The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 All  This Thread  Reviews  Gear Database  Gear for sale     Latest  Trending
How to record scratches?
Old 14th October 2013
Here for the gear

How to record scratches?

To record live vinyl cuts/scratches (from a turntable and mixer) over my drum tracks (created using the Alesis QX25 keyboard and Ableton). Would I run the output of the mixer to the line-in TRS connection on my FocusRite? Does this seem like the best connection? Is something else recommended? Would RCA to XLR connection be better?

My second question is about using the midi-in on the soundcard, is there any advantage to running the keyboard through the soundcard instead of directly to the USB on my computer?

Hope someone can help. Cheers.
Old 14th October 2013
If you have the option, using a balanced TRS connection is always preferred over an unbalanced RCA connection. The Focusrite XLR inputs are for mic-level signals and should not be used for the line-level output of your mixer.

You didn't mention the type of mixer you are using, but most have either balanced XLR or TRS main outputs. If you have TRS jacks just use a TRS/TRS cable. If XLR, use a XLR to TRS cable. Again, don't connect a line-level XLR output to a Focusrite XLR input.

Usually, the most flexible digital keyboard connection is directly via the USB connection. Most keyboards carry key commands via USB, but may don't carry any digitized audio, so you will be generating the sounds in a virtual synth (the same as if you are using MIDI). If your keyboard has analog output sounds that you prefer, you can run its analog output(s) through the line inputs on your interface or through your mixer connected to the interface as above.
Topic:

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search