The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 All  This Thread  Reviews  Gear Database  Gear for sale     Latest  Trending
Difference between stems & master?
Old 18th October 2013
Gear Head

Difference between stems & master?

If someone requests the stems or a master to a track, what are they asking for? or is the master/stems the same terminology?

Or if they are different, can someone explain to me the difference in laymen terms, explain it to me like I'm an 8 year old

Thanks!
Old 18th October 2013
Lives for gear

Stems are groups of like instrument tracks that have been bounced down to a stereo mix for that particular group of instruments - so you would have a drums & percussion stem, vocal stem, orchestral stem, guitar stem, etc... that are then mixed & massaged into a final stereo track.

A master is the final stereo mix of all tracks and is essentially the finished product.
Old 18th October 2013
Stems are individual elements, or groups of elements, separated. A master is the whole song in 1 file, that can't be separated.
Old 19th October 2013
Gear Head

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bender412 View Post
Stems are individual elements, or groups of elements, separated. A master is the whole song in 1 file, that can't be separated.
No I'm not referring to the master of the song, I was referring to like, a master reel. But it's clear to me now that a master would be everything all divided up on it's own
Old 19th October 2013
Gear Head

Quote:
Originally Posted by aaeronn View Post
Stems are groups of like instrument tracks that have been bounced down to a stereo mix for that particular group of instruments - so you would have a drums & percussion stem, vocal stem, orchestral stem, guitar stem, etc... that are then mixed & massaged into a final stereo track.

A master is the final stereo mix of all tracks and is essentially the finished product.
Thanks!
Topic:

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search