The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 All  This Thread  Reviews  Gear Database  Gear for sale     Latest  Trending
Need to use Reason 4 for stereo output live (click --> drummer; synth ---> audience)
Old 14th October 2013
Here for the gear

Need to use Reason 4 for stereo output live (click --> drummer; synth ---> audience)

I'm a self-taught amateur at using reason 4, and need some assistance as far as live programming. What I need to do is get pre-arranged background tracks to play from the PA live (no click), and a separate channel playing the click (in perfect sync to the tracks) for our drummer. My current understanding is that I need an auxiliary audio card to make this split and keep the tracks synced.

If that's true, what affordable sound cards would you recommend for use with a Macbook Pro (2009 model)?

If not, what ways are there to circumvent this issue using software only (or some other method)?

Thanks in advance for any assistance.
Old 14th October 2013
Lives for gear
Depends....
Is the PA mono or stereo

bounce all tracks to one mono file.
Send the mono track out of interface output one, send the click track out 2

TRS outs to XLR in on snake or to mixer inputs. Make sure sound tech knows its line level not mic level.

Sound guy mixes your mono backing track with live inputs. Leaves your click track fader off and sends a prefader monitor send of click back down snake to your in ears or headphone amp. Headphone amp would required a balanced input to be compatible with balanced mon sends and returning it thru the snake.
some TRS to XLR adapters may be required.

Some sound techs may wish to have more control of mixing backing tracks.
In this case an interface with 8 outputs like a Motu Ultralite is handy.
Each backing element on its own track to the FOH mixer.

If the PA is stereo then bounce your tracks to stereo mix. Get an interface with 4 outputs or more. Send your stereo mix out 1/2 click on its own track output 3.
Topic:

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search