The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 All  This Thread  Reviews  Gear Database  Gear for sale     Latest  Trending
Mixer/Audio Interface Use
Old 16th October 2013
Here for the gear

Mixer/Audio Interface Use

I have a Yamaha MG166CX-USB mixer. It has USB. It has effects. I use neither. I use it live a lot. My question is, could I pair it with an audio interface with 8+ I/O to use in a DAW? I know I could use it has a mixer *after* recording into the DAW. For instance, I could record 8 mics on a drum set, then send all those to the mixer for an outboard, analog mix (mostly). Could I use the mixers ins for the mics, then send that to an interface (Saffire Pro 40, by Focusrite for instance)? Using the "insert" jacks, could I send and receive from the interface? Thus using the mixer as I/O?

I ask because right now I use the mixer for 4 ins. I pan ins 1 and 3 hard left, and 2 and 4 hard right. I can use the "group" outputs and send to my Focusrite Scarlett 2i2. This creates 2 stereo mixes to be recorded into a DAW. Having 8 I/O's (from the mixer) would create a studio feel at home (better than using a controller, to me at least).
Old 17th October 2013
Lives for gear
If you're gonna get a 8ch io.
You're quality for tracking would be better just using the interface and it would be much simpler as well.
Old 17th October 2013
Lives for gear

I don't quite get why you would run your DAW back out to a analog mixer? DAW's have mixers and they also have automation. I do not miss having to mix on an analog mixer and remember 100 cues! I LOVE automation. Set and forget! Running a mix into an analog mixer requires 2 more conversions ( D/A and A/D ) that's not always a good thing. There's nothing gained when you do that. Probably more like something lost!

Your mixer is a handy tool and you can use it for lots of studio tasks. If there's one person you don't need any more than the 2 channels. The mixer is a 2 channel audio interface. If the drivers are good then your set. Unless you play live drums.

But if the plan is recording 8 or more tracks live, then you need to purchase an audio interface that has the required inputs. If it comes with 8 XLR inputs then you don't really need the mixer, more stuff in the signal chain just degrades the quality.

But the mixer is still a handy tool for tracking and monitor mixes for the headphones.
I keep a bunch of stuff plugged into mine, I use a compressor on my vocals and use it to boost my headphone mix to a nice level. ( Yamaha 01v digital mixer with SPDIF out)
Topic:

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search