The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 All  This Thread  Reviews  Gear Database  Gear for sale     Latest  Trending
How does 96khz foldback nicely to 44.1?
Old 16th October 2013
Here for the gear

How does 96khz foldback nicely to 44.1?

Hey guys, probably a very noobie question here.

I see all the time that people record and process audio at 96khz, and even up to 192khz. This makes sense that you'd want to track with more high frequency material, and I've gathered that many people feel their plugins work better at higher rates.

But with music, wouldn't the nicer sampling rate be 88.2khz as it's double 44.1 and would therefore down sample much smoother to CD quality? Wouldn't going from 96khz to 44.1 cause some noticeable artifacts (aliasing I think?)

Always been confusing to me, thanks
Old 16th October 2013
Lives for gear

Hi,
With the usual SRC algorithms it makes no difference whether the ratio is an integer or not.
I won't go into the SR debate but I think it's safe saying there aren't many people working at 192kHz.
A.
Old 16th October 2013
Basically, for most SRC algorithms it works fine. All SRCs create artifacts, but for most currently used versions, the artifacts are typically 100dB or more below 0dB (FS) and/or out of the audio passband. Most "buggy" algorithms have been fixed by now. However, there still are differences, some work much better than others. All SRCs are not created equal.

See Dave Horrocks Comparison site for details.

For instance, compare the Audacity 1.39 SRC to Adobe CS6 Media converter on the 1kHz tone test.
Old 16th October 2013
Lives for gear

There's a great comparison of SRC algorithms here:

SRC Comparisons

The real benefit of recording at higher sample rate ( even 48k ) over 44.1 is that every track you record at 44.1 will have the same digital filtering going on in the high end. this is to avoid frequency aliasing / fold back issues. This means that the highs on all your tracks already have bad filtering on them. Then they are added to a bunch of other tracks with bad filtering and burned to a cd and played back under the duress of many levels of bad filtering.

If you record at 48 or higher all of those filter 'distortions' will be well outside of the audio range of cd. This makes these higher sample rates sound better. also when you go from 96 to 44.1 with a good SRC you get one pass of filtering in stead of many many many.

make sense? Also we upsample for mastering so that any tape / tubes / electrons we use in the process are captured more accurately at a higher rate.

Furthermore, all of your plugins are probably up sampling to 88 or 96 internally anyway. why would you want to force them to SRC back to 44.1 when you can avoid the whole issue at higher session sample rates.

Mastering Studio Boston - New Alliance East Audio Mastering Cambridge MA

https://www.facebook.com/newallianceeast

https://twitter.com/newallianceeast

New Alliance East Mastering | LinkedIn
Old 16th October 2013
Gear Addict

The iZotope 64 bit SRC specs are pretty incredible. That site is awesome. Thanks Lotus!
Old 17th October 2013
Here for the gear

Thanks guys! You answered it perfectly. So it would be beneficial in everyday practice when tracking and mixing to clock and set plugins at 96khz, and then bounce it down to 44.1 using a program with a good SRC?

I'm assuming SRC stands for Sample Rate Compression, am I right about that?
Old 17th October 2013
Sample Rate Converter
Old 17th October 2013
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by disinfor View Post
The iZotope 64 bit SRC specs are pretty incredible. That site is awesome. Thanks Lotus!
Check out Audicity 2.03 also! Very nice.
Topic:

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search