The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 All  This Thread  Reviews  Gear Database  Gear for sale     Latest  Trending
Learning how to use reverb?
Old 15th October 2013
Lives for gear

Learning how to use reverb?

Hey guys

I have always just thrown a space designer on a bus in logic then adjusted its wet/dry and then each send to the bus for reverb. However my mixes are always a bit too reverby and i dont really know how to get that short snappy reverb in house music.

I wanted to know if there are any good explanations on the parameters that matter and what typical settings / reverb types there would be in house tracks, i normally use big room but it seems too much and i use plate on my bass, but i dont know anything about what they are, just what sounds alright...

Thanks for any help its probably the most confusing thing for me at the moment!
Old 15th October 2013
Lives for gear

Depending on what you are trying to process.
The most important control I find is the reverb time.

If you want short and snappy grab a logic preset in room now mess around with the settings a little.
Try placing an EQ after the reverb which helps to shape the reverb, get rid of the lows and maybe brightening it up or less bright depending on taste.
Old 15th October 2013
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Looneytune View Post
Depending on what you are trying to process.
The most important control I find is the reverb time.

If you want short and snappy grab a logic preset in room now mess around with the settings a little.
Try placing an EQ after the reverb which helps to shape the reverb, get rid of the lows and maybe brightening it up or less bright depending on taste.
thanks im primarily talking about clap, percussion and to an extent vocal reverb.

I always EQ after the Reverb on the buss to cut below 250-300 to make sure theres no bass reverb

where do i find the preset you mentioned?
Old 15th October 2013
This is a pretty decent article on the various aspects of reverb:

Reverb
Old 15th October 2013
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by conleec View Post
This is a pretty decent article on the various aspects of reverb:

Reverb
thanks ill give it a read when i get time, i find articles quite hard to grasp without hearing what they are talking about so prefer vids / audio
Old 15th October 2013
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by infernouk View Post
thanks im primarily talking about clap, percussion and to an extent vocal reverb.

I always EQ after the Reverb on the buss to cut below 250-300 to make sure theres no bass reverb

where do i find the preset you mentioned?
Okay so percussion right.
For me I find the smaller reverbs tend to work best with percussion.
Go to your space designer and look for small spaces in drop down menu.
Go to rooms and experiment with them. I would also experiment with others such as plates, gates and spring.
Have fun.
Old 15th October 2013
Gear Guru

Start with 3 things on aux return channels to send to. One very small ambience patch with no tail. For things like kicks and things that want to essentially feel dry, just not TOO dry. A delay, like say a 3/16. And a big room.

Put them all on aux sends (i.e. put them over the return channel/aux) so you can send to them from any channel and set the effect plugs to 100%.

EQ the returns, based on sending the most important sound to them, i.e. if the ambience patch is for the kick mainly, eq it to work right with the kick in the mix, and then later you can litter a little of it about where it fits (hats?), sending from other sounds.

Same on the other two, except you want to send the delay return into the big room, too! This is essential, and what will give you the deep backdrop behind everything. Take the tops and bottoms off the delay return and boost a peak into the middle somewhere on a note that rings nicely in the music and then send that into the big room (which also wants eqing).

Just those 3 fx should enable an oldschool house mix spread. Add some modulation and autopanning stuff and you're away.

For reverb stuff, read this entire thread:

https://www.gearslutz.com/board/rap-h...echniques.html

Old 15th October 2013
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Looneytune View Post
Okay so percussion right.
For me I find the smaller reverbs tend to work best with percussion.
Go to your space designer and look for small spaces in drop down menu.
Go to rooms and experiment with them. I would also experiment with others such as plates, gates and spring.
Have fun.
Cheers ill give it a go, the whole room size and stuff still confuses me, normally when you make an audio channel in logic it auto creates 2 reverb buses so i just send to them and leave that how it is.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Karloff70 View Post
Start with 3 things on aux return channels to send to. One very small ambience patch with no tail. For things like kicks and things that want to essentially feel dry, just not TOO dry. A delay, like say a 3/16. And a big room.

Put them all on aux sends (i.e. put them over the return channel/aux) so you can send to them from any channel and set the effect plugs to 100%.

EQ the returns, based on sending the most important sound to them, i.e. if the ambience patch is for the kick mainly, eq it to work right with the kick in the mix, and then later you can litter a little of it about where it fits (hats?), sending from other sounds.

Same on the other two, except you want to send the delay return into the big room, too! This is essential, and what will give you the deep backdrop behind everything. Take the tops and bottoms off the delay return and boost a peak into the middle somewhere on a note that rings nicely in the music and then send that into the big room (which also wants eqing).

Just those 3 fx should enable an oldschool house mix spread. Add some modulation and autopanning stuff and you're away.

thanks for the detail, do i essentially want to get some level of reverb on everything then? i thought kicks didnt get reverb as low end reverb is mud?

also when you say the returns, is that the signal after the bus? normally i just snd to the bus however much i want and leave it there, im guessing for the delay you bus that into the reverb? or are there actual outputs for bus strips?

Cheers and I will read that whole thread if its going to help!

also as an example of the reverb i want to get, this is the track i heard that made me rethink how i do mine its kinda dry but not to much and has the longer background reverbs and vocals etc...

Old 15th October 2013
Gear Guru

You want to create a fresh aux track. Then put the reverb plug on it and put it to 100%. This is now your 'reverb return'. If it is aux 1, then you can now send to this verb from any channel on your mixer by sending some aux 1.

Do the same with the others. So then you have, say aux 1 is big room verb, aux 2 is small ambience verb and aux 3 is 3/16 delay. Now set the feedback of the delay so it hangs around a bit and then send aux 1 from the delay return, i.e. send the delay into the big room. This will give you the background reverb.

Read that thread, it will help no end.
Old 15th October 2013
Lives for gear

Quote:
You want to create a fresh aux track. Then put the reverb plug on it and put it to 100%. This is now your 'reverb return'. If it is aux 1, then you can now send to this verb from any channel on your mixer by sending some aux 1.

Do the same with the others. So then you have, say aux 1 is big room verb, aux 2 is small ambience verb and aux 3 is 3/16 delay. Now set the feedback of the delay so it hangs around a bit and then send aux 1 from the delay return, i.e. send the delay into the big room. This will give you the background reverb.

Read that thread, it will help no end.
got it, thats how i thought you meant to do it but wasnt 100% as i normally throw a whole chain on a bus.
Old 15th October 2013
Gear Guru

If I use Space Designer, first I cut the volume way back, then generally I'll cut the wet volume down to like 20-40% way lower than preset input saturation.

I keep learning less is more, just a touch is generally more than enough.
Old 15th October 2013
Lives for gear

Short reverbs and never talked about enough. Try some room settings under 1 second. Can push things back nicely without getting all "tails" on you. Longer reverbs can be added when you want reverb tails.
Old 15th October 2013
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by FFTT View Post
I keep learning less is more, just a touch is generally more than enough.
....which makes automation your friend here.

Automate those sends to make the effects come out when you want them to highlight things and then go back down when you don't need them quite as much. This is a wonderfully creative way to get your mix to come alive.

Old 16th October 2013
Gear Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Unclenny View Post
....which makes automation your friend here.

Automate those sends to make the effects come out when you want them to highlight things and then go back down when you don't need them quite as much. This is a wonderfully creative way to get your mix to come alive.

Sometimes I'll just add 4-6% just to take the edge off of a clean track.

Yes, automation is definitely helpful once you get the hang of it,
Old 16th October 2013
Lives for gear

Quote:

Nice one Karloff, teaching an old friend new tricks
Old 17th October 2013
Lives for gear

I note that the Reverb: Tips and Tricks link starts with pre-delay--the time between the dry sound and the audible start of the reverb. I find that adjusting pre-delay is essential to having one's dry sound cake and eating sweet reverb too.
Old 17th October 2013
Lives for gear

Best reverb on the market,,, the Echo Mike! don't laugh till you try it!
Old 17th October 2013
Gear Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by code green View Post
I note that the Reverb: Tips and Tricks link starts with pre-delay--the time between the dry sound and the audible start of the reverb. I find that adjusting pre-delay is essential to having one's dry sound cake and eating sweet reverb too.
Topic:

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search