The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 All  This Thread  Reviews  Gear Database  Gear for sale     Latest  Trending
Do you prefer panning or eq first?
Old 18th October 2013
Gear Nut

Do you prefer panning or eq first?

Hi there.
I was wondering if I could get some opinions about panning or eq'ing 1st and why. So far I pan 1st than eq. I often check my mix for frequency masking on my avantone mix cube.
Cheers
-M
Sent from my i-mobile IQ1-1
Old 18th October 2013
Here for the gear

The static mix comes first, so yes, static levels and panning. Then all the rest: corrective eq first, then compression and coloured eq in the order you prefer or that suits best the track. It's not a law but the way most people work.
Old 18th October 2013
Lives for gear
I think I've been EQing first, but I don't think much of it.

How is that avantone? thinking of getting on for the same reason. Not to change the subject, but where do you keep it, off to the side?
Old 18th October 2013
Lives for gear

I always level and pan first. I only EQ when necessary. (Other than minor EQ adjustments during tracking that is.)
Old 18th October 2013
Gear Head

I Pan first and EQ as necessary afterwards. When you pan the sound sits in the mix differently, so certain frequencies that may be overbearing when centered may not be an issue once panned.
Old 18th October 2013
Gear Nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by smoke View Post
I think I've been EQing first, but I don't think much of it.

How is that avantone? thinking of getting on for the same reason. Not to change the subject, but where do you keep it, off to the side?
I love it. When everything is coming through that and it's balanced I know i'm doing something right...great for checking phase and midrange it's also has a fast response to transients
I just keep it to the right of one of my monitors...don't have to worry about a sweet spot.
Old 18th October 2013
Lives for gear

the only time I really eq first is if there is some really abrasive high end sounds that are either annoying or abrasive. otherwise its rough mix first then processing.
Old 18th October 2013
Deleted #255447
try the mute button.
Old 19th October 2013
Rough eq first followed by pan followed by more eq!
Old 19th October 2013
Lives for gear

I always mix in mono to check the mix. Panning comes after EQ and before volume changes, primarily on leads.

And I have been using Auratone Sound Cubes to check my mixes and my MP3's for years. It's a great representation of a cheap car or computer stereo system.
Old 19th October 2013
Pan before EQ for me
A.
Old 19th October 2013
Depends on whether I've showered that day lol!

Generally I use the same panning arrangement so I do it first knowing i will change it later once I eq it....
Old 20th October 2013
Lives for gear

Mono compatibility is important to me, so I always strive to get a decent amount of separation before doing any panning. Getting a good rough mix in mono to start off with makes things much easier down the line and saves me a lot of time. Panning things away from each other early on in an attempt to achieve separation isn't a good idea in my opinion, it's a quick and easy "fix" that doesn't really solve anything - as soon as you sum to mono, everything falls apart. So panning comes relatively late in my workflow, and definitely after any EQ that may be required to get a fair amount of track separation.

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search