The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 All  This Thread  Reviews  Gear Database  Gear for sale     Latest  Trending
Microphone's gain is too weak?
Old 20th October 2013
Here for the gear

Microphone's gain is too weak?

Hey guys. heh

So I just got a Rode NT2-A Mic with a Xenyx 1002FX Phantom power supply/ 10-input 2-Bus mixer and I've been unable to record audio well.

So. I connect the microphone to the Xenyx, turn the Phantom power supply on, connect my earphones to the Xenyx through the Phones output and the only way I can hear myself talk/sing is by increasing the gain/volume (whatever it's called, I'm new to audio engineering) to almost maximum, but when I do that, I get a way more than subtle buzzing sound. Now, I looked up tutorials, and the guy seems to use a condenser microphone similar to my own, and the exact same Xenyx, and his volume/gain settings are set way lower than what I have to do to actually hear me talk/sing, and also he gets no buzzing sound. Just clear vocals.

I think that the problem is the Xenyx preamp/mixer thing, cause I tried plugging my electric guitar in and I got the same thing. No buzzing sound, but to actually hear the guitar I had to turn the volume/gain on the mixer almost all the way up again.

Any help would be much appreciated, I'm extremely frustrated and I really don't think spending money on getting a guy to come and fix it is worth it.
Old 20th October 2013
Gear Maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by JasonKWhite View Post
Hey guys. heh

So I just got a Rode NT2-A Mic with a Xenyx 1002FX Phantom power supply/ 10-input 2-Bus mixer and I've been unable to record audio well.

So. I connect the microphone to the Xenyx, turn the Phantom power supply on, connect my earphones to the Xenyx through the Phones output and the only way I can hear myself talk/sing is by increasing the gain/volume (whatever it's called, I'm new to audio engineering) to almost maximum, but when I do that, I get a way more than subtle buzzing sound. Now, I looked up tutorials, and the guy seems to use a condenser microphone similar to my own, and the exact same Xenyx, and his volume/gain settings are set way lower than what I have to do to actually hear me talk/sing, and also he gets no buzzing sound. Just clear vocals.

I think that the problem is the Xenyx preamp/mixer thing, cause I tried plugging my electric guitar in and I got the same thing. No buzzing sound, but to actually hear the guitar I had to turn the volume/gain on the mixer almost all the way up again.

Any help would be much appreciated, I'm extremely frustrated and I really don't think spending money on getting a guy to come and fix it is worth it.
You could have the pad on the pre and the Mic.... Turn them off and you should be good to go....
Old 21st October 2013
Here for the gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Noidea. View Post
You could have the pad on the pre and the Mic.... Turn them off and you should be good to go....
Uhh haha sorry for sounding too newbie but what do you mean the pad? And turn "them" off, who are "them"?
Old 21st October 2013
Lives for gear

Do the LED meters show strong signal?
Old 21st October 2013
Gear Addict

The first step is to check that everything is setup properly.

Starting with the NT2, you have three switches on the black panel.

The top switch changes the polar pattern between cardioid (in front of the mic) figure of 8 (in front and behind the mic) and omni (all around the mic). For now, set the switch to the middle position, which is cardioid.

The middle switch controls the HPF (high pass filter). This is an EQ switch which removes some bass from whatever the mic is recording. You have the option to remove everything below 40Hz, 80Hz or nothing at all. Set this to the middle setting, which is removing nothing.

The bottom switch is your pad/attenuation switch. This reduces the signal coming out of the mic by either 0dB, 5dB or 10dB. Make sure this is set to 0 so nothing is being attenuated.

Now you want to plug the mic into channel 1 of your Xenyx. Once the mic is plugged in engage phantom power and set your master fader (the only fader on the right of the mixer) to 0.

Next set the level knob at the bottom of channel 1 to 0 (the middle position) and adjust the trim knob at the top of channel 1 until you have a strong enough signal. You should be getting both green lights on the right side of the mixer to light up, but not the amber or red. If these are illuminated then your signal is too loud and you should reduce the trim level. Depending on what you are recording, you shouldn't need to go above half way to get a decent signal.

Also, make sure that all three blue EQ knobs are set to their middle positions, the red FX knob is set all the way to the left, and the black pan knobs is in the center.

Last edited by ZombieMorg; 21st October 2013 at 03:26 PM.. Reason: Spelling/more info
Old 21st October 2013
Quote:
Uhh haha sorry for sounding too newbie but what do you mean the pad? And turn "them" off, who are "them"?
A pad attenuates the level of a signal. On your mic it's the switch a the bottom. Make sure it's set to 0.
Old 22nd October 2013
Here for the gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZombieMorg View Post
The first step is to check that everything is setup properly.

Starting with the NT2, you have three switches on the black panel.

The top switch changes the polar pattern between cardioid (in front of the mic) figure of 8 (in front and behind the mic) and omni (all around the mic). For now, set the switch to the middle position, which is cardioid.

The middle switch controls the HPF (high pass filter). This is an EQ switch which removes some bass from whatever the mic is recording. You have the option to remove everything below 40Hz, 80Hz or nothing at all. Set this to the middle setting, which is removing nothing.

The bottom switch is your pad/attenuation switch. This reduces the signal coming out of the mic by either 0dB, 5dB or 10dB. Make sure this is set to 0 so nothing is being attenuated.

Now you want to plug the mic into channel 1 of your Xenyx. Once the mic is plugged in engage phantom power and set your master fader (the only fader on the right of the mixer) to 0.

Next set the level knob at the bottom of channel 1 to 0 (the middle position) and adjust the trim knob at the top of channel 1 until you have a strong enough signal. You should be getting both green lights on the right side of the mixer to light up, but not the amber or red. If these are illuminated then your signal is too loud and you should reduce the trim level. Depending on what you are recording, you shouldn't need to go above half way to get a decent signal.

Also, make sure that all three blue EQ knobs are set to their middle positions, the red FX knob is set all the way to the left, and the black pan knobs is in the center.
I have done all this perfectly and the situation is still the same, although I just noticed today that the Xenyx's power cable's end is missing a pin, out of those three: ; So one of the three small circular holes on the Xenyx itself is not connected.

The Xenyx works, but maybe that causes the problem? I don't know.
Old 22nd October 2013
Lives for gear

Low gain is definitely a sign that a condenser mic is not receiving phantom power. The missing pin connection on your phantom power device is likely your problem if there are no pads engaged.
Old 22nd October 2013
Here for the gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by archfrenemy View Post
Low gain is definitely a sign that a condenser mic is not receiving phantom power. The missing pin connection on your phantom power device is likely your problem if there are no pads engaged.
Alright guys, thanks a bunch, I'll go buy a new one as soon as I can and I'll update.
Old 22nd October 2013
Lives for gear

Quote:
Alright guys, thanks a bunch, I'll go buy a new one as soon as I can and I'll update.
I would call their customer support first.
Old 22nd October 2013
Lives for gear

Good luck if you actually get support from Behry... buy a Mackie!
Old 22nd October 2013
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by loujudson View Post
Good luck if you actually get support from Behry... buy a Mackie!
Or a Steinberg UR22 / UR824... Definitely look around at some better low cost options and don't just re-buy.
Old 22nd October 2013
Lives for gear
I can't tell from your post whether you have a recording level problem or a monitoring level problem, because what you mention is not hearing yourself when you talk/sing, and I didn't find any indication that your recording levels are too low. Have you tried recording the signal and looking at the recorded levels?

If the recording levels are adequate then you have a monitoring gain problem, not an input problem.
Old 23rd October 2013
Gear Maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by PhilDW View Post
I can't tell from your post whether you have a recording level problem or a monitoring level problem, because what you mention is not hearing yourself when you talk/sing, and I didn't find any indication that your recording levels are too low. Have you tried recording the signal and looking at the recorded levels?

If the recording levels are adequate then you have a monitoring gain problem, not an input problem.
+1 critical thinking.....sorry I started down the pad path...goof
Topic:

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search