The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 All  This Thread  Reviews  Gear Database  Gear for sale     Latest  Trending
Is This True?
Old 16th October 2013
Here for the gear

Is This True?

Somone told me that if you put your home studio monitors on your bed to mix down you would get the same effect as being in a studio because the mattress will absorb any slap back etc..... I've only been making beats a few weeks so I don't know weather this is true or not. Please help.
Old 16th October 2013
KEL
Lives for gear

not true. they aim out so whats all around also matters, not just what they sit on. Studios spend lots of time and money adjusting acoustics

clouds can mean rain sometimes.
Old 16th October 2013
Lives for gear

True
You can also use your toilet to simulate room reverb and your larger bathroom as alternative to a "large hall" reverb preset !

As an alternative to the mattress under the monitors, you can use an Ostrich pillow (http://www.ostrichpillow.com/) so that the early reflections are absorbed before reaching your ears.
Old 16th October 2013
Absolutely true. That's why mixing in an untreated studio with a couple of 3 inch KRKs on a mattress is just as good as a fully acoustically treated mastering suite with Genelec 1035Bs.

Don't you know that if it's published on the Internet it has to be true?

It's really a shame that nobody ever told those guys who have invested over $100K in their studios that a old mattress could do the job as well.

Another little known true fact: If you stuff cotton up your nose and sing into a SM57, you'll sound better than if you had used a U47.

KEL, Thanks for the clouds tip, Who knew?
Old 16th October 2013
Lives for gear

i only mix on vintage NS10's that i have specially stabbed the tweeters on so that the highs are more silky. this makes the 40hz frequency response of my flute samples sound more massive like an 808 sub drop in fruity loops as i mix while sitting on the tiolet!

sorry in advance for the snark! lol.

Mastering Studio Boston - New Alliance East Audio Mastering Cambridge MA

https://www.facebook.com/newallianceeast

https://twitter.com/newallianceeast

New Alliance East Mastering | LinkedIn
Old 17th October 2013
Lives for gear

This sounds like a logical way to make the most out of limited resources. It's probably true that a mattress would reduce the reflections you'd get from a harder horizontal surface, like a desk...however, the problems with this approach would almost certainly outweigh the benefits. Among the problems are:

-monitors hard to keep on an even plane
-hard to maintain the ideal equilateral triangle, with your monitors as two points and your head as another, in the sweet spot
-hard to keep your ears level with your monitors
-unless you're willing to move your mattress around, the mattress might be in an acoustically worse part of the room than your usual position, for any number of problems such as standing bass waves and early reflections

Good to be thinking about your monitors and your room when it comes to mixing, but this isn't the solution. There are a lot of resources here for how to treat a room (and position monitors), even on a budget--poke around a bit and I'm sure you'll find lots of helpful info.
Old 17th October 2013
Lives for gear

It is good advice not to take anything you read on the internet as gospel. Treat your space with what you have available budget wise. Good luck.

Quote:
Originally Posted by kosty View Post
True
You can also use your toilet to simulate room reverb and your larger bathroom as alternative to a "large hall" reverb preset !

As an alternative to the mattress under the monitors, you can use an Ostrich pillow (Ostrich Pillow ®) so that the early reflections are absorbed before reaching your ears.
Great, now I want an Ostrich pillow. Thanks
Old 17th October 2013
Lives for gear

Except, assuming all the springs being the same length, they will as resonate at the same frequency. Like a big cuddly spring reverb.

I'll give it more credit than the egg-carton on the wall trick (I know a guy who had saved nearly a 100 of them once) but it's still not true. And, to be honest, I'll always give credit to any solution that isn't "Throw money at it". Though there is a bottom line with this stuff...
Old 17th October 2013
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jazz Noise View Post
Except, assuming all the springs being the same length, they will as resonate at the same frequency. Like a big cuddly spring reverb.

I'll give it more credit than the egg-carton on the wall trick (I know a guy who had saved nearly a 100 of them once) but it's still not true. And, to be honest, I'll always give credit to any solution that isn't "Throw money at it". Though there is a bottom line with this stuff...
Or the "Hustle and Flow" poor-man's soundproofing (fastfood cardboard drink carriers)
Old 17th October 2013
Here for the gear

Some great replys. Thanks everybody I'm definitely going to take the advice and use it well. I'm not sure my mum will be happy with me using the bathroom as a studio tho for my big air reverb effect. Hhmmm I wounded if putting my monitors in the fridge will give me a nice flanger effect.
Old 18th October 2013
Lives for gear

Maybe there should be an "Is This True?" thread, because lets be honest, acoustics isn't the most obvious subject in the world. I have one:

I read an article about tracking guitars. I honestly can't recall where online I found it but the website was respectable enough for me to read the article, agree with most of it, and then be utterly confused by the last part. Basically is said in order to eliminate the effect of the room you are monitoring in (if its a square or rectangle), place 4 studio monitors in each corner aimed directly towards the center of the room which is where your listening position will be. I'm assuming this was only for mono guitar tracks but the article basically went on to say that having the same track coming at you from 4 equal directions will somehow neutralize the room reflections and their impact on the sound. I can't test this, my guess is its not effective, but you never know...
Topic:

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search