The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 All  This Thread  Reviews  Gear Database  Gear for sale     Latest  Trending
Classic Techno/House pad sound
Old 15th October 2013
Here for the gear

Classic Techno/House pad sound

Hello all!

I'm trying to investigate a really well known sound used in countless old techno & house tracks. Although it's been used in countless tracks, annoyingly I can only think of one example at the moment:

Winc - Thoughts Of A Tranced Love (Original Mix) - YouTube

The pad sound from about 5:07. The portamento makes me think that they just used to sample string chords and play them on the keyboard to get that effect. But sampled from what? Was it a preset on a classic synth of the time?

Any ideas?

Thanks
Old 18th October 2013
0e0
Gear Maniac
it's such a simple sound. It can be recreated on any synth that has a lowpass filter (even better if it's got one that is keytracked). and it's usually sampled as a one-**** stab.

you take a saw...or pwm waveform..or even strings on a rompler or anything with any sort of serialised harmonics...and you play a chord. minor 9th etc. with the cut off down. Sample...voila. (you can even make this sound on an organ too)

There were sample cds by Zero-G etc..that has TONS of these things.. that were rinsed by everyone in the 90s.

j

0=0
Old 18th October 2013
Here for the gear

Thanks mate.

It took me asking the question to actually get stuck in and start messing around. Pretty much as you said. I sampled some symphony/string chords from an M1. Also sampled some chords from various old records. Only problem there being that I don't know what the chord actually is (My theory is not great yet).

Cheers.
Topic:

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search