately!
For basic learning to make electronic music, FL Studio is great for that
Old 21st October 2013
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arnoud87 View Post
FL studio + Vegeance audio packs + Sylenth 1 as VST (minimum you need). all you need to start.. FL alone is useless and empty.. boring
Yeah but everyone uses these samples, why would he want to sound like everyone else
Go get some Wave Alchemy audio files and they sound better
Old 21st October 2013
Here for the gear

Starting with loops is not a bad idea. I learnt a lot about music putting Apple loops together in Garage Band with a bit of added harmonic movements, trying to make the mix sound right, getting a feel for how the sounds worked together, or if not, then trying to figure out why. I think it's quite educational and easier to get into than starting entirely from scratch.

I have to disagree with Looneytune. When you're starting out, the least of my worries would be sounding like everyone else. You've got a lot of basics to learn before you need start thinking about making your own sound.

After working with loops, I've found it challenging and interesting trying to make arrangements around a melody, preferably having to find the chords myself, too.

There is not just one approach, though. The main thing is doing something you enjoy while learning from it, not trying something too difficult right away, yet always challenging yourself and trying to learn from what you do, good or bad.

I think musicality is inherent in human nature, and there are many ways for it to come out, and one doesn't necessarily need to understand the scientific workings of it to make something that is interesting and part of one's own personal expression.
Old 22nd October 2013
Gear Head

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arnoud87 View Post
What? Not true at all... Sometimes, when I'm bored, I get into Paint.exe and spend big time sensuality clicking little by little. It's about imagination. Anyway, of course, more buttons, more fun.
Old 22nd October 2013
Lives for gear

@Artisticio I hear you just think every man and his dog has and uses those samples.
Apple loops are great even for people like Usher
Agree with you about learning with loops, I started learning with loops. Cooks be problematic though if you continue to rely on them.
I avoid them like a plague now days.
Used to use them quite allot a few years back, but I started to get annoyed with my self and said no I will make my own.
Used to chop them up also, don't even do that anymore.
Chopping loops is great though If this is how you like to work.
Old 22nd October 2013
Lives for gear

how about this?

Dr Drum Beat Making Software - Make Sick Beats - Dubstep, Rap, Hip Hop - YouTube

with this you can make beatz like skrwillex in only mere seconds!
Topic:

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search