The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 All  This Thread  Reviews  Gear Database  Gear for sale     Latest  Trending
Polyphony on a Mono Synth
Old 20th October 2013
Gear Head

Polyphony on a Mono Synth

Hi all, I've been visiting Gearslutz for a year or so, but for once I couldn't find the answer to my question.

Many of you may be familiar with Todd Terje's EP "It's the Arps" in which he uses an ARP 2600 for all the sounds. Seeing as though the 2600 is a mono synth, what's your best guess as to how he recorded some of the chords? (Some of them are 4 note) I'm exploring the option of doing the same for my less-fancy Korg MS-20 mini.

Are there converters, or would it work if one recorded a note and then used a sampler? It seems like you could run into a lot of limitations.
Old 20th October 2013
Multi-track recording?
Old 20th October 2013
Gear Head

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bender412 View Post
Multi-track recording?
so I'd have to record each note separately with MIDI?
Old 21st October 2013
Lives for gear

If you wanted you could write a piece of music using a poly VA synth in the computer in a sequencing DAW.
Once you have all the parts worked out. you can split them to monophonic lines ( unless you record them MIDI as such! ) and port them to the MS20mini one at a time and record them as multitrack audio.
I'm not familiar with that piece you referenced but back in the day those guys would maybe have a roland MC8 or other 4 track CV recorder that they could get the composition done on and then port the CV to whatever they had avail for tracking / mixing...

Mastering Studio Boston - New Alliance East Audio Mastering Cambridge MA

https://www.facebook.com/newallianceeast

https://twitter.com/newallianceeast

New Alliance East Mastering | LinkedIn

xbs111.wordpress.com | xbs111.wordpress.com
Old 22nd October 2013
Quote:
Originally Posted by CorduroyClub View Post
so I'd have to record each note separately with MIDI?
With or without MIDI-sync'd passes. You could always play them live without MIDI, then line them up in the DAW.
Old 22nd October 2013
Lives for gear

Arp 2600 has 3 oscillators so you can make three note chords like that too. As well as overdubbing as others have mentioned. The new Waldorf pulse 2 which is a mono-synth has paraphonic capabilities which can do up to 8 voice chords. Not sure how this works exactly but I think it splits the one voice into multiple somehow.
Old 23rd October 2013
Gear Head

Quote:
Originally Posted by NewAllianceEast! View Post
If you wanted you could write a piece of music using a poly VA synth in the computer in a sequencing DAW.
Once you have all the parts worked out. you can split them to monophonic lines ( unless you record them MIDI as such! ) and port them to the MS20mini one at a time and record them as multitrack audio.

Clever, I like that approach! I'll give that a shot for sure, thanks
Old 23rd October 2013
Lives for gear

Yeah, you can set up a Mon synth to do stacked 5ths. That way you could do a simple closed voicing of a minor or major 7th chord with 2 notes. You might have to manually detune the 5th with a mod wheel by a semitone to get dominant 7ths, but it's quite possible.

Sure it's a pain, but you get lovely portamento effects that poly synths struggle to imitate. It's part of what makes mono synths cool.
Old 24th October 2013
Lives for gear

1) listen to Switched on Bach
2) weep
Old 25th October 2013
0e0
Gear Maniac
multitrack recording is one thing.

i definitely know of some people that use Autosampler (or things like it) to make multisamples of their monosynths. (that can become very diabolical)

no matter what there is fun to be had doing a project like this.

j

0=0
Topic:

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search