The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 All  This Thread  Reviews  Gear Database  Gear for sale     Latest  Trending
Picking Monitors
Old 18th October 2013
Here for the gear

Picking Monitors

Hi,

I'm not an audio engineer. In fact I'm just looking for better speakers. I figured it's worth it to post a thread here though because I would think you guys know these things better than most people.

I'm using Logitech z2300 right now. That's a $100, 2.1 system. It's not that amazing. I am thinking about upgrading to two Krk Rokit 5 G1s. The reason for the upgrade is because I recently did an impulse buy where I went from integrated onboard audio to a better sound card, Asus Xonar STX. The reason why I picked the Rokit5s is because it's cheap, good quality for the money, and I can get two of them for $150 flat (no tax, shipping, etc). That's $75 each. I think Krk Rokit5 G2 represents a decent value at $240 (I have to factor in tax and shipping) for both speakers. The g1s I can get for like 40% less cost.

Sound isn't my profession. I'm just a normal person on my desktop that games and listens to music. While some higher end speakers from Yamaha or something might deliver audio difference I can actually hear, I'm not sure if that's really worth it for my usage and my wallet.

Do you think getting those two Rokit5 G1s for $150 is a good idea? I understand in this professional world those speakers are not top class but for many regular folks, MY speakers are great, LOL. Unless there is some speaker set I've overlooked?

The Asus Xonar STX has two inputs for RCA cables. No XLR. If I get the Rokit and plug them straight into my sound card I have nowhere to plug in my subwoofer. Speaking of which, my subwoofer would still be from Z2300. Do you figure Rokit's bass would be better than Z2300's even though the Rokits are Rokit5s? I know one day I will have a decent subwoofer, so eventually I just plug the RCA cables from Rokit to subwoofer, subwoofer to sound card.

Thanks.
Old 18th October 2013
Lives for gear
if your not producing, get an amp and some passives from ebay. You don't want monitors at this price point for what you do.
Old 18th October 2013
Here for the gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by psykx View Post
if your not producing, get an amp and some passives from ebay. You don't want monitors at this price point for what you do.
Hey, can you tell me why?
Old 18th October 2013
Lives for gear

krk is fine for your purpose
Old 18th October 2013
Here for the gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by kosty View Post
krk is fine for your purpose
Thanks for the reply.
What about my subwoofer issue? If I plug in the KRK into my sound card, there's nowhere to plug in the subwoofer. I can't plug in KRK into my subwoofer as KRKs are active speakers.

Is the bass in Krk Rokit5 G1 somewhat comparable or better than the Z2300's bass? This would be comparing $150 monitors to $100 Logitech 2.1 desktop speakers, odd comparison I know.
Old 18th October 2013
Lives for gear

Don't buy the first pair of monitors you find. Monitors are important not only for mixing but you should be able to listen to them for hours without getting tired.

Visit you local music store and test some different monitors playing your favorite music which you know how it should sound.

Kind regards
Demokid
Old 18th October 2013
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dark_wizzie View Post
Thanks for the reply.
What about my subwoofer issue? If I plug in the KRK into my sound card, there's nowhere to plug in the subwoofer. I can't plug in KRK into my subwoofer as KRKs are active speakers.

Is the bass in Krk Rokit5 G1 somewhat comparable or better than the Z2300's bass? This would be comparing $150 monitors to $100 Logitech 2.1 desktop speakers, odd comparison I know.
KRK won't probably go as low as your sub. You can connect the krk via rca and the sub form the headphone out of your subwoofer or vice versa. That's if you can output both rca and the TRS out at the same time.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Demokid View Post
Don't buy the first pair of monitors you find. Monitors are important not only for mixing but you should be able to listen to them for hours without getting tired.
Visit you local music store and test some different monitors playing your favorite music which you know how it should sound.
I guess that's not important here considering the context.
Old 18th October 2013
Here for the gear

Quote:
KRK won't probably go as low as your sub. You can connect the krk via rca and the sub form the headphone out of your subwoofer or vice versa. That's if you can output both rca and the TRS out at the same time.

I guess that's not important here considering the context.
When the headphone out is connected the subwoofer automatically stops playing sound IIRC.
Any way to test this?
I just put earbuds into the headphone jack and if I don't hear subwoofer working, then this won't work, right?

If that makes any sense. I'm tired and sick atm.

If I don't get my speakers soon though, I won't be able to get the Rokits for $150.
Old 18th October 2013
Lives for gear

Quote:
When the headphone out is connected the subwoofer automatically stops playing sound IIRC.

If I don't get my speakers soon though, I won't be able to get the Rokits for $150.
Then this won't work with your sound card. Forget about the sub. Logitech ones are really crap anyway...
Old 18th October 2013
Here for the gear

Quote:
Then this won't work with your sound card. Forget about the sub. Logitech ones are really crap anyway...
I'm not that big on the bass compared to some of my friends but if bass randomly disappeared I would notice. Hope KRK 5s can hold up.

What subwoofer do you think would be an upgrade from z2300 without being too expensive? For future upgrades.

Is there a way to combine 2 RCA and a 3mm jack together?
Old 20th October 2013
Lives for gear
Quote:
Hey, can you tell me why?
when I read your original message I took from it that you only wanted to play games and listen to music rather than work on music. Rereading your original message (and the fact you're posting on here) I'm not sure I was correct.

I recommend hifi gear because monitors tend to sound detailed rather than nice.
Old 20th October 2013
Gear Maniac

Depends on your budget, buy best you can / read reviews of monitors that fall within said budget to get the best bang for your buck.
Old 21st October 2013
Here for the gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by psykx View Post
when I read your original message I took from it that you only wanted to play games and listen to music rather than work on music. Rereading your original message (and the fact you're posting on here) I'm not sure I was correct.

I recommend hifi gear because monitors tend to sound detailed rather than nice.
You are correct. I game and listen to music. I don't produce or edit music.
Old 21st October 2013
Lives for gear

Rokit5's are fine for your purposes.
Old 24th October 2013
Lives for gear
Quote:
You are correct. I game and listen to music. I don't produce or edit music.
Then definitely don't by monitors. They aren't designed to sound nice, they are designed to sound detailed and reveal flaws in the audio.

Get an amp and some speakers from ebay.
Old 24th October 2013
Lives for gear

I am sure those will work. For those purposes I have JBL Creature system which is subs and small desktops. I find them fun to listen to.
Topic:

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search