The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 All  This Thread  Reviews  Gear Database  Gear for sale     Latest  Trending
How many Aux busses do I need?
Old 15th October 2013
  #1
Gear Head
 
astojazz's Avatar
 

How many Aux busses do I need?

This question can be applied to pretty much an DAW (I think) and I 'm not sure if this is being posted in the right area so feel free to move it. Thanks.

My question is: How many Auxillary busses do I need? I am using Logic Pro 9 and create Hippity Hop like beats son! Basically I open all available Aux busses, all 64. I use the first 20 for effects such as: Reverbs, Compressors, Delays, a SubBass effect for my Bass and Kick drum and any other desires effects. Then the next 11 Aux busses are dedicated to the drumkit. The first 9 are for the individual pieces of the kit: snare or snares, kick(s), hi-hats, other cymbals, toms etc. The last two are for the Kit submix and the Kit parallel compressor. After That I will usually use about two, three or four Aux busses for every other instrument: 3 Aux busses for piano keys, maybe another 2 for synths and so on. Do I really need to have 11 or so Aux busses for the drum kit or should I just route everything to the drum kit sub mix and leave the software or pure audio on their own tracks or should I dedicate Aux busses to each piece of the kit? Same goes with the other instruments, should I group all my synths onto one Aux buss or should I run each through their own Aux buss? I've also heard it is good to group the Kick and Bass guitar onto their own Aux buss so they sit well together in the mix. So if i was to buss each drum piece out to its own Aux buss would I then send that signal as well as the Bass guitar signal from their busses to another dedicated Bass/Kick Aux buss?
I've been teaching myself Production, Composition, Mixing and (starting to learn) Mastering for almost two years now and I still have millions of questions. Any help would be 'preciated. Thanks gearslutz peeps. Peaces!!!

P.S. any other additional info would help such as Aux stereo or mono tracks for phones mixes or any mixing specific articles on how to do this properly would be dope!

Last edited by astojazz; 15th October 2013 at 04:03 AM.. Reason: add more.
Old 15th October 2013
  #2
Lives for gear
 
skillz335's Avatar
you could process all the drums on one buss. or you could process each individual element on a separate aux and then buss the parallel busses to there own buss as well as the dry drums to there own buss for more dynamic processing or TBP. you can then buss those busses to there own buss after you get a good balance. you could then hide all tracks except your stems. I group the kick and bass some times. some times i want more separation sometimes i want them to blend almost 100% together with minimal separation. Its mixing man develop a workflow that works best for you.
Old 15th October 2013
  #3
Lives for gear
 
skillz335's Avatar
lol, when im mixing sometimes i feel like its public transportation in a metropolitan areaheh
Old 15th October 2013
  #4
Gear Head
 
astojazz's Avatar
 

What does TBP mean?
Old 15th October 2013
  #5
Lives for gear
 
skillz335's Avatar
time bases processors. delays, reverbs, flangers, and phasers. basically modulation and ****.
Old 15th October 2013
  #6
Gear Head
 
astojazz's Avatar
 

Dopeness! Skillz I appreciate the reply. Thanks man. Did you teach yourself how to mix by reading mad amounts of books and watching videos or did you go to school at say Full Sail, Pyramind or Dubspot?
Old 15th October 2013
  #7
Why are you using aux busses for individual elements? Are you familiar with inserts?
Old 15th October 2013
  #8
Lives for gear
 
skillz335's Avatar
Quote:
Originally Posted by astojazz View Post
Dopeness! Skillz I appreciate the reply. Thanks man. Did you teach yourself how to mix by reading mad amounts of books and watching videos or did you go to school at say Full Sail, Pyramind or Dubspot?
no problem astojazz, glad to help with things I can.
practice, reading, watching, trying new things, then went to CRAS then was able to learn better.


Quote:
Originally Posted by Bender412 View Post
Why are you using aux busses for individual elements? Are you familiar with inserts?
yes, but not all my plug ins have a wet dry control onboard. and I like the idea of sending multiple things to an aux to save resources.
Old 15th October 2013
  #9
Quote:
Originally Posted by skillz335 View Post
yes, but not all my plug ins have a wet dry control onboard. and I like the idea of sending multiple things to an aux to save resources.
Okay but your question was "How many aux busses do I need?" If you're happy with the way you're doing it, then what are you asking? I got the impression that you thought you might be using too many, and I definitely think you are.

It's not very common to use aux busses for each piece of a drum kit, or other individual elements. That's what inserts are for. Of course grouping is a different story.
Old 15th October 2013
  #10
Gear Head
 
astojazz's Avatar
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by skillz335 View Post
no problem astojazz, glad to help with things I can.
practice, reading, watching, trying new things, then went to CRAS then was able to learn better.
Thanks for the feedback Skillz, I'm lovin it man! What is CRAS? Creative recordings arts school or something?

Whats up Bender?! Hook me up with some info then if you think I'm using too many Aux tracks. Anythings helps, my ears are spread eagle, broseph and I can go for days!

Really appreciate it guys, thanks.
Old 16th October 2013
  #11
Lives for gear
 
skillz335's Avatar
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bender412 View Post
Okay but your question was "How many aux busses do I need?" If you're happy with the way you're doing it, then what are you asking? I got the impression that you thought you might be using too many, and I definitely think you are.

It's not very common to use aux busses for each piece of a drum kit, or other individual elements. That's what inserts are for. Of course grouping is a different story.
I wasnt asking anything, i was just trying to help astojazz with his question. Since I use alot of buss's and I think I have a pretty good product that Id say its safe to use as many buss's as one wants. for individual tracks the only thing i really insert is eq and light compression. sometimes when im being lazy things like distortion or modulation. most of my dynamic processing is parallel, as well as my modulation effects. I think I may go a little overboard with bussing, but i like the control it gives me. and with grouping i use groups sometimes as well, though i like the idea of buss's as i can turn down the master buss of whatever group is there, and if I have a good balance then I only need to see one fader instead of say 10. so yea 1 post fader send and 2 pre fader sends per element when Im being a stickler. eventually all summed to one group/stem.


"Thanks for the feedback Skillz, I'm lovin it man! What is CRAS? Creative recordings arts school or something?"

Conservatory of Recording Arts and Sciences. great school/staff, tough curriculum if you go about it correctly. I was fried 80% of my time there the other 20% i sleptheh. Honestly Im still trying to grasp alot of the information they delivered. like with everything else I have strengthens and weaknesses, and still trying to learn. though I wouldn't be half as far along as I am now without that program. lol, sorry about all that you had me all nostalgic and whatnot. and glad to help if I can.
Old 16th October 2013
  #12
Whoa skillz - that was a miscommunication ... my post #7 was for the OP, not you!!

But then you quoted me, and I didn't even notice it was you, thought it was asto replying to me. Does that make any sense lol?!
Old 16th October 2013
  #13
Quote:
Originally Posted by astojazz View Post
...Whats up Bender?! Hook me up with some info then if you think I'm using too many Aux tracks. Anythings helps, my ears are spread eagle, broseph and I can go for days!...
Check my post #7 ... it was for you. No wrong way, especially if it's working for you. But you might want to check into using inserts instead of aux sends for some individual elements.
Old 16th October 2013
  #14
Lives for gear
 
skillz335's Avatar
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bender412 View Post
Whoa skillz - that was a miscommunication ... my post #7 was for the OP, not you!!

But then you quoted me, and I didn't even notice it was you, thought it was asto replying to me. Does that make any sense lol?!
lol yea makes sense, I kind of thought the same but in reverse?!?my bad bro, the miscommunication was on my end then. I thought since your post was following mine it was for me as i was talking about using a lot of busses previous post as well. either way I wasnt mad or anything was just trying to explain myself sorry bout that.
Old 16th October 2013
  #15
Gear Head
 
astojazz's Avatar
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bender412 View Post
But you might want to check into using inserts instead of aux sends for some individual elements.
What do you mean by inserts Bender?
Old 16th October 2013
  #16
Quote:
Originally Posted by astojazz View Post
What do you mean by inserts Bender?
https://www.google.com/search?q=logi...-US%3Aofficial
Topic:
Post Reply

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.


 
 
Slide to join now Processing…
Thread Tools
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Forum Jump
Forum Jump