The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 All  This Thread  Reviews  Gear Database  Gear for sale     Latest  Trending
Tweeter not working
Old 18th October 2013
Here for the gear

Tweeter not working

So it was unfortunate when I noticed the tweeter in one of my Polk Audio monitor 4s wasn't working. I got a new one and replaced it, but it seems to not be a problem with the tweeter itself because the replacement didn't work either. Can anyone think of what the problem could be?
Old 18th October 2013
Lives for gear

I guess these are passive speakers ?
It might be the amp or the crossover.
Have you tried switching L/R cables ?
Old 19th October 2013
The Polk Monitor4 is a passive speaker. First, as kosty suggested, try switching your power amp channel outputs at the speaker cables, not amp inputs, just to be sure that you haven't lost the highs on one channel.

Assuming that the problem remains with the speaker, and assuming that you made solid connections when you installed the new HF driver, the most likely candidate for the problem is a bad series crossover capacitor. also, the speaker might possibly have a fuse on the crossover board. Inspect the crossover for anything that looks like a fuse.

If you don't find a fuse, speakers like the Polks usually use a "non-polarized" electrolytic capacitor in series with the tweeter. It may be a single cap, or two connected "back to back". Look for something with a rating near 6 to 15 uF at 50 volts or so. If you're sure the new driver is good (measure its voice coil resistance with an ohmmeter), and you're absolutely sure the connections are good, then it's time to change the crossover cap. If there are two, they must both be changed and both replacements should be identical models/brands.

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search