The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 All  This Thread  Reviews  Gear Database  Gear for sale     Latest  Trending
Krk rokit 5 g3 vs yamaha hs5
Old 19th October 2013
Here for the gear

Krk rokit 5 g3 vs yamaha hs5

So I can choose either, which one is better for producing electronic music? Which one is better for rock? Acoustic? Jazz?

I know they are low end.
Old 17th November 2013
Here for the gear

See if you can find out what your favorite producers are using, and find out how these two speakers compare to what they're mixing through. I like my Rokit 5 G3s a lot, and tend to find the HS5s a little underwhelming on the high end, but it's a matter of your ears.
Old 18th November 2013
I went from gen 2 krk rokit 8's to Yamaha HS80m's and it was a decision I'll never regret. I think p, to me at least, the Yamaha's translate better and while they don't sound as "good" or pleasing, that's what you want! Unless you're just producing and not doing your own mixdowns, then by all means go for the KRK's, definitely more hyped low end on them. I know tons of EDM and hip hop artists who use them for producing
Old 18th November 2013
Gear Head

You will get a flatter more true sound from the yams, but better EDM sound from krk,I prefer to produce, mix and master with the flattest sounding possible, but honestly you can not properly mix with anything smaller than a 6 cuz u need the bass response, and also want a few pairs of headphones to reference, one 20hz to 20khz and then a pair with a lot wider freq response as well... If u are gunna use the 5" monitors only probally get a 10w sub with it... But again ur mix won't sound good without a sub... I have a set 4" a set of 6" and a set of 8" and 2 different sets of cans I use for all my mixes and since I set up that way I get killer sounding mixes
Old 18th November 2013
Gear Head

What I mean is just spend the little extra on a set of 6" monitors for now and then later add a set of 4s and 8s with a three way controller like the mackie big knob
Old 18th November 2013
Lives for gear

Either will be fine for your needs they're both very accomplished monitors! If it was my money I'd buy the yams but not the 50s it's got to be the 80s the KRK Rokit 5s have better bass extension but it's wooly. Agin look to the 6s because if your doing electronic music that bottom end is going to be important.
Just pick the one at the better price then learn them and forget about them. Room treatment is much more crucial anyways lol
Old 18th November 2013
Gear Nut

I'm using the Yamahas with the matching subwoofer and it "sounds" great--meaning, my mixes sound like they're supposed to in the car, on my home stereo, through headphones, etc. In a studio monitor, you want something that "sounds" like your mix. I've heard the KRK's have a hyped low end and this was actually mentioned. While I agree that larger monitors give better bass response (I think the lowest the Yamahas go without a sub is 55Hz), it's not IMPOSSIBLE to do an EDM mix on smaller speakers, it just may not translate the way it should without the sub-bass frequencies being heard during mixdown. My mixes got way better once I added the sub to my system (I mix mostly pop and rock music, VERY LITTLE EDM). So yes, sub bass frequencies will help you in your mixes. Find the speakers or combination of sub and speakers that will give you that as well as the transparency you need for mix translation to other sound sources. The Yamahas with the matching sub give me that. My 2 cents.
Topic:

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search