The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 All  This Thread  Reviews  Gear Database  Gear for sale     Latest  Trending
Stereo Recording for acoustic guitar with 2 different mics
Old 15th October 2013
  #1
Here for the gear
 

Stereo Recording for acoustic guitar with 2 different mics

So I have a 2 mics. A small diaphragm condenser (audio technica at2021) and a large diaphragm condenser mic (MXL v63m). I want to record (stereo) an Ibanez Exotic Wood guitar. Is there any technique to get the best sound with these two mics? (for example the XY technique or the spaced pair technique with a pair a SDCM's, except I don't have a pair of anything.) My room is just a regular bedroom with wood floors and no acoustic treatment at all.
Old 15th October 2013
  #2
Gear Nut
 

Cakewalk Support Knowledge Base - 10 Microphone Placement Techniques for Acoustic Guitar

I haven't looked up the specific traits on those mics, but I would probably point the LDC halfway between the sound hole and fretboard, about 8" away. As for the SDC, I would direct it towards the 6th fret about the same distance away from the guitar (and hope that the 6th fret adheres to the 3:1 rule because I'm not remembering for sure off the top of my head).
Old 15th October 2013
  #3
Lives for gear
 
Fizzyhair's Avatar
 

I like XY with an sdc and a LDC with one pointing at 12th fret and one at the guitars bridge. Both back a foot or more and up a foot so that they point down to eliminate the ceiling a bit. But really experiment to get the sound you want. The thing is to get them back from the guitar a bit to help them blend. If you go spaced you'll want to be very wary of phase issues. (Google) it's not as bad as it sounds but worth knowing a bit about. There's really no hard fast rules. Each guitar will sound different and so will need different adjustment. Try the guitar in every room going and in every position you can. Even the stairs and kitchen etc. If the recording is limited to a bedroom and lacks life in a carpeted room put something reflective under the player. When I started I'd use hardback books or a piece of Lino etc.
Old 15th October 2013
  #4
Lives for gear
 
Unclenny's Avatar
I tracked the acoustic guitar for my last project with a LDC over my right shoulder and a Shure KSM32 (Medium Diameter Condenser) out on front of the 12 fret.

Fizzyhair is right on the money. Each room will have some character and there is bound to be some sort of sweet spot for every room. Listen to your room and listen with headphones to your positioning.

Remember that with LDC microphones you are not recording the guitar only.....you are recording the room with the guitar in it.
Old 16th October 2013
  #5
Lives for gear
 
Fizzyhair's Avatar
 

Well said :-)
Old 16th October 2013
  #6
Lives for gear
 
Tinderwet's Avatar
I like this technique Eric Valentine posted here: https://www.gearslutz.com/board/6930710-post2.html

It actually works great with two different mics, too.
Old 16th October 2013
  #7
Lives for gear
Quote:
Originally Posted by JGAN View Post
Cakewalk Support Knowledge Base - 10 Microphone Placement Techniques for Acoustic Guitar

I haven't looked up the specific traits on those mics, but I would probably point the LDC halfway between the sound hole and fretboard, about 8" away. As for the SDC, I would direct it towards the 6th fret about the same distance away from the guitar (and hope that the 6th fret adheres to the 3:1 rule because I'm not remembering for sure off the top of my head).
Thanks for the link
I liked the blumlein
Old 17th October 2013
  #8
Lives for gear
 
jdier's Avatar
 

So many great options.

I like the larger mic at the 12th fret and the smaller mic either down under the sound hole picking up the picking sounds, or up over the shoulder pointed down.

What I really like, when I am recording someone else is to try to get the best sound I can with one mic (which ever I think is my best.) Shoot for the best fullest sound you can get, then move the other mic around to see if you can pick up some sounds that further improve the overall feel.
Old 17th October 2013
  #9
Lives for gear
 
Tinderwet's Avatar
Quote:
Originally Posted by jdier View Post
So many great options.

I like the larger mic at the 12th fret and the smaller mic either down under the sound hole picking up the picking sounds, or up over the shoulder pointed down.

What I really like, when I am recording someone else is to try to get the best sound I can with one mic (which ever I think is my best.) Shoot for the best fullest sound you can get, then move the other mic around to see if you can pick up some sounds that further improve the overall feel.
Do you sort out the phase problems afterwards, or you use the sound you're getting with the two mics as is?
Old 18th October 2013
  #10
Lives for gear
 
jdier's Avatar
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tinderwet View Post
Do you sort out the phase problems afterwards, or you use the sound you're getting with the two mics as is?
I tend to use the 3:1 rule (or 1:1) as I am setting up, I keep them panned hard to get a pleasing sound, then I mono them for a phase check, mostly just trusting my ears, then and I am off.
Old 18th October 2013
  #11
Lives for gear
 
Unclenny's Avatar
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tinderwet View Post
Do you sort out the phase problems afterwards, or you use the sound you're getting with the two mics as is?
I always nudge one of the tracks around judiciously just to see if I get something that sounds tighter than what I captured.
Topic:
Post Reply

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.


 
 
Slide to join now Processing…
Thread Tools
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Forum Jump
Forum Jump