The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 All  This Thread  Reviews  Gear Database  Gear for sale     Latest  Trending
Is my vision-setup possible? if so- how, and what gear?
Old 18th October 2013
Here for the gear

Is my vision-setup possible? if so- how, and what gear?

Old 19th October 2013
Gear Addict

Since it looks really complicated I will limit my post to routing your drum machine, the rest should be similar. So you've got 8 outs, which goes into 8 ins in console. Then you manipulate the sounds with console eq, send signals to outboard effects, pan the drums as you play and want it all to be recorded to your DAW.

Direct outs are not an option because you will loose all your eq, and pan changes. If you really manipulate pans of all R8 outs, then to record them separately you will need 16 bus console, that will give you 8 pairs of outs to connect to 16 inputs of your audio interface. Then using 4 aux sends, you connect your effects and route their outs, to next 8 channels of your console which can be connected to another 8 inputs of your audio interface via direct outs, or if you want to manipulate returns with console eq you need to send them to your recording buses, so you need another 8 buses. To have 24 buses you need large format live or studio console, which is out of your budget. So you need to be reasonable.

Maybe for example you don't pan and don't change eq on some of your drum machine outs, like kick for example. You can use direct outs on these instruments to connect to your interface. Then maybe there are instruments you want to change eq as you play but don't need panning. You can use only one bus in your console for such source. Also you can assign more then one source to the same buss. You limit your further options, but if you choose wisely, maybe it won't be a problem. After all it looks like you create you music live, and just want to spice it a bit in DAW.

I think you should aim at fitting everything in 8-bus console with direct outs, on every channels. Then audio interface with at least 16 ins.

Finally let me point out that if you send more then one source to any effect, what will come back will be a mix of a signals, and it's pretty uncommon to use compressor on aux, but if it does what you want there's nothing wrong with it.
Old 19th October 2013
Gear Head

What you are asking for is a bit unreasonable and very unusual. In order for what you want to work, you would have to have a bus for each channel that you use, and two buses for every aux you use. Buses aren't stereo, so being able to pan would require 2 buses per channel. This is impossible with analog boards (at least I couldn't find any analog boards with more then 12 buses), unless you plan on spending 100's of thousands of dollars building a custom board. This is possible with digital boards, for instance TASCAM DM-4800 | Sweetwater.com, but I wouldn't spend all your money just on the board just so you can EQ and add effects during recording. Personally I would just record it dry and do the EQing and effects afterwards. This will give you more control of your sound, and if you end up doing something that you don't really like while doing it the way you want, there is no way to change it. You can always send the signal to the effects you are looking for, and even if you really want to you can use the EQ from the board by mixing it on the board.
Topic:

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search